Connecting PC to TV

CathyCruises

I know this has been discussed, but I'm still confused. DH has a MacBook Pro with movies on it and we'd love to be able to watch them in our stateroom at night. We are going on a semi b2b, one cruise on Silhouette followed by one on Connie. Can someone tell me what we need to bring in order to hook up to the TV, if in fact that's possible? I seem to remember this did not used to be possible, but it sounds as if things have changed.

Any help appreciated. Thx Cathy

I know this has been discussed, but I'm still confused. DH has a MacBook Pro with movies on it and we'd love to be able to watch them in our stateroom at night. We are going on a semi b2b, one cruise on Silhouette followed by one on Connie. Can someone tell me what we need to bring in order to hook up to the TV, if in fact that's possible? I seem to remember this did not used to be possible, but it sounds as if things have changed.

Any help appreciated. Thx Cathy

I am sad you did not ask before

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33268779&postcount=5

By the way having a HDMI can cause a trip to the naughty room ;-)

Edited by Airbalancer

Thanks Airman but that response was for an iPad. We want to use our MacBook Pro. Same instructions? Same on S class? :confused:

Check this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236311

Most likely what you need, unless it's a very old MacBook, is a mini display port to HDMI cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters[emoji768]-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00APLJ58M/

But you'll need to do a little research like thread above in order to get the tv to switch to the right HDMI input.

Edited by perditax

On our last 3-4 cruises we've simply connected our device of choice to the HDMI port #3 on the side, set the TV to channel 3 manually (it won't scroll to it with the up and down arrows, we have had to type it in) and it worked, perfectly. Of course the TV has to be programmed this way in advance, but I think many likely are onboard as we've had it work in a number of cabins on a number of ships.

Test it, if it doesn't work, ask for help and they will generally be happy to help as this request is pretty common now.

Happy sailing

Jenna

Never was successful, myself, on either M or S class ships. Maybe it is a more common thing now, but when I have asked my stewards none of us has been successful.

We asked the tech guys, conference center guys and guest services this past March and the the tvs were programmed so you couldn't do it. I hope that has changed.

But the connection on the other end of the HDMI cable isn't the same, and you can't assume in these situations that OP knows that. :)

Well, he knows the OP, and knows I don't know!! Or rather, I DO know the limited number of things that will connect to an iPad, and that a usb will not work, but should work on a Mac book!!

I guess we will just bring an hdmi cable and hope for the best. . .29 days on ships will get pretty long if we can only watch their TV programming!!

They used to have a good selection of free movies, but earlier this year the selection was greatly diminished and we went through them in a few days.