If Dad can't go ?

EmmasNana

She can change (swap really) the name, but then dropping him as a third won't get her the fare back. I think it has to be more than 2 weeks.

She wants to change the dad to be the third so she can drop him with less penalty. But they sail in a few days.

If I don't get any money back that is okay.

Now I just found out it isn't his real job that is the issue. He volunteered to be the coach for his son's hockey team. The first practice is the 29th and the leveling tournaments are while we are on the cruise too. They found a replacement for the practice but not for the tournament's yet.

just to be sure ... there is a difference between "texting" and "e-mail". As I understand it, texting is usually done through your cell phone, and uses the phone service, while e-mail uses the internet. If in fact he wants to be able to send text messages on the ship, then this will be a problem, as most cell phones don't send or receive messages while at sea. There may be a way to get international coverage, but they will be extremely expensive. If it is e-mail (internet) that he needs, then that is doable. Internet speeds are slower than he will be used to, but he would be able to stay on top of things although maybe not in "real time". In that scenario, the unlimited internet package would be the only way to go.

No doubt there will be others on CC that are more knowledgeable than I on the details behind texting versus e-mail, but that is my understanding

Thanks, it seems I was mistaken. He won't need text or email. I assumed it was his daytime job, not his volunteer hockey coach job. I know what I would do if I were him.

Thanks, it seems I was mistaken. He won't need text or email. I assumed it was his daytime job, not his volunteer hockey coach job. I know what I would do if I were him.

well, that is certainly a less complicated matter ... :D:D:D

well, that is certainly a less complicated matter ... :D:D:D

Agreed! Now the issue is the schedules for the tournaments wont be out until we are already on the ship, so none of the other coaches will commit to take his place.

His son wont even be participating since he will be on the cruise with us. Hopefully they will take pity on him.

I think I will stop paying for family cruises. Maybe if they have to pay for a change they will clear their schedules.

...and that right there I why I don't volunteer anymore.

Every single one of the kids on the team has parents, or grand parents, or aunts and uncles. The ones that will complain the loudest if the team has to forfeit a game are the absolute last ones that would step up to fill in as coach, and the absolute first ones to complain if their kid got benched because they missed a practice due a family vacation.

You'll have to show me that one, LOL

My response was in regards to getting more than taxes and fees back on the third person.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323

It has been posted that 3rd person cancellations will get back the full amount of the fare price as long as it is not within 14 days of sailing.

Is there a possibility he just doesn't really want to come?

I considered this but he really enjoyed the last one two years ago and he is the best Dad ever and enjoys his kids and family.

Our family cruises are not suffocating at all. The only excursion we all did together was one beach day in Cozumel. We had dinner together most nights but not all. There was never any pressure to be together unless you wanted to.

If this were the other son in law, I might think it true. We are not the best of friends and we hardly ever saw him except dinner. Oh yeah, he is the only one who didn't do the beach day and we never saw him out and about. He "claimed" he was to busy "working". I don't believe he would cancel because he would like to get anything free from me that he can.

just to be sure ... there is a difference between "texting" and "e-mail". As I understand it, texting is usually done through your cell phone, and uses the phone service, while e-mail uses the internet. If in fact he wants to be able to send text messages on the ship, then this will be a problem, as most cell phones don't send or receive messages while at sea. There may be a way to get international coverage, but they will be extremely expensive. If it is e-mail (internet) that he needs, then that is doable. Internet speeds are slower than he will be used to, but he would be able to stay on top of things although maybe not in "real time". In that scenario, the unlimited internet package would be the only way to go.

No doubt there will be others on CC that are more knowledgeable than I on the details behind texting versus e-mail, but that is my understanding

If you use Apple's iMessage or a similar Android app, such as Verizon's Message+, then text message can be sent and received via the ship's wifi (assuming you pay to use it) instead of the cellular network.

My response was in regards to getting more than taxes and fees back on the third person.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323

It has been posted that 3rd person cancellations will get back the full amount of the fare price as long as it is not within 14 days of sailing.

What does the ink have to do with it?

If you use Apple's iMessage or a similar Android app, such as Verizon's Message+, then text message can be sent and received via the ship's wifi (assuming you pay to use it) instead of the cellular network.

see ... I did not know this ... so in theory, people on board the ship together could keep in touch for change of plans etc, by sending an iMessage ... I am always so nervous about getting surprise data or roaming charges for my cell phone when traveling internationally

Edited by Slopoke15

What does the ink have to do with it?

I posted that because it shows the time period (14 days) of 100% penalty. I had posted that one should cancel before that in order to get back the 3rd person's fare.

I wasn't sure how much the 3rd would get, but I did call and as long as you are before the 100% penalty phase (see chart for cruise length and penalty phases) the 3rd booking should get a full refund. After 100% penalty phase they would only get taxes and fees back.

see ... I did not know this ... so in theory, people on board the ship together could keep in touch for change of plans etc, by sending an iMessage ... I am always so nervous about getting surprise data or roaming charges for my cell phone when traveling internationally

Correct. Each device would need iMessage and a WiFi plan.

I almost always need to work from the ship regardless of the speed of the internet. My company pays for the unlimited package and I am easily able to log into my work PC from the ship using the Citrix product - GoToMyPC - with no issues.

"I think I will stop paying for family cruises. Maybe if they have to pay for a change they will clear their schedules."

Seems like that is a good idea for any future family cruises together. When the money comes out of their own wallets they are more likely to make better arrangements to be present on the cruises. I myself would not be happy if the reason for the possible last minute/no money back cancellation would be because of a "volunteer" commitment. Hopefully he will realize the expenses lost to you if he chooses not to sail and will make other arrangements to have someone take his place at home. Good Luck, it's tough at times when dealing with in-laws.

Just an update:

Son in law says he told the powers that be when he agreed to be coach about the cruise. They were trying to pressure him and get him to stay. Really?? Would they? He said he felt like a real a$$ for not being there. I like that he feels he should stand by a commitment that he made, but he did tell them up front. I am sure now that he tells them, they will find someone to fill in.

My daughter told him he needed to make a decision. She asked him what really mattered, a non paying coaching job or family? She told me she was glad he made the right decision.

Drama, drama, drama...I don't like it.

Just an update:

Son in law says he told the powers that be when he agreed to be coach about the cruise. They were trying to pressure him and get him to stay. Really?? Would they? He said he felt like a real a$$ for not being there. I like that he feels he should stand by a commitment that he made, but he did tell them up front. I am sure now that he tells them, they will find someone to fill in.

My daughter told him he needed to make a decision. She asked him what really mattered, a non paying coaching job or family? She told me she was glad he made the right decision.

As a Grand Parent, we do a lot for our grand kids (and consequently their parents) so they can have many of the great experiences life can offer, I am glad your SIL made the right decision. Enjoy your cruise!!

Due to work related issues my son in law may not be able to go on our upcoming family cruise. I booked their family of five in two rooms. The Mom and daughters age 7 and 11 are booked in an ocean view room and the Dad and 9 year old son are booked in the adjoining balcony room. If Dad does not make the cruise, on paper it will show the 9 year old in a room by himself although Mom would be right next door. The reality is that she would be sleeping in the balcony room along with maybe one of the kids. Is this going to be a problem?

Options for the Dad:

At this point I see no benefit in canceling him. Insurance would not pay for this type of cancellation. I have heard on other lines that if someone in a two person room cancels that the one person left has to pay the double occupancy rate, even if the room has been paid in full and too late for return of any money,(aside from port fees and gratuities).

1. Should Dad be a no show and if so when do you let RC know he will not be coming.

2, If Dad is able to work from the ship, is the internet useable and how much is a package.

3. If Dad is able to join us at the first port which would be Cozumel, would this violate the Jones Act and if so what would the consequences be.

Sorry so long and thanks for any useful info.

1) I don't think dad should be a no-show. You have to pay for a no-show(unless its past the final payment date anyway. Is it?) As long as mom is even in an adjoining room with 3 kids, you should be fine.

2) Depends entirely on the ship. Old ships like the Mariner or the liberty have bad wifi. I've heard the newer ships have much better systems. That said, they rely on satellites for their internet and satts arent reliable. They are affected by weather and nobody points their satellite at the ocean. Best case scenario, expect 8hrs randomly here or there with zero internet access. Expect great internet while in port! :s

3) Uh, what? No, I don't think the Jones Act applies... at all. However, unless he shows up to departure, is checked in, and is issued a seapass card, I highly doubt he will be allowed to join in cozumel. If he were to show up, have a seapass issued and 'somehow' still miss the boat, I imagine they would allow him to catch-up and board at his own expense at any later port.

Edited by Diplomacy

Just an update:

So i take it SIL decided to cruise with you all? I hope so. I find it interesting that he said he would feel "like an a$$ and feels he should stand by a commitment that he made" yet sounds like he committed to the cruise before committing to the hockey. I hope you and your whole family enjoy the cruise.

Kid sports are not always set up efficiently so he may have done the best he can with what he has....my daughter took her son to ball practice and not only did he get assigned to a whole different team made up on that day ,she came home as coach!!....she had to miss the leveling process due to a prior family commitment . ...it all worked out....hope you have a wonderful time ...

As a Grand Parent, we do a lot for our grand kids (and consequently their parents) so they can have many of the great experiences life can offer, I am glad your SIL made the right decision. Enjoy your cruise!!

This is so true. This whole cruise is due to one of the little grands (who's name is in my user name). She was sad and told me with a quivering voice that they would not be able to take a family vacation because they couldn't afford it.

Her Papa and I would do anything for them all.:)

So i take it SIL decided to cruise with you all? I hope so. I find it interesting that he said he would feel "like an a$$ and feels he should stand by a commitment that he made" yet sounds like he committed to the cruise before committing to the hockey. I hope you and your whole family enjoy the cruise.

Yes, plus right before final payment I rechecked with them all to make sure they were all still on board.

I think sometimes it is easier to disappoint those closest to you because although they may get upset, they will still love you anyway. Kind of sad but I have found it to be true.