"Closed User rate" and LCV member offers

grayjay

Can somebody well versed in the secrets of pricing explain to me what a "closed user rate" is and if it is compatible to member offers and/ other promos ?

I have a cabin on hold at which I admit is a favourable price and have applied for the quarterly member savings offer of 10 % - the cruise is on the list of sailings and we are on discoverer plus level.

Azamara Cruises is not sure if the reduction can be applied because they say it is a "closed user rate". The booking is for a regular cabin , not a GTY and nothing shows on the travel agent's site that it is a restricted fare.

I know that the secrets of pricing, discounts and their combination and the availability of both may make your head whirl. :confused: Nevertheless - can somebody advise? I also don't know if a LCV discount can be combined with the shareholder credit.

Can somebody well versed in the secrets of pricing explain to me what a "closed user rate" is and if it is compatible to member offers and/ other promos ?

I have a cabin on hold at which I admit is a favourable price and have applied for the quarterly member savings offer of 10 % - the cruise is on the list of sailings and we are on discoverer plus level.

Azamara Cruises is not sure if the reduction can be applied because they say it is a "closed user rate". The booking is for a regular cabin , not a GTY and nothing shows on the travel agent's site that it is a restricted fare.

I know that the secrets of pricing, discounts and their combination and the availability of both may make your head whirl. :confused: Nevertheless - can somebody advise? I also don't know if a LCV discount can be combined with the shareholder credit.

Hi Grayjay,

A "closed user rate" is some sort of a Group rate, generally available to 1 or more TA's. As it's a special fare, I'm unsure if it qualifies for any further discounts.

As for the Shareholder benefit, Royal Caribbean ruined this benefit a few years ago, as it's generally not combinable with other offers. With that said, I'd absolutely recommend applying for the credit. It only takes a few minutes to complete the paperwork, and you have nothing to lose by trying.

I will defer to Bonnie on additional answers. I hope this helps !

The problem as I found out is many UK and European travel agents do not make it clear you have actually booked under a restricted rate until after you are locked into a restricted booking. It would be far fairer if you knew up front so you therefore knew you would not be eligible for promotions, shareholder credit etc and you could factor this into your calculations

Since Azamara is telling you that your quoted rate is not eligible for the LCV discount, why not call Azamara (or ask your TA) to quote a "retail rate" and see if it will work out lower with the discount than what your TA quoted you? You should still be able to use the TA with that rate.

Your TA might prefer to use their group rate (if that's what it is) as it probably means more money for them, but you are the client and should be able to control that or change TAs.

Thank you for all your help and answers. I'm still hoping for a positive decision so I might book the cruise - after 3 cruises this year I'm on a bit of a budget....:o And secondly I simply hate these kinds of promos where you are offered a carrot and it's snatched away the minute you move...

So let's see what the ultimate and hopefully consumer-friendly decision of the cruise line is - hoping for the best .

I agree with Host Andy's idea ( tnank you, Andy) that the closed user rate might be a kind of group rate offered to travel agents, obviously to many because the same rate is offered by all online agencies I looked at and for weeks and weeks, too, because that cruise didn't seem to sell well - even if it has a fabulous itinerary.

Okay...from those that know better than I: A closed-user rate is a special negotiated rate with a travel partner(s), not necessarily a group rate.

I'm told these rates do not combine with any other offer or promotion.

As mentioned by others here, I'd shop around and do some comparisons.

Thank you for all your help and answers. I'm still hoping for a positive decision so I might book the cruise - after 3 cruises this year I'm on a bit of a budget....:o And secondly I simply hate these kinds of promos where you are offered a carrot and it's snatched away the minute you move...

So let's see what the ultimate and hopefully consumer-friendly decision of the cruise line is - hoping for the best .

I agree with Host Andy's idea ( tnank you, Andy) that the closed user rate might be a kind of group rate offered to travel agents, obviously to many because the same rate is offered by all online agencies I looked at and for weeks and weeks, too, because that cruise didn't seem to sell well - even if it has a fabulous itinerary.

Thank you for your kind comments Grayjay. I hope it all works out in your favor. Please let us know the outcome, and good luck to you !