Boarding today Avalon Illumination Amsterdam to Budapest

JVilleGal

Have a great day in Bamberg. We took a day trip there from Würzburg and liked it very much. One of their specialties is Rauchbier, which is made with smoked malt. I find it hard to drink on its own but interesting with grilled sausages, etc.

In 2013 after a long winter it finally got warm while I was on my Danube cruise. The first thing I did on our first afternoon of sailing was to read a book in a deckchair wrapped in a blanket. I promptly fell asleep. Bliss. :):)

If you still have room for them, try some real Nürnberger Bratwürste.

notamermaid

You both are making me hungry! No fair... We had a nice platter of assorted sausages at an outdoor café near the Rathaus, while we were in Bamberg just 10 days ago... :(

JVilleGal - your posts are making me the travel equivalent of homesick - is there a word for that?

Notamermaid - do the ones in the middle look authentic enough? I think they were the Nürnberger Bratwürste...

upload_-1.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

Good to know. We will be on the Scenic Ruby and if we need to do a ship swap due to low water levels we will be on the Pearl for the remainder of our cruise. I have enjoyed reading your posts and can't wait to start our cruise. We leave for Amsterdam on Sunday. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Arrived Nuremberg and will be off the ship to take an included tour of the N-zi past. Others are going on the regular tour. So here we had a choice of included tours.

Love having room service in the morning :)

Have fun. I'm living vicariously through you.

Today has been a busy day... Nuremberg was very interesting , off the ship at 8:30 :( and onto the busses! We are parked on the canal about 30 min from town. Our guide was very good and even discussed her families story of the war. My DH is a WW II historian and probably could have led the tour himself. Very overwhelming to actually see the Rally Grounds and places where such ugly history happened. There was just one group who took this tour everyone else did the City Tour.

We had a lunch of wonderful German food, best meal of the entire trip !! German Sausage omg soooo good.

We passed the Avalon Impression and visited from our French Balconies as we got ready to sail as they had just arrived. Went thru an 80 ft high lock, so amazing and have just crossed the Continental Divide.

Anyone who has questions, ask as there is no such thing as a silly question!

Free WiFi has been great. The ships laundry is very good.

ImageUploadedByForums1442584423.970270.jpg.121d2088af076768449487b4a02e33e7.jpg

As she passed us in Nuremberg. Almost forgot we did speak to some Viking passengers at the Documentation Center in Nuremberg they had a ship swap. Unfortunately it was DH who got this info and he had no details. The Viking passengers voiced amazement that we had not had this happen to us.

On the Vista we offloaded ballast water, fuel and waste to make the ship lighter.

JVilleGal, when they start asking passengers to throw furniture and suitcases overboard you'll know the river is really low! :D

Hoping you get some rain.

BTW, we took the city tour rather than the WWII tour when in Nuremberg, and I wish we had done your tour.