Amsterdam 6221 info, please?

AV8rix

I have (as always, because I don’t like the bathtubs) an inside guaranty on Amsterdam. I usually prefer Main deck because there are no public areas above or below, only staterooms. However, this trip I have been assigned K6221. This stateroom is completely surrounded by “white space” and is oriented fore-and-aft, rather than abeam, like all of my previous assignments. If there is no info available about this space on this particular ship, it is the same as K6215 on both R-class sister ships V’dam and Z’dam.

Yes, I have already checked the website that must not be named :). Nothing there. If anyone has any info about this stateroom I’d appreciate hearing about it, positive or negative. Would like to decide pretty soon if I need to request a change.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Av8rix

Will do my very best to try not to respond rudely.

Did you try Hal facts dot com?

Please refer to the first sentence of the second paragraph of my original posting. I think that just about everyone who was here in January or February of this year knows the site to which I made reference.

Google the cabin. Usually there is a review and/or picture

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, but I wouldn’t have posted in the first place if I had not already undertaken my own efforts at researching the question.

<Bump>

Maybe I just didn’t word the first request properly, so let’s try that again:

OK, so has anyone on CC ever been billeted in Amsterdam K6221, Volendam K6215, or Zaandam K6215? If so, would you please share your assessment with me, as it is my first time on that deck as well as my first time in that particular cabin configuration.

If not, I think I’ll just go ahead and accept this cabin assignment and post a review and pictures myself to the website that may not be named:).

Again, thanks in advance for any useful information that may be offered.

Had friends who were assigned and stayed in a sideways inside cabin on deck six on the Amsterdam in 2008. They were quite disappointed. I don't remember the exact details - but they felt the storage space was limited and the love seat was tucked into an alcove with a wall not far in front of it. They were not particularly happy campers. I saw the cabin but do not really remember the particulars. I am not sure of their cabin number but it was definitely not one of the large secret insides - and it was smaller than a standard inside.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, but I wouldn’t have posted in the first place if I had not already undertaken my own efforts at researching the question.
Maybe I found something you missed. THIS REVIEW generally complains about the Zaandam, but the only comment about 6215 is "Terrible cabin Configuration of cabin made it difficult to open drawers, closet, get to bathroom."

edit: HERE IS a thread that says Amsterdam 6221 is "great"!

Edited by jtl513

My wife and I have ben in this cabin. It is an odd shape but very nice. The door opens to the room. No offset or hall. When one opens the door the whole room is visible. The bed is on theleft and the sitting area and bath are on the right. One of thegreat things is that theree is an outside deck to the rear just steeps. That gives a wonderful public balcony to check weather or see a quick site.

Thanks, Arzz and jtl513!!

This is good information! I guess that I didn’t use due diligence in my search. My bad.

Regarding configuration, the entry door on one of the long-dimension bulkheads is what was concerning me. In the interiors (and OVs, for that matter) that are oriented abeam the ship, having the door on one of the short-dimension bulkheads really doesn’t rob the space of anything useful. But I’m interested in seeing what is necessarily missing or difficult to access as a result of placing the door on one of the "useful" bulkheads.

Whatever, I normally won’t do any cruise shorter than two weeks. However, I waited too long to book Statendam’s final Alaska cruise, so I took this short cruise as sort of a consolation prize. If this cabin is uncomfortable in any way, I’ll be spending only one week in it. If that is the worst thing that ever happens to me in my life, I’ll consider myself lucky. Can’t sweat the small stuff, right?

I’ll take some pictures and post them on the appropriate site.

Thanks again to you both! Your info was exactly what I was seeking.

My wife and I have ben in this cabin. It is an odd shape but very nice. The door opens to the room. No offset or hall. When one opens the door the whole room is visible. The bed is on theleft and the sitting area and bath are on the right. One of thegreat things is that theree is an outside deck to the rear just steeps. That gives a wonderful public balcony to check weather or see a quick site.

And thank you Len! I was composing my response offline, so didn't see yours until now.

Your "no offset or hall" remark is particularly informative!! After reading your post, I think that I'm going to really enjoy this cabin.

Regarding the proximity of the aft deck, I'd already noted that great feature and told my traveling companion (who is billeted on Main deck) that it looks like we'll have our own private verandah for glacier viewing.

Thanks again!

Edited by Av8rix