We Saw Aurora from our balcony

Kriswinegar

Just back from Alaka Cruise on the Ruby Princess. We sailed the 6th to the 13th of Sept. I wanted to post about our Aurora experience. I had reasearched other cruise ship Aurora Experinces with little luck. Most said it would be highly improbable. In fact, i was hard pressed to find one account of an Alaskan inside passage trip where the lights were seen from the boat. I also watched the Aurora forcast for months. The week before our trip it looked good for Juneau but the forcast for our week was greatly deminish

On Tuesday night, after leaving Ketchican, i happened out on my balcony upon returning to my cabin around 10:30 pm. I thought I saw something strange, but was not sure. I called my friend, who was also on this cruise with her family. to come up with her fancy camera. She shot this strange thing in the sky (it looked like a cloud , but not really). Her camera picked up slight green. As the night wore on, we had two families (4 adults and 5 kids) piled on our mini suite balcony watching the most unbelievable show. Some were like snakes in the sky moving, some were like curtains. It would fad and then grow again. We saw green, purple and a bit of orange. FOR TWO HOURS. When our friends finally left, my husband and i sat outside, wrapped in blankets, watching the last of the Aurora die.

My son had written his research paper last year on the Northern Lights. We had much information about the miracle we were seeing. I would call this the best field trip ever for our kids. (both families homeschool)

There is hope for those who want this experice and wont be going way North into Alask and wont be going very far inland. You can see it from a cruise ship.

I must add, i had been praying about this for months. I count this experience, from what i understand in very rare from a cruise, to be a personal answered prayer.

Edited by Kriswinegar

This is so exciting! I specifically booked a September cruise in hopes of seeing the Aurora! I get alerts sent to my phone and pay for a service. :) I am so hoping the weather is favorable for us (in a year!).

Congrats to you - what a great thing for you to see!

I have always said, that with a strong solar storm, you can see them from a shi[. this years lights so far this year have been spectacular....BUT, they dont come on a timetable. You have to be willing to stay up and see them....They are there in the daylight but you can't see them. I remember driving to work one morning about 8 AM and the sun was coming up over the lights and it was amazing.....Anyway, I digress, you can see them.....

We were on the cruise as well. My wife woke me up telling me it was out at about 11PM. I jumped awake and ran outside on the balcony. My apologies if anyone saw me naked, but I was excited. As cold as it was I ran back in and put on clothes. It was amazing!

We were on the cruise as well. My wife woke me up telling me it was out at about 11PM. I jumped awake and ran outside on the balcony. My apologies if anyone saw me naked, but I was excited. As cold as it was I ran back in and put on clothes. It was amazing!

thanks for the giggle ;) NOW THATS a story to tell :D i would be just as excited as you! Leaving Saturday, hoping to have your luck! :)

thanks for the giggle ;) NOW THATS a story to tell :D i would be just as excited as you! Leaving Saturday, hoping to have your luck! :)

Also saw a wild bear at Mendenhall Glacier, tons of eagles and whales. Dall's Porpoise. It was a great trip.

We saw them September 4 leaving Ketchikan! Another cruiser said it was her 4th time in Alaska and it was her first time seeing them so active. They were spectacular. Definitely once-in-a-lifetime. :)

Edited by tx_jackie

We saw them September 4 leaving Ketchikan! Another cruiser said it was her 4th time in Alaska and it was her first time seeing them so active. They were spectacular. Definitely once-in-a-lifetime. :)

You were extremely lucky. :) It is not common to see them from cruise ships. I have over 50 cruises in Alaska, and have only seen them twice from the ship. ;)

yes...i have almost a hundred of them. i was lucky enough to have another family on board, great friends, that had great cameras. we set up a tri pod and she was able to focus on a mountain range, thus allowing the camera to pick up the colors. we found our plain cameras could not pick up enought light. she programed her camera to keep lense open longer for more light to enter.

as soon as i get them downloaded onto this desk top (probably not untill this weekend) i will post them. stay tuned.