End in Seward, now what

stephaniekleinn

I would spend a few days in Seward. Plenty to see there.

The train ride from Seward to Anchorage is beautiful. Also, if your ship docks in Skagway, there is the White pass train ride there.

Edited by Coral

for both your 64 year old and your 6 year old i highly recommend what we did in seward..

we were there for 2 nights and 2.5 days and visited:

- the sea life center - very impressive and both young and old enjoy it (you can take the free shuttle to get there)

- Seavey's Ididaride - we really enjoyed this - you meet the sled dogs, go for a sleg dog ride (not on snow - in a cart on wheels) through a beautiful area, you get to hold some of the puppies and you hear all about the ididarod...

again, young and old enjoy this one..

they'll pick you up from your hotel (we stayed at what used to be called the Holiday inn Express but is now called the harbor 360)

- Exit Glacier - we took the shuttle to get there and went on a hike on our own (though you can also go on a ranger walk)...again, good for all ages..

I also highly recommend taking the glass dome alaska railroad train to get from seward to anchorage....(reserve the goldstar service)...

it's a magnificently beautiful route...we took the train the other direction (from anchorage to seward), but i'm sure it's equally beautiful in reverse :)

Out of Whittier, we really enjoyed the Major Marine 4 hour surprise glacier cruise. Really well done and beautiful scenery!!! I don't know what they have in seward, but it's probably also very good....In seward, we did the Kenai Fjords Tours 4 hour wildlife cruise...also very nice though i enjoyed the surprise glacier cruise out of whittier a lot more...

Edited by alaska_planner

Out of Whittier, we really enjoyed the Major Marine 4 hour surprise glacier cruise. Really well done and beautiful scenery!!! I don't know what they have in seward, but it's probably also very good....In seward, we did the Kenai Fjords Tours 4 hour wildlife cruise...also very nice though i enjoyed the surprise glacier cruise out of whittier a lot more...

Surprise Glacier has never been 4 hours with Major Marine, over many years. Blackstone Glacier tour is 4.25 hours.

Ok guys we've found a trip that ends in Seward, we have a few days, my husband wants to do a sight seeing train, so we're and what do we do now. Traveling with a 64 year old and a six year old....

What have y'all done?

Stephanie

First- how many days do you have? Makes a huge difference with recommendations.

An alternative to the above- that could offer the best use of short time is a one way rental car with Hertz.

You need to figure out, what YOUR interests are? So find out what areas offer and are known for- Seward, Whittier, Anchorage, maybe Homer? Mat Su Valley? etc

That make it a LOT better planning for including your ideal touring priorities.

Surprise Glacier has never been 4 hours with Major Marine, over many years. Blackstone Glacier tour is 4.25 hours.

let's see....we boarded the boat in whittier at noon and i think we got back to whittier at 5:30, so you're right...it was 5 and a half hours....with a spectacular salmon/prime rib lunch served on board (really outstandingly delicious food)...

however many hours this tour was, it was well worth it and i will most definitely do this one again when next i'm in alaska.

we took the train from anchorage to Whittier and back for the tour (we booked the whole thing through major marine).

The train to whittier was at about 9 or maybe 9:30 (i don't recall).

the train back to anchorage was at about 6:30, but we got stuck on the train for a while due to the earthquake. It occurred just after we boarded the train. They held us in whittier until the tunnel and tracks could be inspected, which took about an hour and a half i think. The possibility of the tunnel not being passable was a scenario we hadn't considered (being stranded in whittier with no way out other than by air or water).

Edited by alaska_planner