A Summit Review

lovelife

The second day we took the ferry to St. George's and walked around a few hours in the unbearable heat before heading back.

The narrow passageway approaching St. George's

21197144395_3aaf5fa0af_b.jpg

20576012593_6a889c5bea_b.jpg

21186812792_f4cedc3aa7_b.jpg

Beautiful St. Peter's - we went inside for the first time

21186808052_b1d3cc6613_b.jpg

Kudos to Celebrity for the great welcome back on board with cool drinks and icy cloths. Love, love, love it.

21011480669_852b839688_b.jpg

This six foot or so red carpet had me in stitches. I just had to walk over it for the heck of it. I wonder if the intended ones even step on it!

21197743435_0a24a25710_b.jpg

And so we headed back to New Jersey after a wonderful three days in Bermuda.

Random ship shots (don't say that too fast)

Artwork

21187481492_2e98f661d2_b.jpg

I love this piece outside Revelations

20576039044_75e1c6755f_b.jpg

Sea Day at the Pool

21009673710_df4a351d73_b.jpg

Last night on board with the moon shining brightly - how romantic

21198708065_0265aec51f_b.jpg

Great threat and great pics. It was fun to be able to relive our cruise. I think breakfast was very good at Blu, although slow. I think Blu has a service problem, either the kitchen is too small, or the kitchen and/or the service staff are understaffed. It's not the actual staff in restaurant itself...they are great, but they can only do so much. Sometimes, David, the wonderful Maitre D, would apologize...but he/they can only do so much, if the problem is that they are short staffed to be able to provide adequate service at full capacity. We were generally there at peak times: just before closing in the morning and around 6pm in the evenings...Frequently, many hot entree items arrived cold (morning and evening, from pancakes to steaks)...just nothing to do but go with the flow.

I do have to praise the fresh OJ in Blu...especially after we learned to ask for it chilled from the fridge vs. "room temperature" which is the way David said they are instructed to serve it (I don't get this). Served cold/chilled, it is really refreshing and tasty.

I didn't really like any of the sauces with the entrees...too think and generally bland...so, I just started ordering everything w the sauce on the side. Also, I find the cuts of meat (sirloin and rib eye) to be too thin (same applies to the Lawn Club or Tuscan Grille)...they are really not trying to appeal to genuine steak lovers...flavor is a little lacking as well, but there's no way to cook these steaks rare with a good sear, because they are too thin. Small pet peave.

20577560683_f735bd4ee1_b.jpg

21198689645_fac3498b34_b.jpg

20577557383_65980867f3_b.jpg

We have arrived

20576010264_6d6c894449_b.jpg

Disembarkation:

What a joy it was. With departure tag number two, we headed off the ship at 7:45 and at 8:15 we were in the car driving home. Absolutely the best.

Summary:

There were lots of children on this cruise but the majority seemed well behaved and were not at all disruptive. The weather was perfect every day with a little rain one evening. It was smooth sailing all the way. I noticed a little rocking on the sea day back to Cape Liberty but it was hardly noticeable.

Although the cabin was a big disappointment along with the issues surrounding it, these are certainly not big deals in the grand scheme of things. We had a good time as we always do on cruises. I just wish I would have spent that money on a Solstice Class ship as I'm betting they are very nice.

We feel very fortunate to cruise a lot and thankfully we all have lots of cruise lines and ships to choose from!

Loved your review. We have been on the Summit twice. Once in a Concierge Cabin and once in a Sky Suite. CC was great but the SS was in a horrible location. Bed was very nice, both times. We loved eating in Luminae with the best staff we have ever had on a cruise.

Funny when I look at your photos, I took almost the same shots.:eek:

Happy Sailing and try the S class ships next think you will like them better.

Thanks. A different sauce wasn't offered and I didn't think to ask for something special. I guess since I'm paying thousands of dollars to cruise I should at least give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion.

Definitely!!!!! You will get something I am sure. As a matter fact as soon as you get on the next cruise, go to the dinning room and tell them you are allergic to onions and you can't have onions in any sauce or preparation. They will get you supplemental sauce....or make you a small batch. they really do go out of there way to help with these types of things.

My aunt can't have cream and they always can get her some sort of sauce...as long as they are aware of it in the beginning.

Have a great cruise!!!

Loved your review. We have been on the Summit twice. Once in a Concierge Cabin and once in a Sky Suite. CC was great but the SS was in a horrible location. Bed was very nice, both times. We loved eating in Luminae with the best staff we have ever had on a cruise.

Thanks!

Definitely!!!!! You will get something I am sure. As a matter fact as soon as you get on the next cruise, go to the dinning room and tell them you are allergic to onions and you can't have onions in any sauce or preparation. They will get you supplemental sauce....or make you a small batch. they really do go out of there way to help with these types of things.

My aunt can't have cream and they always can get her some sort of sauce...as long as they are aware of it in the beginning.

Have a great cruise!!!

In 38 cruises all the waiters on every ship have been told on day one that I hate onions and will not eat them. None have ever offered anything special.

Your pictures were really great. What kind of camera do you use. Your eye is great as well. Your shots are just really impressive.

Thanks bunches! I used a Nikon D40 and a little point and shoot Canon Powershot.

Hi. I was wondering what your room was. I have a sky suite on the Summit, room 6145. Hope that is a god one.

Lovelife,

Enjoyed your review and wonderful photos. We will be on the Summit on the 20th for a 14 night cruise, and your review has helped prepare us. Just one comment. You realize that when you book a guaranteed cabin, you take a gamble of being assigned one of the least desirable cabins. Again, enjoyed your review, and happy cruising on tomorrow's journey!

Kathy

I really enjoyed your review and all of you wonderful pictures. Somehow we missed the aerialist on our Summit cruise to Bermuda. I'm really sorry you were unhappy with your cabin. I would have been also with that view....I've been tempted to book a GTY but now I'm not so sure. We also did Aqua on our cruise and were on deck 11 and thoroughly enjoyed our balcony and view. We had no issues with our mattress or pillows....the bed felt wonderful. For some reason, there must have been a design flaw with the shower doors...we always had water on the floor after showering. Hopefully, all of these little things will be taken care of with the refurbishment.

As far as room temperature, again, absolutely no problem in our cabin. I actually had to turn it down to it's lowest point at night.

Blu...I did not care for their "sauces" on the steak. I simply asked it they would just grill it normally and not put anything on it. They did do a nice sear on each side and I was much happier. I agree, the steaks could be thicker. As for the lobster, when the sauce was described to me, I told them I just wanted it plain...broiled or however they cooked it with drawn butter. No problem. DH was sorry he didn't do the same.

We've also sailed on Silhouette and quite honestly, we enjoyed the Summit so much more. Clearly the officers and staff were so much more visible and friendly on the Summit...just my observation and opinion.

I also thought children should not have been at some of the shows that had a more adult theme. But, who am I to say?

As much as we enjoyed that cruise, I would probably not book a family oriented cruise again. Rules are rules, but it seems some pax and their children somehow think rules are made to be broken.

With that being said, we are so looking forward to our Oct. cruise on the Summit. Most of the staff that we enjoyed will be on our sailing. We welcome Capt. Kate, but will certainly miss the entertaining Capt. Leo.

And, kudos to Captain Leo for beginning the trek north past the SOL and Manhattan skyline for the first time on our sailing. What a pleasant and welcome surprise.

I do hope you'll try X again. We've never sailed RCCL, mainly because I like ships that hold less pax. We book for the ship and itinerary and so far, Azamara and X has provided what we were looking for.

Lovelife,

Enjoyed your review and wonderful photos. We will be on the Summit on the 20th for a 14 night cruise, and your review has helped prepare us. Just one comment. You realize that when you book a guaranteed cabin, you take a gamble of being assigned one of the least desirable cabins. Again, enjoyed your review, and happy cruising on tomorrow's journey!

Kathy

Thanks! Yes, I absolutely knew I was at Celebrity's mercy when booking a guarantee as I mentioned at the beginning of my review. Enjoy your sailing!

I really enjoyed your review and all of you wonderful pictures. Somehow we missed the aerialist on our Summit cruise to Bermuda. I'm really sorry you were unhappy with your cabin. I would have been also with that view....I've been tempted to book a GTY but now I'm not so sure. We also did Aqua on our cruise and were on deck 11 and thoroughly enjoyed our balcony and view. We had no issues with our mattress or pillows....the bed felt wonderful. For some reason, there must have been a design flaw with the shower doors...we always had water on the floor after showering. Hopefully, all of these little things will be taken care of with the refurbishment.

As far as room temperature, again, absolutely no problem in our cabin. I actually had to turn it down to it's lowest point at night.

Blu...I did not care for their "sauces" on the steak. I simply asked it they would just grill it normally and not put anything on it. They did do a nice sear on each side and I was much happier. I agree, the steaks could be thicker. As for the lobster, when the sauce was described to me, I told them I just wanted it plain...broiled or however they cooked it with drawn butter. No problem. DH was sorry he didn't do the same.

We've also sailed on Silhouette and quite honestly, we enjoyed the Summit so much more. Clearly the officers and staff were so much more visible and friendly on the Summit...just my observation and opinion.

I also thought children should not have been at some of the shows that had a more adult theme. But, who am I to say?

As much as we enjoyed that cruise, I would probably not book a family oriented cruise again. Rules are rules, but it seems some pax and their children somehow think rules are made to be broken.

With that being said, we are so looking forward to our Oct. cruise on the Summit. Most of the staff that we enjoyed will be on our sailing. We welcome Capt. Kate, but will certainly miss the entertaining Capt. Leo.

And, kudos to Captain Leo for beginning the trek north past the SOL and Manhattan skyline for the first time on our sailing. What a pleasant and welcome surprise.

I do hope you'll try X again. We've never sailed RCCL, mainly because I like ships that hold less pax. We book for the ship and itinerary and so far, Azamara and X has provided what we were looking for.

Thanks! The aerialist was in the upper foyer/reception area on day one. Nothing too great (my niece is a national champion aerialist so no comparison).

FYI: RCCL has several ships with comparable and lower passenger capacity than Summit.

Do enjoy your cruise. On my way back to Cape Liberty now for my next sailing!

Who were your maître d and waiter? We had Shah and Raj, I think, in Blu in January. They were fantastic and went over and above to make sure we were happy. Tons of little things. After reading yours and other peoples reviews recently, I feel I should have tipped Shah and Raj more than I did.

Edited by KidCruze