Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Airport/Cruiseport?

jagmanss1

Has anyone recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Airport/Cruiseport in Dania Fort Lauderdale?

Is it a nice hotel for half the price? I'm comparing it to Hyatt place 17th street for Feb 14th 2006 with a parking package but Hilton Garden Inn is without a parking package and would park at one of the lots like park and go or whatever it's called....

Is it in a nice neighborhood?

How much does it cost for Taxi to port?

Does it include Breakfast?

Should I just stay at Hyatt place 17th street?

Pricing is ridiculous for Feb 14th 2016.....

BTW.... I just booked through Hotel parking . com for $ a total of $245.21 for Hyatt place for a 2 bed suite and have a total of 4 people.... Is Hotel parking dot com a good reliable site?

Not sure yet what the 1/2 price is for Hilton Garden Inn is, But pretty sure it's not a suite and doesn't include parking and there are 4 of us.....

Edited by jagmanss1

Breakfast is not included.

The neighborhood consists of a shopping center/ several 2-3 star hotels/ industrial/ surrounded by low to moderate income housing. Across the street is fast food, chain restaurants, and discount stores like Kmart, Ross and Marshalls.

Taxi to port is around $23.

Nothing constructive to add, but I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale that same night and I just wanted to say that I totally agree with you about the hotel prices -- They're astronomical, even for that time of year!

I have a hotel booked right now that I can cancel if nothing else comes along, but I'm thinking that if the price is right, I might try a 3-star "Downtown and Las Olas area" Hotwire when the date draws a lot closer.

Breakfast is not included.

The neighborhood consists of a shopping center/ several 2-3 star hotels/ industrial/ surrounded by low to moderate income housing. Across the street is fast food, chain restaurants, and discount stores like Kmart, Ross and Marshalls.

Taxi to port is around $23.

Thank you Sharon, I went ahead and booked both for the moment, The Hilton Garden Inn Airport/Cruiseport is booked through one of my Daughter's friends that is going and works for them and she was able to get a huge discount for us... 2 double bed rooms for A Total of $43.29 Per room. The only thing is she has to go and be there when checking in and present a travel passport from Hilton.... If she backs out or isn't able to go we can't either... SO

I'm keeping the Hyatt place 17th street booked as a backup just in case she backs out or can't go.

The question is -- Will any of them go back down if they see that their rooms aren't being snapped up for that night? For instance, "romantic weekend at the Holiday Inn Express" would be, at least in my opinion, an oxymoron.

Exactly! I just can't see someone booking a romantic night on valentines day which is a Sunday in a busy cruise area, What would be the point? Most have to work Monday:rolleyes: Hey boss I'M not coming into work today my spouse wore me out at the hotel LMAO It's like calling out of work on Monday after the Super Bowl...... Nah! Valentines day has nothing to do with The cruise port area IMHO......

Exactly! I just can't see someone booking a romantic night on valentines day which is a Sunday in a busy cruise area, What would be the point? Most have to work Monday:rolleyes: Hey boss I'M not coming into work today my spouse wore me out at the hotel LMAO It's like calling out of work on Monday after the Super Bowl...... Nah! Valentines day has nothing to do with The cruise port area IMHO......

Just checked out of curiosity and Feb 15, 2016 is President's Day. A 3 day weekend!

I stayed there in June. I don't know if it's still true, but at the time none of the interior corridors were air-conditioned, even though it is obviously designed to be an interior hotel. The room air conditioning couldn't really keep up with the humidity, so everything was sticky and felt kind of gross. I saw another review on trip advisor mentioning the same thing so I don't know if it's temporary, a cost saving measure, or what. It might be worth giving them a call to find out. There's also nothing really within walking distance except a chipotle, and I wouldn't recommend the on-site restaurant.

Edited to add: I lived in SoFla for 20 years, so this is not a case of someone not being used to FL humidity; my best guess is the room doors are not weatherproofed like an exterior hotel would be and the room units can't clear the humidity from the non-air-conditioned halls.

Edited by perditax

I stayed there in June. I don't know if it's still true, but at the time none of the interior corridors were air-conditioned, even though it is obviously designed to be an interior hotel. The room air conditioning couldn't really keep up with the humidity, so everything was sticky and felt kind of gross. I saw another review on trip advisor mentioning the same thing so I don't know if it's temporary, a cost saving measure, or what. It might be worth giving them a call to find out. There's also nothing really within walking distance except a chipotle, and I wouldn't recommend the on-site restaurant.

Edited to add: I lived in SoFla for 20 years, so this is not a case of someone not being used to FL humidity; my best guess is the room doors are not weatherproofed like an exterior hotel would be and the room units can't clear the humidity from the non-air-conditioned halls.

Thanks for that info, I'll call them, But we will have a car and will be going out to eat....

Edited by jagmanss1

And who gets off for Presidents day anymore? Practically nobody....

It is a very busy weekend in south Florida at the height of the season because people, including school kids, still get 3 days off and many public schools (especially in New England) begin a week long winter vacation then.

Edited by capriccio

It is a very busy weekend in south Florida at the height of the season because people, including school kids, still get 3 days off and many public schools (especially in New England) begin a week long winter vacation then.

I'm confused, Are you from Florida? Because to my knowledge kids here in Palm Coast Florida do not get school off for Presidents day..... Maybe in New England they do.....

Edited by jagmanss1

Thank you Sharon, I went ahead and booked both for the moment, The Hilton Garden Inn Airport/Cruiseport is booked through one of my Daughter's friends that is going and works for them and she was able to get a huge discount for us... 2 double bed rooms for A Total of $43.29 Per room. The only thing is she has to go and be there when checking in and present a travel passport from Hilton.... If she backs out or isn't able to go we can't either... SO

I'm keeping the Hyatt place 17th street booked as a backup just in case she backs out or can't go.

It would be awesome to get it for that price!!! It's nice that you have a car, but I'm not sure why anyone would say there is nothing in walking distance. If you have the ability to walk 2 to 8 blocks you'll find plenty in Oakwood Plaza, just across Stirling Rd.

I'm confused, Are you from Florida? Because to my knowledge kids here in Palm Coast Florida do not get school off for Presidents day..... Maybe in New England they do.....

I am in Florida (Broward County) 7 months of the year but I can also use google :D. Presidents Day is a holiday for schools in Miami-Dade (who also have the next day off as a teacher planning day), Broward, Palm Beach (where it is a teacher in service day), Martin, and St. Lucie counties. If Palm Coast is in Flagler County you also have it off (http://flaglerschools.com/district/news/2015-16-school-year-calendar).

Edited by capriccio

It would be awesome to get it for that price!!! It's nice that you have a car, but I'm not sure why anyone would say there is nothing in walking distance. If you have the ability to walk 2 to 8 blocks you'll find plenty in Oakwood Plaza, just across Stirling Rd.

It was me, and I wasn't willing to walk multiple blocks in the 90+ degree heat on a Friday afternoon during rush hour traffic across a huge urban-sprawly street. Cruisers are often car-less and looking for some place close by the night before to pick up bottled beverages and last minute necessities.

Academic since the OP has a car.

Edited by perditax

I am in Florida (Broward County) 7 months of the year but I can also use google :D. Presidents Day is a holiday for schools in Miami-Dade (who also have the next day off as a teacher planning day), Broward, Palm Beach (where it is a teacher in service day), Martin, and St. Lucie counties. If Palm Coast is in Flagler County you also have it off (http://flaglerschools.com/district/news/2015-16-school-year-calendar).

Well! I stand corrected, I don't know about Schools anymore as my daughter is 34 so I don't follow the school system.... But still, Not all school teachers who are married have a spouse that is off on Presidents day..... At least not enough to drive prices up in a cruise port area....

Still begs the question who else has off?

I mean really who is going to book a hotel on Sunday Valentine's day with there kids off on Monday... Unless your bringing the kids too[emoji4]

It was me, and I wasn't willing to walk multiple blocks in the 90+ degree heat on a Friday afternoon during rush hour traffic across a huge urban-sprawly street. Cruisers are often car-less and looking for some place close by the night before to pick up bottled beverages and last minute necessities.

Academic since the OP has a car.

Yeah! Exactly, If I didn't have a car I couldn't walk as I'm disabled and probably wouldn't book... Besides February is really not hot in FLL.... I live in Northern Florida and would freeze if I booked a beachside hotel.... Lol

Yes! The price can't be beat and is the only reason I booked it.... I'm no hotel snob, But if the price was like most that time of year and didn't get this awesome discount.... I would be staying elsewhere.... It's why I booked a backup plan..... Sorry I just don't and won't trust a 28 yr old to not back out.... She has the discounts and without her we are screwed.... Hence, Back-up Hotel plan.....

Edited by jagmanss1

Well! I stand corrected, I don't know about Schools anymore as my daughter is 34 so I don't follow the school system.... But still, Not all school teachers who are married have a spouse that is off on Presidents day..... At least not enough to drive prices up in a cruise port area....

Still begs the question who else has off?

I mean really who is going to book a hotel on Sunday Valentine's day with there kids off on Monday... Unless your bringing the kids too[emoji4]

There are lots of cruises that weekend (http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-fort-lauderdale-florida.html):

Saturday, 13th: 3

Sunday, 14th: 7

Monday, 15th: 6

The other thing to remember is that not every hotel room is taken by cruisers; Fort Lauderdale attracts tourists from around the world who never set foot on a cruise ship.

For example, the 14th is the Fort Lauderdale Marathon - it isn't nearly as big as the New York, Washington, DC or Miami marathons but there will be over 4000 runners and their families in town for the weekend.

There are lots of cruises that weekend (http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-fort-lauderdale-florida.html):

Saturday, 13th: 3

Sunday, 14th: 7

Monday, 15th: 6

The other thing to remember is that not every hotel room is taken by cruisers; Fort Lauderdale attracts tourists from around the world who never set foot on a cruise ship.

For example, the 14th is the Fort Lauderdale Marathon - it isn't nearly as big as the New York, Washington, DC or Miami marathons but there will be over 4000 runners and their families in town for the weekend.

Wow! That answers that! Had no idea.... Thanks.

We stayed at Hilton Garden Dania Oct 2014 and got the park and cruise package. It was like $240. It included parking in the parking lot all week, one night stay, transfers to and from port, and buffet breakfast for all 4 of us. It was in a fine location. There were fast food places right around the hotel that my husband and kids walked to. The location was good too. We went to Hard Rock for dinner and then the beach. Right off interstate so easy to find. We had no problems with air conditioning when we stayed. We are Floridians so used to the heat, but it wasn't too bad in October outside so that might have been the difference. We would stay again except my husband wants to be right at the port next time. Hope this helps.