Just got off Carnival Dream, my experience.

Joliving4Jesus

Wow, Allure sounds amazing!! My husband might be making management in his company next year and if he does we're totally going to try one of the huge Royal ships, as a family of 5 we just can't afford it right now with one income, I am a stay at home mom.

I see that you're in Marietta. We are in Peachtree City (Hi "neighbor"!). Keep in mind that the Oasis of the Seas is coming to Port Canaveral when the Harmony is completed, which will make it much easier (and affordable) for those of us in the Atlanta area to sail on these big ships. For us, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami means the added cost of airfare, but not out of Port Canaveral since we will normally drive there. I do have my eyes on one of those sailings already! [emoji41]

Edited by Tapi

This thread has rekindled my memories of having my 16 month old daughter Liliana in the MDR for the early seating. Every night, it seemed, I'd learn to make adjustments but we could never fully appreciate a peaceful meal.

Before we walked in the MDR together, I learned to rush ahead to our assigned table and remove all the little distractions like the butter and water glasses.

Our wait staff learned to quickly take our order and have fruit at the ready. As soon as that was done, we'd wait as long as we could before she began to give signs of being restless. Then I'd take the first shift, walking with her around the MDR and even going outside the room to play. One of those trips outside gained me an opportunity to observe a pod of orca!

Then I'd return and Babycat would take her. We'd trade shifts until our food arrived and sometimes even during the meal. Our neighbors at dinner were very understanding and their 4ish year old son even entertained her sometimes.

Next time (April 8th, 2016) I will choose my time dining and request a booth. She just has more room to play in a booth and it seemed to work for brunch. If that doesn't work, we'll just have dinner on the Lido. No big deal.

I'm sorry that you had bad experiences. You sound like a good mom who just needs a small break.

Thank you I appreciate that, I don't get many breaks and adore my kids but just to refresh a bit I do need that occasional break, we are a family that enjoys eating out but we have cut way back because my twins don't handle it well, we have bought portable DVD players for them at the table and that helps some but not the entire length of dinner. We had my time dinning too, in the past we would have a set dinning time and found it much more stressful getting there right on time.

I see that you're in Marietta. We are in Peachtree City (Hi "neighbor"!). Keep in mind that the Oasis of the Seas is coming to Port Canaveral when the Harmony is completed, which will make it much easier (and affordable) for those of us in the Atlanta area to sail on these big ships. For us, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami means the added cost of airfare, but not out of Port Canaveral since we will normally drive there. I do have my eyes on one of those sailings already! [emoji41]

Oh wow, yeah you are close! I had no idea Oasis was coming to port Canaveral, do you know when that is happening? We have drove to port Canaveral many times and we planned on making the drive to Miami when Vista is complete, it's about a 10 hour drive but more cost efficient as it would be over $1000 to fly our whole family, 10 hours is the furthest we would drive though and we would do it over two days. Have you ever sailed Norwegian? We are considering trying that line next.

Edited by Joliving4Jesus

I was on this same sailing. I agree with the OP about many things. There is no such thing as a bad cruise but this was my least favorite so far. We just didn't seem to get that friendly, personalized service that I've had on previous voyages. The buffet...lack of choices...is why I rarely eat the main buffet and always eat in the MDR for breakfast and dinner.. I will get pizza or sandwiches occasionally but that's it. My kids are grown so I have no experience with camp carnival but from what I saw, they weren't set up in their designated areas? It looked like a makeshift spot on deck four? Not defending their attitude, but this displacement may have been the reason for their "short" attitude.

Oh and don't get me started about the elevators.

I also need to ask those that were on this sailing. On the last two days, did you smell a strong paint smell in or around your cabins? We were on deck 1 and it was so strong that it burned our eyes and made us nauseous.

I was on this same sailing. I agree with the OP about many things. There is no such thing as a bad cruise but this was my least favorite so far. We just didn't seem to get that friendly, personalized service that I've had on previous voyages. The buffet...lack of choices...is why I rarely eat the main buffet and always eat in the MDR for breakfast and dinner.. I will get pizza or sandwiches occasionally but that's it. My kids are grown so I have no experience with camp carnival but from what I saw, they weren't set up in their designated areas? It looked like a makeshift spot on deck four? Not defending their attitude, but this displacement may have been the reason for their "short" attitude.

Oh and don't get me started about the elevators.

I also need to ask those that were on this sailing. On the last two days, did you smell a strong paint smell in or around your cabins? We were on deck 1 and it was so strong that it burned our eyes and made us nauseous.

Yes we got an email a couple days prior to our sailing saying camp carnival was being renovated and the activities would be elsewhere, they were moved to the cold, unexciting chambers on level 4, normally camp is all bright and colorful and makes kids want to go in, they did little to make the move appealing to kids at all, just threw in some toys and called it a day, disappointing!!

And yes, I smelled the horrible strong paint smells on the last two days, I kept looking around to see where the smell came from but never seen anyone painting.

Oh the elevators were awful!! I waited so long at some or them that if it was less than 3 floors I wouldn't even attempt them anymore, I'd just walk the stairs, terrible.

I'm sorry you had to deal with some of the same issues but so glad someone knows what I am talking about, it was truly a let down experience but I did have some fun times too.

Ahh, I didn't know that, I'm not holding my breath for reimbursement, I'm just grateful it was found, but so upset about the stress I went through when I made the discovery.

Yeah don't let those guys fool you. I know the porters at Port Canaveral make $30+ an hour!

Thanks for your review. We were seriously considering booking a cruise on the Dream, however I have read so many negative reviews regarding MDR service and temperature in staterooms that I am not willing to risk my precious vacation time. A hot stateroom can ruin a vacation and it seems it is all too common on the Dream.

Thanks for your review. We were seriously considering booking a cruise on the Dream, however I have read so many negative reviews regarding MDR service and temperature in staterooms that I am not willing to risk my precious vacation time. A hot stateroom can ruin a vacation and it seems it is all too common on the Dream.

I'm glad I could help, for what we paid we didn't expect to be waking up in a sweat every morning with nothing done about it and while I liked the food in the MDR it took far too long to serve, we tried to make the most of the trip but their was a lot of disappointments.

Just got off the dream. Our room was always cool, on 11th floor, and buffet stayed open till 9pm. Buffet selection is limited. Many choices for lunch. Brunch was great. I felt like service was great and very friendly employees. Third time on dream over the years and definitely our best experience.

Just got off the dream. Our room was always cool, on 11th floor, and buffet stayed open till 9pm. Buffet selection is limited. Many choices for lunch. Brunch was great. I felt like service was great and very friendly employees. Third time on dream over the years and definitely our best experience.

Sounds like they got enough complaints from our sailing and picked it up for your sailing, glad you had a good experience, wish ours had been better.

Same here. Been on her twice since she moved to Nola. Once last year and a few months ago. In 12 cruises by far my best experiences. From the service to the food to the accommodations, no complaints at all. Looking forward to #3 on her next April. Op sorry things were not up to par for your cruise.

Same here. Been on her twice since she moved to Nola. Once last year and a few months ago. In 12 cruises by far my best experiences. From the service to the food to the accommodations' date=' no complaints at all. Looking forward to #3 on her next April. Op sorry things were not up to par for your cruise.[/quote']

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I hate that my experience wasn't great, I think a large part of my disappointment was camp carnival and feeling rushed on time in the dinning room plus the room heat, we have decided to bring a nanny along with us on our next cruise, I think things will be much better that way!

WOW!!!! Seems like Camp Carnival on the Dream SUCKS!!!

Every single bad review is on the Dream.

Multiple reviews where people have said the same thing over and over.

So sad.

OP, I agree that you DO need a break.

Sorry you didn't get it.

We just have one DH, who is now 16, so I cannot relate.

Hopefully your next cruise is much better.:D

We loved Camp Carnival for my kids on Fascination, but my 5 year old son got kicked out after 45 minutes most days on Dream. He is special (medicated ADHD and ODD) but is mainstreamed at school and not a problem IF the workers attempt to play with him or interact with him. Like I said, on Fascination, he did great! But the Dream staff refused to do their jobs and play with him, instead just sitting was letting the kids play most of the time, and they said he was too crazy to be in there.

I was not impressed. This time, we left the kids at home. If we could afford Disney, we would. But as a family of 5 in one room, Disney requires a suite, and it is simply not in the budget.

Edited by luvsviola

We loved Camp Carnival for my kids on Fascination, but my 5 year old son got kicked out after 45 minutes most days on Dream. He is special (medicated ADHD and ODD) but is mainstreamed at school and not a problem IF the workers attempt to play with him or interact with him. Like I said, on Fascination, he did great! But the Dream staff refused to do their jobs and play with him, instead just sitting was letting the kids play most of the time, and they said he was too crazy to be in there.

I was not impressed. This time, we left the kids at home. If we could afford Disney, we would. But as a family of 5 in one room, Disney requires a suite, and it is simply not in the budget.

Wow this sounds just like us, we cruised the fascination earlier this year and had no troubles at all, my twins cried when we dropped them off like on the Dream but always stopped and the staff had no problems with that and actually played with them, dream was a different story. My older son also has adhd so I know how that can be and I'm sorry to hear about your experience, they need a whole new staff in camp carnival on the Dream.

We too are a family of 5 and cannot afford Disney or we would do it, we will either bring a nanny or hire one to stay home with our twins next cruise, luckily my older son understands enough to behave as long as he's given attention and on his meds so we'll bring him either way. I don't know what the staffs issue is on the Dream but they do not need to be working with kids.

I really wish I had seen this review before I booked on this ship! We just booked 5 cabins total and have 6 children between the ages of 2.5 and 8 traveling with us and I'm going to be more than livid if a service that is suppose to provide us with breaks from the kids turns into a nightmare situation such as yours. I will be watching future reviews on this subject very closely. :mad:

Who does laundry on a cruise?

I do, when the ship has a Laundromat, I just returned from a Carnival 10 day cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver, with 6 days at sea, we did laundry on the 6th day before reaching Hawaii, worked out great, did not have to bring excess clothing.

Currently on the dream. I'm very hot natured, and I'm in the cove no problems at all. Feels great. Did laundry on 2nd day all machines are working. Dining room service has been fast. In and out in under 90 minutes first three nights. We always do 4 sometimes 5 courses. No sewage smell either. My nose is an extremely sensitive nose.(im a sommelier I can sell the difference between a Cabernet and a merlot) if it was there I'd smell it. This might be the best cruise I ever have been on. I read this review three days prior to sailing, and thought oh no. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read

. I read this review three days prior to sailing, and thought oh no. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read

I don't think it is a matter of believing what you read, since I don't think reviewers are lying, it is more about understanding that reviewers are focusing on things that irritated them or made "their" cruise less than desirable. We all see, smell, react to different situations based on our own experiences.

Glad you are having a great cruise!

I really wish I had seen this review before I booked on this ship! We just booked 5 cabins total and have 6 children between the ages of 2.5 and 8 traveling with us and I'm going to be more than livid if a service that is suppose to provide us with breaks from the kids turns into a nightmare situation such as yours. I will be watching future reviews on this subject very closely.

Sounds like you already have a chip on shoulder and have decided how you will react to situations that may cause you some irritation....relax and see how it goes...tricky with kids, they are fussy, picky about food, are not preplanners :rolleyes: and kind of whine they don't get their own way, It comes with the territory so sometimes you plan around that and not fault the environment cause you could not go to dinner with just the adults or had to entertain your own kids for a period of time (its called a FAMILY vacation), back up plan B and probably C is probably good idea to head off any irritations...;)

Edited by Drazil65

Currently on the dream. I'm very hot natured, and I'm in the cove no problems at all. Feels great. Did laundry on 2nd day all machines are working. Dining room service has been fast. In and out in under 90 minutes first three nights. We always do 4 sometimes 5 courses. No sewage smell either. My nose is an extremely sensitive nose.(im a sommelier I can sell the difference between a Cabernet and a merlot) if it was there I'd smell it. This might be the best cruise I ever have been on. I read this review three days prior to sailing, and thought oh no. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read

Wow, I'm sorry but I found this to be quite disrespectful, I am glad you are enjoying your cruise but I did not lie about any of my experiences, me and my entire family woke up sweating each day in our rooms including my babies, dinning room times were close to 2 hours for our party of 7 and 8 and check back on that laundry toward the end, we went toward the end and 3 dryers were broke, we were not the only ones to complain, several people did and they just got signs put up, never fixed, to simply state not to believe what you read just because your experience has been different on a totally different sailing is quite rude. We are not complainers usually, we are a family that had no complaints on the tiny, no longer in existence carnival holiday, the dream was a let down on our sailing and the sewage smell could have certainly been fixed, it was definitely there and I read several other people that cruised around the same time as me say they smelled it too. Great that your experience has been positive, that doesn't mean others had the same experience.

Edited by Joliving4Jesus

I don't think it is a matter of believing what you read, since I don't think reviewers are lying, it is more about understanding that reviewers are focusing on things that irritated them or made "their" cruise less than desirable. We all see, smell, react to different situations based on our own experiences.

Glad you are having a great cruise!

Thank you, this is true, also since he is on a different sailing things could be totally different for him, ac issues fixed, sewage smell fixed, dinning room could have picked up on time with complaints, same as laundry issues, I found his comment very rude as everything I said was true on my sailing, I am happy for the ones that had a great sailing, this is the first cruise I've ever complained about.

I really wish I had seen this review before I booked on this ship! We just booked 5 cabins total and have 6 children between the ages of 2.5 and 8 traveling with us and I'm going to be more than livid if a service that is suppose to provide us with breaks from the kids turns into a nightmare situation such as yours. I will be watching future reviews on this subject very closely.

Sounds like you already have a chip on shoulder and have decided how you will react to situations that may cause you some irritation....relax and see how it goes...tricky with kids, they are fussy, picky about food, are not preplanners :rolleyes: and kind of whine they don't get their own way, It comes with the territory so sometimes you plan around that and not fault the environment cause you could not go to dinner with just the adults or had to entertain your own kids for a period of time (its called a FAMILY vacation), back up plan B and probably C is probably good idea to head off any irritations...;)

So you shouldn't fault an extremely rude childcare staff that paid no attention to your kids when they are being paid to do so? Yes, it IS a family vacation and that is why my kids were with me 80% of the time but to want a peaceful dinner and a little time to relax with my husband and older son on occasion is certainly not a crime, and is actually quite healthy for parents to do from time to time. I chose a cruise for my family for many reasons one of them being the childcare provided so we could have a little time to ourselves, people that don't understand that are usually not parents themselves or their kids are grown and they've forgot, I am with my kids all the time and me and my husband deserved that little break for what we paid on this cruise, camp staff was atrocious on the Dream and if you read any of the other responses you'd see others complained about it on dream too, never any camp issues on any other sailings.

Edited by Joliving4Jesus