Garment bag as carry on?

StayAtHomeWrapMom

I'm flying southwest and my garment bag does not fit the "standard" carry on measurements. I emailed southwest and their response was not an answer to my inquiry.

Has anyone used their garment bag as a carry on even though it's not the standard carry on size?

Is it a soft, crushable one or one with wheels? The ones with wheels could be to big to even fit in the overhead.

It is soft except where it folds in half. That is a hard plastic piece which is longer than the 10x16x24 that the southwest site states as the size allowed

I've never used a garment bag on vacation before and I have no idea how strict the carry on rules are

You already know it exceeds the allowable measurements, so why try to skirt the rules? Even if you can fit it in the overhead, nearly every garment bag that I've ever seen would take up more room in the bin left-to-right than a normal carry on size bag. That means that even if you can wedge it in there, the bin will hold fewer rollaboards than usual, so you may end up inconveniencing someone else. As a courtesy to your fellow passengers, please abide by the stated 10x16x24. Don't forget that Southwest will let you check a bag at no additional charge.

I'm curious as to how your email was worded...

'Dear Southwest,

I see you have a comprehensive page regarding the allowable limits for size and number of carry-on pieces allowed, however, I'd rather disregard them and use a big of my own choosing that doesn't meet those requirements. Is that ok?

Thanks.'

I actually asked if their policy was strictly the luggage dimensions 10x16x24 or if like many other airlines it was based off of total inches (American Airlines in 45 inches example 22x14x9)

And they responded saying they recommend waiting until all other carry ons where stored and then laying a garment bag on top of others luggage to prevent it getting damaged. Which did not relate to my inquiry

I am also aware I can check luggage but I'd rather not check my formal wear since I know how they just toss the luggage around

Are you flying first class? Then a probably OK. Otherwise no. Since SWA does not charge for baggage why not pack in something else and check it? Understand formal wear issues but cramming it into an overhead bin seems worse than a careful pack in a hard suitcase.

Edited by az_tchr

I'm flying southwest and my garment bag does not fit the "standard" carry on measurements. I emailed southwest and their response was not an answer to my inquiry.

Has anyone used their garment bag as a carry on even though it's not the standard carry on size?

Before all of these standards began I used to take a garment bag. I don't anymore.

The issue is that you just don't know.

My son just flew Southwest and had a garment bag and checked it in.

Even if someone was able to bring it on for their flight it doesn't mean you will be so lucky.

So, one option is you bring it with the understanding that they might require you at the gate to check it in. Or don't bring it. Or check it in from the get go.

Keith

Are you flying first class? Then a probably OK. Otherwise no. Since SWA does not charge for baggage why not pack in something else and check it? Understand formal wear issues but cramming it into an overhead bin seems worse than a careful pack in a hard suitcase.

??? OP is on Southwest. There is no F. Also, Southwest has no storage closets. If it exceeds carryon size, you need to check it.

Adhering strictly to SWA rules, it has to be checked (no fee as others commented). The gate agent or cabin crew may enforces it, especially if the flight is running full or the station manager at that airport is strict.

Reality is, you will *probably* be OK if your second carry-on item is the under-seat item and not another bin item. Get an aisle seat and add your garment bag last, on top of the other bin luggage. Don't hog bin space by putting the garment bag in before other passenger's rollaboards. But, you should be prepared to check the garment bag.

Edited by kenish