Boarding today Avalon Illumination Amsterdam to Budapest

JVilleGal

We did not get off to a good beginning! We were an 1 1/2 hr early..... Not a glass of water or smile in sight. Decided to move on and get over it. But that first impression, well let's just say we started off on the wrong foot :(

While we were disembarking Scenic Opal in Vilshofen(not Nuremberg due to low water) about 10am, a couple arrived for the 3pm embarkation. The CD greeted them and invited them into the lounge for drinks and snacks while they worked on the room. No sign of annoyance about the 5 hour early arrival.

Sadly our reception was less than welcome but maybe that was just a blip..... All is well aboard the Illumination since!

Welcome to Germany, we will arrive Cologne Germany by 4pm. This morning you can see just how low the river is being looking at the shoreline and the normal water line. We did have a bit of rain late yesterday. Off to breakfast!

Sadly our reception was less than welcome but maybe that was just a blip..... All is well aboard the Illumination since!

Welcome to Germany, we will arrive Cologne Germany by 4pm. This morning you can see just how low the river is being looking at the shoreline and the normal water line. We did have a bit of rain late yesterday. Off to breakfast!

We are now on our way to Amsterdam and tomorrow we will go home. We were in Cologne yesterday and it was so crowded that after the tour we came back to the ship. Part of the cathedral was closed to tourists because of the church services that were taking place.

Enjoy the rest of your tour and I hope it rains during the night so that you can make it all the way to Budapest with no problems.

Ladies: bathroom is lovely, hair dryer provided and it plugs into a socket in the bathroom as well as the sockets at the large mirror in the cabin. Bath amenities are L'Occitane "Verbena" (lotion, shower/bath gel, shampoo & conditioner) nice light scent. A shower cap, nail file) extras are available. Two nice robes & slippers.

Electrical is European and needs converters etc but location by the desk , bathroom and next to the far side of the bed. Lots of hangers and you can ask for more... I brought a dozen of the thin dry cleaner ones with me as they take up now space in closet vs. the big wooden ones. I won't take those home :)

Cabin storage from a chronic overpacker! Room to put everything away and have room for DH things too :)

Closet is about a 30" bar, with a deep shelf above and floor of closet good for jeans, shoes & anything of DH! 5 or 6 smaller shelves for folded shirts etc. 2 large drawers and a smaller drawer in desk a small drawer on each side of bed plus two smaller shelves for books and such. Under the bed is deep and will fit 5 or 6 large bags.

Beds are queen size (at least in our cabin) and made with those European duvets, they will switch to blankets and sheets if you would like. Hubby likes the bed but hates the pillows (too soft, no support). Dislikes so much that I wish I had known in Amsterdam I would have purchased an inexpensive firmer pillow. I may still keep an eye out.

Edited by JVilleGal

Hello JVilleGal,

Thank you for the detailed report. Sounds like a lovely cabin. Hope you enjoyed the scenery around Krefeld and Düsseldorf. You will see the Dormagen chemical works in a few minutes. The Viking Mani has just docked in Cologne and there are quite a few other ships docked right now. Many ships including the Viking Embla are going through the Rhine gorge. Hope everything goes according to plan with your cruise. Does not look too bad at the moment. Enjoy Cologne!

Today is heritage open days in Germany (and other parts of Europe) with the opportunity to see lots of places of interest not normally open to the public. I am heading to one later in the direction of Cologne. I will not be at the embankment though.

Have a close look at the sandbanks in the water (gravel in parts, actually) while sailing along. Oh, and many more swans and ducks along the way. They are everywhere. :)

What will your next stop be after Cologne?

notamermaid

hi Jville Gal,

We are back here in Oz having withdrawal symptoms - Good to see you are successfully under way - which cabin are you in? how's the weather - keep posting and say "gooday" to Lucian and Gabriella for us please

Cheers

Judy and Dave

Well I lost my post :( we have already met Gabriella and are in room 212.

Notamermaid :) I love your name! We will arrive Cologne at 4pm (1600 yes?) and this evening sail for the Rhine Gorge and Rudesheim tomorrow afternoon. The scenery this morning was wonderful watching the lovely fields and homes along the shore. You can really see how low the water is. I think we just passed the Chemical Factory, boy it's big!!

I will pass on info about the Big Men's store.... Being a Sunday the one in Cologne is likely not open.

Time to go book my excursions and get some laundry together.

A woman's work, even on vacation is never done!

Sailed thru the nite... Maybe 4 locks during the nite, lost track :) very quite, the captain is amazing at getting this large boat thru each lock with inches to spare! The ship does vibrate a bit as it waits to enter the lock. This lasts a few minutes and not a big deal.

Dinner was wonderful last night, tonite we are doing the special Tasting Dinner in the front of the ship. No extra fee, just sign up and they will keep doing it until everyone has done it and no more want to sign up! (Hint you can do multiple nites if you want).

Currently rafted to the Viking Vi (never heard of this ship) we walked thru her to get onboard our Avalon Boat.... She was very lovely, Scandinavian with pretty creams and blues.

Sadly this time the rafting is next to our cabin and the best view though is from the cabins on the other side of the hall. Very beautiful here, the rain is a mixed blessing!

Your if the kitchen at 3:30

Looks like the rain is going to follow you to Nuremberg. More sunshine and not that much rain as today in Würzburg though. A few warm, but unsettled days ahead for you.

Would like to see Würzburg again, have not been there for many years.

http://tourism.passau.de/Home.aspx

Enjoy Passau, great place! The rivers do have their individual colours.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Would have loved to see Wuerzburg on a beautiful sunny day. The area is stunningly beautiful.... We need all this rain but couldn't we please just have it rain at nite!!

Love Würzburg... We were just there over Labor Day weekend. If you are still there in the evening, and it's not pouring, go hang out on the Alte Mainbrücke and just watch the people. Everyone hangs out there and drinks wine from the walk-up bars on the bridge. Join them; we always do! And the sunset view of Marienburg is pretty awesome, too.

Our avatar above is from the Mainbrucke in Würzburg.

You have some very tight locks ahead of you! Wait til you get past Neuremburg and you get into the 82 foot high locks!!! We should be passing you very soon. We are at the lock at Limbach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you on the Vista??

Well, life on the river this afternoon is very lazy. Laid down to watch the beautiful vineyards glide by and promptly fell asleep and missed my kitchen tour! Oh well another day ;)

Well, life on the river this afternoon is very lazy. Laid down to watch the beautiful vineyards glide by and promptly fell asleep and missed my kitchen tour! Oh well another day ;)

You have just experienced one of the great blessings of a river cruise!