Help Please. One in Party of 4 Can't Cruise.

awm

We've had one in our family who can't make it for our cruise. Docs have been received. I know that I can substitute another person for them for a $35 fee BUT, what if I don't want a substitute? Will RCI let me drop someone and refund their portion? I have insurance thru RCI but I don't know if it covers this.

It is a non-medical reason that this person cannot go. It is work related.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

The first question I have is are you all in the same cabin? If you have 2 cabins w/2 in each, the answer would be no. The single pax would have to pay for 2 people anyway.

If you are all in 1 cabin, then whether or not insurance covers it will depend on the reason for the cancel.

Barb

I can offer only my interpretation, not hard facts. Since you are obviously in the final (penalty) phase, there will be no refund, but The RCL insurance will provide 75% of the fare paid as a credit for a future cruise since that is the benefit for cancellation for a non-covered reason (and work-related is most likely not covered). Since the insurance company will be refunding the money, RCL still has the fare from the cancelled passenger and the remaining person (people) in the stateroom should NOT have to pay any more. Bottom line, you lose less money if you can find someone to go in their place. If not, I hope the 75% thing works out for you.

At least that's the way I interpret it. If you have a travel agent, get their help - that's what they get paid for, to handle problems.

You don't have to book with RCI to take their insurance. TAs also sell it along with other options. I think the OP said they have the RCI insurance so they have that option.

Yes, this is correct, but unless you ask for it (which unless you know about it you would just ask for insurance, as in our case) the TA did not offer the RCI insurance. I did not realize that clause "for any reason not covered a 75% ship credit" was NOT IN MY POLICY! Until it was too late. You must know exactly what you want, but unless you've had experience with it you don't know exactly what you need.

I really appreciate all the responses.

I called RCI this morning and was told that if the reason is not covered (medical, death in the family etc.) then we would lose 100%.

Substituting another person is fine and a $35 fee. There has been some discussion in other Threads about it being a big hassel to substitute another person on the flight. I read that you have to cancel the original person, then rebook the flight for the new person. If the flight is full you may have a problem if there is a waiting list for that flight. I asked this to RCI and was told that it is not a problem. Since the flight was booked thru RCI they can just make a name change on the flight as well as the cruise.

awm,

That's pretty good news, although I am surprised that they told you it would be a 100% loss. Does that mean their claim of a 75% credit for cancellation for any reason at all is not true?

I can only assume that this statement by RCI is bogus.

awm,

I looked at RCCL.com at this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do;jsessionid=0000dS1qGbAyJNUXFkfwMPg9HF4:10ktmeta1?cS=SITEMAP and clicked on "here" to see more details. It very clearly states that if you cancel "for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted at any time up to departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Royal Caribbean International will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation.....".

I'd sure call them back and mention that to them. Also be sure that you do have the CruiseCare purchased from them. there shuld also be information in your documents that show this.

I'm on hold with them now. They cannot figure out about the 75% credit inside 16 days of the cruise.

They did say that there would be two $35 fees to substitute a person. $35 to change the flight and $35 for new cruise docs. If you are 'sail only' you don't need new docs but cruise with air requires new docs when substituting a person.

After 4 different 'answers' to my question I was turned over to Customer Service. Here's the scoop. On a 10-day cruise, as long as you are outside a 14-day window of your sailing, you may cancel a person and receive a full refund except for a $50 'Air Penalty' if you booked air thru RCI.

If you are inside the 14-day window and the cancellation is NOT for a covered reason, you lose 100% of that person's cost of the trip. If the cancellation is FOR a covered reason, then you get a 75% cruise credit. Not a refund but a credit on a future cruise.

Folks, if you get nothing else out of this thread get this--when in doubt ask for Customer Service, not a Reservationist. I had 3 of those and each gave me different information.

If you are not satisfied with Customer Service, ask for "Creso". I have no idea what that means or stands for but I understand from a reliable source that the people at "Creso" have the ultimate last word at RCI.

This worked out good for me in that we will get a refund. The bad part is that we will not be traveling with our son due to his moving out rather suddenly. This will be a bittersweet trip at best but we have to get on with our lives.

Sorry for the rant.

Happy cruising everyone.

What if you do not have insurance (I know - dumb mistake that will NEVER happen again!)?

We are booked on the Mariner Oct 23rd sailing with a group of 28 (14 cabins). One in our group now thinks that they will not be able to make it. We are 26 days away from sailing. RCI's website says that he will receive 50% of the price if he cancels, however, what happens to the other person in the cabin?

Will she have to pay for two people even though it is not her fault that she will be the only one in the room?

Just trying to determine what will be her responsibility. She is nervous that she will be responsible for the rest of the cabin fare. If so, she will have to cancel and lose money as she can not afford to pay extra :(.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Archived