Tendering in Juneau...how bad is it?

Hmaok

Also suggest your posting to the Ports page and look for information on Juneau as your question is not a general Celebrity question but about tendering that applies to other cruise lines. Think you will get more information there.

Tricks for tendering? Really simply - stay on board, have a suite, or get in line VERY early. Any tendering port can go either well or be awful depending on the weather or where the ship is required to anchor. Those two factors change each cruise. We have gotten off tendering in 10 minutes after docking and had to wait 2 hours. No way to predict.

We did the catamaran glacier tour on the Juneau date. The catamaran brought us back to the ship and we were told by Celebrity staff that if we wanted to tender to Juneau after the tour to keep our tour sticker and that would allow us to move to the front of the line whenever we decided to tender in. It worked like a charm for my group of eight. Good thing, as the line was still rather long.

If you aren't on the catamaran tour, I agree with the recommendations already given.

We did not tender in any Alaska port including Juneau. Choose an itinerary where you don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fine if dates are not a consideration. If you are traveling with others and some people have to schedule around work and appointments, choosing a date for a cruise can be limited.

My big problem with tendering is the hot-rodder tendency of many tender drivers.

Kathy

Cruisencadie,

I am going to guess from your observation of "hot rodder tendency" that you are not familiar with small boat maneuvering in rough seas? Heading into "larger" waves and applying a burst of power (speed) at the correct moment is the critical safety key. Perhaps this is what you experienced which could seem like "hot rodding".

Although I am sure there are occasional exceptions, most crew piloting the tenders, regardless of the cruise line, are skillful and will not last long at that job if they are "hot-rodding". Now my teenage friends and I, many years ago - that is a different story.

Cruisencadie,

I am going to guess from your observation of "hot rodder tendency" that you are not familiar with small boat maneuvering in rough seas? Heading into "larger" waves and applying a burst of power (speed) at the correct moment is the critical safety key. Perhaps this is what you experienced which could seem like "hot rodding".

Although I am sure there are occasional exceptions, most crew piloting the tenders, regardless of the cruise line, are skillful and will not last long at that job if they are "hot-rodding". Now my teenage friends and I, many years ago - that is a different story.

No, I'm talking about the time when the pilot asked if he should go faster, a few people said yes, and he sped up, even though the rest of us said no, we already had queasy stomachs.

Kathy