Whisper Menus

looking

Two of the $140.00 Sauvignon Blanc wines (Matanzas Creek California and Cloudy Bay New Zealand) are served without extra charge on Seabourn.

Matanzas Creek is less than 3 miles from my home; the Sauvignon Blanc retails for less than $50.00 here.

Just back from Costco. 2014 Cloudy Bay at $22.99!

Love California retail wine prices!

Thanks for posting the menus, however to clear up the confusion on the wine menu, these are the discounted prices for 3 bottles!

Cloudy Bay SB still costs $45 a pop on the standard Whisper price list, and this is not the Te Koko, which can be bought in Majestic for 32.5 STG today.

Thanks for the updated info.

Cloudy Bay markup at $45 is reasonable.

Thanks for posting the menus, however to clear up the confusion on the wine menu, these are the discounted prices for 3 bottles!

Cloudy Bay SB still costs $45 a pop on the standard Whisper price list, and this is not the Te Koko, which can be bought in Majestic for 32.5 STG today.

Thanks for "clearing up the confusion" but I am now very much more confused! :confused:

The wine menu doesn't say on the menu that the price is for three different bottles of wine - an essential bit of information, and I have never seen a wine list before that does anything else but list the price of a bottle of wine. i'm also puzzled as to why someone paying this excess charge (presumably there is a netting off of the house flow wine cost) and why you wouldn't choose three individual wines of your own choice rather than a randomly selected three or four for some reason if you choose sommeliers choice.

The list to me simply appears to band a group of wines that are identically priced, and I'm puzzled as to why if you like a particular brand of champers, why you would by two different ones instead of your first choice. Bizarre.

This seems really odd and has confused me. Is it intended to stock suite bars as I can't understand when someone would do this?

Te Koko is available in the UK at around £26 to £27.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff,

One reason I can think of is if the price for three bottles is discounted compared to the per bottle price. Since this doesn't appear to be the actual connoisseur's wine list, maybe it's some sort of special offering.

Mark

Jeff,

One reason I can think of is if the price for three bottles is discounted compared to the per bottle price. Since this doesn't appear to be the actual connoisseur's wine list, maybe it's some sort of special offering.

Mark

Yes, I can guess as well but but who is the offer intended to be for and in what situation? :confused:

If it is intended for people with too much cash but cannot choose any wines for themselves and want three at a time then ... it is indeed an offer that might giv them boasting rights for those easily impressed.

If you take champagne for a logocal example to simplify the confusion .. most people either will drink anything or have a favourite. If you drink anything perhaps it is more sensible for you to simply drink what's on tap. If you have a favourite you will drink that and pay for the privelage. People are either fussy about their champers ... or not ... or some will pretend to be so will drink anything. This scheme seems to favour the latter who want to pretend to be descriminating and want boasting rights and who have cash. I mean to be nice but what person spends $450 on a supplement for a different champagne and says "bring me whatever!". Or who spends $1500 on a pot luck 3 bottles of red?

If you are going to spend that sort of cash on a supplement for three bottles of wine you either know what you are doing and choose based on knowledge or you do what you suggest.

I clearly am not getting something that others get for which I remain sorry. :(:confused:

Jeff

There are no Aussie whites, Tiki and Arra SB from NZ.

Ok Tiki isn't available here.....

Ara is around $15 bottle so I may grab one to see if I like it and it likes me.

And that doesn't mean I won't be exploring elsewhere ;)

Edited by MrsWaldo

Not quite sure that flies at SS prices.

Being cheap is not so much about your level of spending as it placing price above value/quality. Possibly, something like spending $10k on a cruise and then buying three bottles of wine that may not be your favorites just because you got a discount.