Why Tunisia?

Love2Cruz2015

I really want to book the new Meraviglia but the Tunisian port is bothersome. Is there a financial reason MSC re-instated the port after several problems ( or should I say deaths) with terrorism? I get the whole "we're not going to give in to terrorism" thing, but why not avoid the risk altogether and just switch to Malta or another area country that is safer?

There is a reason MSC doesn't go around Cape horn when cruising to Dubai, (It would make for a nice Israel/Dubai route..but I understand why they don't offer it) Why aren't the same safety cautions applied to the port of Tunis?

Yes, I could use the port as my "day on the ship", but I would rather be no where near Tunis.

What is Italy gaining from visiting that port?

It is more than likely the port fees are cheaper to.

I'm booked on the Meraviglia. It may not end up going to Tunis at all, they may switch if the situation doesn't settle down. If they do go, I'll be sticking to justbthe Ruise terminal and the rest of the time in the spa.....

I really want to book the new Meraviglia but the Tunisian port is bothersome. Is there a financial reason MSC re-instated the port after several problems ( or should I say deaths) with terrorism? I get the whole "we're not going to give in to terrorism" thing, but why not avoid the risk altogether and just switch to Malta or another area country that is safer?

There is a reason MSC doesn't go around Cape horn when cruising to Dubai, (It would make for a nice Israel/Dubai route..but I understand why they don't offer it) Why aren't the same safety cautions applied to the port of Tunis?

Yes, I could use the port as my "day on the ship", but I would rather be no where near Tunis.

I think instead of asking why MSC are still going to Tunisia the question should be why are people still booking a cruise that still goes to Tunisia. If nobody booked the cruise then I would think that MSC would have a a bit of a rethink.

I guess they are hoping that until 2017 there is time enough to put safety measures in place! Me, i'm booked on the Maraviglia for september and i might just stay aboard if i don't feel safe.

Maybe it is because the details were already drawn up for the release date and before the murders over there!

Cruises can change itinerary on the fly, they do so due to weather, many cruiselines, including MSC cancelled Tunis for the rest of 2015 after the terrorists acts...

It's definetly financial and it's sad to see if they put that over their passenger's safety. I understand the bottom line and all..but seriously, pick another port and I'd be more inclined to book.

My cruise for next week always said tunisia..but when I got my papers I saw the ports had changed and instead we are going to Malta..so maybe they are just seeing if things change and then if not will change the port..still a long time away.. ?? I dont know.:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Received email from MSC today to say they have changed the itinerary to drop Tunis and replace with Valetta. Reason stated was security and safety of passengers and crew.

very sensible decision and Valetta is a much nicer port of call.