Eurodam vibration

shopperwhite

Reading reviews from cruise critic members. A lot of people complaining about vibrations throughout the ship. Very concerned about booking now. It says on the h.a. Website that Rotterdam deck may have vibrations. If it is through the ship then no different which deck we book? any info would be appreciated.

There is something wrong with this ship. We noticed it 7 years ago :cool:

I might be a good idea for HAL to video a behind the scenes tour of the engine room and all the prep areas and conduct a new-passenger orientation program so one can learn what to expect being on a large ship. And experienced passengers could also attend because it remains a fascinating operation and there are always new things to learn about its operation. What happens to the garbage. What is the laundry operation like. What do stabilizers actually do, when do they get deployed, what do they sound and feel like. Why can't we go to port in the tender when the sea surface looks so calm?

Yes, ships have to continually paint exposed surfaces, which can happen right next to one's cabin causing the fumes to invade one's outdoor enjoyment. Yes, ships have smells to greater or lesser degrees depending upon all sorts of factors out of their control .

New passengers need to understand what happen in detail when they put the wrong things down the toilets or leave their balcony doors open at night. There is no way a passenger can know everything ahead of time and those little things matter a lot not only to their own comfort but to the 1000 or so other passengers they are now sharing this enclosed and self-sustaings space with.

There is so much they can now do with animation to get all the key points covered and be entertaining too.

YES! Brilliant.

I loved those engine room tours but would not want to go down there again! A video is the perfect answer, including the extras, like the laundry room, etc as you mention!

Actually the really impressive cruisers are the ones who get the medallions for a actual days at sea - 100 - 300 - etc. Star status is just the combination of days plus money spent on things like shore excursions, double credits for suites, etc.

One cruise where we were so close to 4-star, we decided to load up on shore excursions and a suite intentionally, so we could top if off to get to 4-star by the end of that cruise so we would have it for our next planned cruise which was going a really long 52 day one .......so we could get "free" laundry!.

A free $20 bag of laundry for the zillions extras spent on shore excursions and a suite. Don't even try to do the math because it won't work. But somehow the jump up to 5-star just happened because the more we cruised the more we found ourselves loving the longer cruises.

Best thing about 5-star is you get all those wonderful cruises, one at a time to get there. So the fun works both ways. What it took to get there and what you get to enjoy once you arrive. Particularly the $20 bags of "free" laundry. :cool:

Loved reading about your voyage to 5 star status! Those shorex!!! What a good post!

We got our 4 and the 5 star status both the old, slow way on days only. All those cruises have been wonderful and we loved getting the procession of medallions the best.

5 star brings some really great rewards, especially the 2 complimentary Pinnacles and the Cooking Class.

Thanks for the good posts!

The SLOW way as well - but I like the idea of topping off now that we are getting close to 4 star - we will have 15 cruise days added this fall - plus onboard spending. Not sure I can talk DH into enough $'s to get us over the top this cruise though.

Maybe he'll finally get rated and we'll get a great deal to take another cruise soon after and get us over the top.

:o

OlsSalt - As you say the $'s to that free laundry doesn't work out to well financially - oh but it's got to be great.

We have yet to receive any Medallion's or pins - they actually have asked on 2 of our last cruises IF they owed us any and I told them YES. Still haven't seen them though.

Edited by hugger

I tend to have pretty good sea legs and was amazed at how much the vibrations bothered me. I was midship btw. I remember putting a bag on the bed and watching it move due the vibrations. I do think it is a structural issue as I have sailed on other ships and never felt anything to this extent. You can search the threads to find some extensive theories. The issue of vibrations and Eurodam is pretty well established.

Of course sensitivity varies by person. But I can't see sailing Eurodam again.

regarding vibrations on the Eurodam. We had the worst storm and sea's I've ever cruised in last year on Eurodam. The waves were monster - the pool water was sloshing out of the pool back in and out again on each roll. I was shocked there were people in it - OLD people! I was also amazed that they didn't close the pool. Yet back on midship Deck 4 we couldn't feel it.

I did get a bit nervous being out on our balcony as we had a big balcony and it was very deep being to close to the rail I thought wow - if we did roll I could roll right off. I moved back inside rather quickly :eek:

There was a ship off our side that was riding very low in the water on their aft end. And, when the ship hit a wave the front would actually go under as well. We watched it for about 20 minutes - then I had to make my self stop as I was fearful it wouldn't come back up it started taking longer and longer for it to reappear. Scary

Yet we felt safe and not all that much movement on the Eurodam considering the sea's. I HOPE AND PRAY there is nothing wrong with the structure of the ship now.

Edited by hugger