Blu Dining not for us

Montana

Thanks Jane. We have prepaid too. I know our friends in Blu were able to switch last year but maybe they were just lucky, or cheeky ;)

We were in Aqua on our last cruise and decided we wanted to eat in the mdr most nights and just headed to select dining and was always welcomed without question [emoji4]

We are in Blu in March on Millennium. I think we can switch to Select any night, is that right? So it seems to give us loads of options?

Maybe yes and maybe no :). If you want to dine in the MDR you need to make the request from the Blu Maitre'd (or whoever is working the door) and they will make arrangements. You can certainly ask for Select and they will call the MDR to make the request. But ultimately it is up to the MDR staff and we have actually been turned down for Select (this happened on the Silhouette). The MDR Dining Room Manager actually refused all requests for Blu patrons to use Select because he said that Select was already overbooked on that particular cruise. So they made arrangements for us to dine with the late Fixed Dining group where we were seated at a table that had 2 empty spaces. Another couple we knew who wanted to dine early was also accommodated...at the early Fixed Dining. In both cases we were told to report to a specific door where staff guided us to our assigned table for that night. On other cruises we have been able to get into Select....so it is just hit or miss depending on where they have the space.

Hank

No you are not able to just switch to Select on any night. Blu is your assigned dinning restaurant. If you are unsatisfied with Blu then a discussion with the Maitre D may get you switched into the main dining room IF they can accommodate you. People that have chosen Select made that decision when they booked (and pre-paid their gratuities) and many times it is full with a wait list. Others trying to switch over only make Select over full and then there are long wait times for tables. Please do not go into this thinking it is an option to switch between the two choices.

We are always in Aqua but we also have MDR early seating on our reservations. We have gone before to MDR and never had to make pre-arrangements. We tend to do it on formal nights. So not saying your wrong just giving you our experience.

We are always in Aqua but we also have MDR early seating on our reservations. We have gone before to MDR and never had to make pre-arrangements. We tend to do it on formal nights. So not saying your wrong just giving you our experience.

We have experienced the same but we always go to select dining & never had an issue getting seated [emoji4]

As we are mostly Aqua passengers, this is good to know. Thanks!

We were looking forward to Blu but we're really put off by a rude and arrogant waiter, not to mention a sommelier who did not have a clue about wines. The waiter decided to argue with my wife about how she could have her steak cooked. Proceeded to ignore her request and then insisted she try the well done steak. This together with inconsistent service meant we left Blu. On dry land we would have walked out of the restaurant. The management did not particularly care about this experience.

We found the MDR pretty good and not too carb heavy. The buffet is ok for snacks but not for a proper dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This comment doesn't make science from my experience for 2 reasons. 1. You don't work in Blu without being promoted from some other restaurant. 2. The tips are better in Blu.

I am dumbfounded by the comments about BLU being quiet. DH and I have tried Aqua twice and we very much prefer the late seating in the MDR for quiet. Both times we tried BLU we had to yell to hear each other across the table - the acoustics in there were terrible! AND there is no such thing as a table for two - the tables are so close that it is difficult to excuse yourself at some.

I did enjoy BLU for breakfast, but will never eat dinner there again!

Now, ALL other dining options pale in comparison to Luminae!

We have been in AQ only once (Eclipse) and agree with you that the seating for two for us was not favorable ie. tables too close to each other. I remember looking around and there were few table options to have any privacy for two.

We wound up checking menus each night and ate in MDR several nights without issue except for a 'raised eyebrow' from the MD. We were also not knocked out by the spa facilities ie, heated stone loungers and steam room.

We usually book C2 on the hump and would not be opposed to Aqua (again planning to have some MDR meals) but figure the typical 200 or more per cabin that we have found on 7 day Carib would be better enjoyed by using difference towards specialty dining.JMHO

Having eaten in 3 different Blu restaurants on Eclipse, Infinity & Reflection we have found the standard to food was different on each ship. Eclipse is without doubt the best in our opinion. My biggest gripe is after so many cruises the menu is starting to get a bit boring. Celebrity needs a rethink on the menus.

We've taken 3 cruises on X( never cruised another line). Each cruise was AQ. Every menu for 3 years was exactly the same. My ships were Silhouette, Constellation and Solstice. I was really sick of the food on this last cruise.