Roatan - armed robberies

bitemebaby

WELCOME TO MAHOGANY BAY!

The CARNIVAL VALOR® Team

CAPTAIN: Vittorio Marchi CHIEF ENGINEER: Ferdinando RuoccoHOTEL DIRECTOR: Donato Becce CRUISE DIRECTOR: Craig Johnson

Please make sure to have your Sail & Sign card and photo ID with you at all times. Always stay on ship’s time.

In case of emergency, contact: 011-504-2445-2256

ARRIVAL: 9:00am BACK ON BOARD: 5:30pm SAIL AWAY: 6:00pm GANGWAY: Deck 0 Fwd

IMPORTANT: There have been a number of reports of armed robberies and street crimes against tourists around the municipality of Santos Guardiola in the east end of the island, as well as in Palm Beach, on the north eastern side of Roatan. These areas are approx. 5 miles outside the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center. If wandering outside of Mahogany Bay, be mindful of your personal safety as you make your individual plans and take necessary precautions.

Renting a moped or scooter ashore can be dangerous. If you rent a vehicle, it is important to know local traffic law -So this is what was on our funtimes last week, needless to say we DID NOT venture out of the cruise area, we were going to go see monkeys but decided not worth getting robbed:mad::mad: We were on Valor Aug22-29 2015

Edited by bitemebaby

We hadn't booked a excursion on board the ship because we were going to walk up hill and book a taxi to the Victor Boden Monkey and Igana farms as it was mentioned on Cruise Critics was cheaper this way. We saw this on front of Funtimes to late to book thru ship or thru Victor directly online. I just wish we had seen this before we left port, to late once we saw it. Just a FYI for anyone going to this port. We have cruised A lot and first time I have seen this on a Funtimes. We still had fun on the beach and a bunch of people I chatted to on the ship later said they changed their plans of walking over hill to hail a taxi also because of this warning.

Why couldn't you walk over the hill and have a taxi take you somewhere other than those two places? Those weren't the destinations you had in mind, right? In addition, the West end of the island has everything that makes Roatan my favorite port of call... and it's quite safe there.

Every city, let alone every port, has a "bad side of town". That's why they usually tell you to stay in the tourist areas. :cool:

It's a shame that reports of crime deter cruisers from exploring. We have been to Roatan 10-12 times. We always book Rony from Ronystours.com. We have never felt as if we were in any danger. The island is beautiful with the most crystal-clear water. We have 2 cruises booked and will continue to travel with Rony.

Ok seriously . I am not stupid , I know crime can happen ANYWHERE but posted this from front of our FunTimes from last week Aug 29 2015 as an FYI to people going to Roatan soon to let them know to book something and plan BEFORE they leave home. I was on the ship,Very late night before Roatan when we saw this , at THAT point to late to do searching and find out where exaztactly this crime was happening and how close it was to monkey farm. We were NOT going to chance it and get robbed- as were MANY of the other guests . Everyone I talked to that night either did prebooked excrusion thru the ship or other tours prebooked or zipline Right outside gate to cruise area. Good heavens people JUST trying to help people going there , I am sure there are good and bad parts to Every port we have visted BUT we have NEVER seen a warning on FunTimes before!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

WELCOME TO MAHOGANY BAY!

The CARNIVAL VALOR® Team

CAPTAIN: Vittorio Marchi CHIEF ENGINEER: Ferdinando RuoccoHOTEL DIRECTOR: Donato Becce CRUISE DIRECTOR: Craig Johnson

Please make sure to have your Sail & Sign card and photo ID with you at all times. Always stay on ship’s time.

In case of emergency, contact: 011-504-2445-2256

ARRIVAL: 9:00am BACK ON BOARD: 5:30pm SAIL AWAY: 6:00pm GANGWAY: Deck 0 Fwd

IMPORTANT: There have been a number of reports of armed robberies and street crimes against tourists around the municipality of Santos Guardiola in the east end of the island, as well as in Palm Beach, on the north eastern side of Roatan. These areas are approx. 5 miles outside the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center. If wandering outside of Mahogany Bay, be mindful of your personal safety as you make your individual plans and take necessary precautions.

Renting a moped or scooter ashore can be dangerous. If you rent a vehicle, it is important to know local traffic law -So this is what was on our funtimes last week, needless to say we DID NOT venture out of the cruise area, we were going to go see monkeys but decided not worth getting robbed:mad::mad: We were on Valor Aug22-29 2015

Thanks for the heads up sailing on the Valor in Oct.

Most cruisers do NOT travel to the eastern end of the island. Roads aren't that good past French Harbor and it's mostly mangroves; not a lot to see or do around Jonesville or Oak Ridge (Santos Guardiola in the warning). I know that some cruisers have headed over to the northern resorts, like Black Pearl Golf course, either in a taxi or rental car. And there was a robbery reported by a CC member in this area last year (they were in a rental car). But while this warning can be read as simply a reminder to be on guard and be safe, it also acts as a deterrent for cruisers to NOT leave the MBCC complex and thus keep more $$ inside the facilities.

• 2 weeks later...
Most cruisers do NOT travel to the eastern end of the island. Roads aren't that good past French Harbor and it's mostly mangroves; not a lot to see or do around Jonesville or Oak Ridge (Santos Guardiola in the warning). I know that some cruisers have headed over to the northern resorts, like Black Pearl Golf course, either in a taxi or rental car. And there was a robbery reported by a CC member in this area last year (they were in a rental car). But while this warning can be read as simply a reminder to be on guard and be safe, it also acts as a deterrent for cruisers to NOT leave the MBCC complex and thus keep more $$ inside the facilities.

I completely agree. Yes, it makes sense to stay away from the specific places mentioned in the report. But OP not going on a tour of Victor Bodden's monkeys in this scenario is analogous to docking at Manhattan Cruise Port in New York and deciding not to go on a tour of the Statue of Liberty because you heard about a robbery in Harlem.

• 1 year later...

There are bad areas in most cities anywhere in the world. If the only thing I knew about my city was the morning news, I would be afraid to leave the house, lol. Yes, robberies and crime do occur, but I made a decision long ago not to let a slight possibility of something happening deter me from enjoying travel and life in general. Use common sense, don't wander down side streets, travel alone, stop at atms, wear expensive jewelry, carry expensive electronics, etc. and you should be fine.

Sent from my LGL31L using Forums mobile app

We have been to Roatan 10+ times. We always use Rony and have never felt that we were in the slightest bit of danger. I'm not sure why the ship is saying that this "Crime Area" is 5 miles from port. Santos Guardiola is very far - at least 35 - 40 minutes. Please use common sense, but don't let this "warning" keep you from experiencing this beautiful island.