Concierge Lounge on any other Cruise Line

lrovnan

We had access to the Concierge Lounge this past April on the Jewel because we had a Grand Suite.

It is 24 hour coffee and tea and then a light continental breakfast in the morning and then horsdvores in the evening. In the evening the concierge will be there to serve the drinks from the bar which are free. But that is the only time the free bar drinks are available. Otherwise the liquor is locked up. I think the time for the lounge in the evenings were 5:30 to 8:30 or 5 to 8:30, can't quite remember.

Susan :)

I just got off of Explorer and had access to the CL. It was actually a nice perk. Not only did you get the open bar in the evenings with light food but also coffee breakfast, dvd and cds to use in your suite, along with the concierge's services to book excursions, ice show tix, portofino, you name it, he'll take care of it.

We would pop into the lounge for a pre dinner drink and have Martin score us some tix to the shows and we'd come back to our suite that evening and they would be in our room. Sweet.

RCI is the only one of the mass market lines IME to have a concierge lounge with an open bar in the evenings. It is a perk I took advantage every day of my last cruise for the morning continental breakfast and freshly ground coffee. Evenings were very nice for socializing. The adult only, intimate atmosphere is very nice and makes for a nice experience.

It was a deciding factor in choosing Jewel over Century for my 12 night Baltic next year.

this concierge lounge sounds Right Up My Alley! hope they can make a better gin 'n tonic than what we got on the SOS! we emphasized "tonic" but it kept coming back w/water - finally gave up and switched to beer. do they "card" you? next sailing will 1st time as Diamond but son is only Gold - where is the C.Lounge???? Anything y'all care to share?

this concierge lounge sounds Right Up My Alley! hope they can make a better gin 'n tonic than what we got on the SOS! we emphasized "tonic" but it kept coming back w/water - finally gave up and switched to beer. do they "card" you? next sailing will 1st time as Diamond but son is only Gold - where is the C.Lounge???? Anything y'all care to share?

Sorry, but this is a privilege for Diamond only and IMHO it should be respected as such.

Just got off AOS. Our concierge did not make drinks for the guests. He barely looked up from the computer when guests walked in! He did things that were asked of him, but never went out of his way as far as hospitality is concerned. I wasn't looking for a buddy, but I thought he'd at least be as friendly and the wait staff and room stewards!

The Mariner conceirge was wonderful - she would always greet us when we came in and always asked how our day went. She was very interested about what we thought of the ports of call and the shore excursions.

The DVDs were nice too. I didn't use it, but my parents watched a couple of movies.

Not Carnval for sure. :( We had a suite last time, likely my first and only one. Other than a priority embarkation lounge, there were no perks at all.

Beth

I sailed with Carnival several times in a category 12 suite.You're right,absolutely nothing.The last time I sailed with them right before boarding they informed us in the lounge they were running late and would not be able to have priority boarding and sent us to the back of a huge line behind people that arrived after us.No loyalty program either.This was one of the factors for us switching to RCI.

Just got off AOS. Our concierge did not make drinks for the guests. He barely looked up from the computer when guests walked in! He did things that were asked of him, but never went out of his way as far as hospitality is concerned. I wasn't looking for a buddy, but I thought he'd at least be as friendly and the wait staff and room stewards!

Sounds like a concierge that's in dire need of a new line of work. Hello? RCI?

In contrast, Martin Sanchez on Explorer was incredible. He would NEVER sit down with guests in the lounge. Always attentive and intuitive to ones needs. Couldn't ask for anyone better.

OMG, we LOVED Giuseppe on the Enchantment! I never thought that I would like the Concierge Lounge as much as I did, BUT I DID! I never LET him make me a drink. A Mom knows how tough it is to wait on everyone, so I always told him that I'd make my own. :) The hors d'oeuvres were a nice touch, too. I only had coffee a couple of times in the off hours, but my kids borrowed lots of DVDs. (my "kids" are 17 & 19) He got my kids onto an excursion that was sold out. He LOVED that we cleaned up after ourselves. :D

You know what I really liked? There were two computers in there, so instead of going to the regular internet room, with the "peons" (tongue in cheek, guys, it's just a joke!), I was able to go online in peace and quiet. (It didn't help with the speed or the annoying CC screen-of-death, but it WAS private. No one could hear me swear at the screen! :D)

We were on the jewel transatlantic 8/30/05. There was an alternate conceirge lounge set up in the Odessy lounge during the evening cocktail hour. We were there every night with 20 of our closest friends ( fellow passeners we met through CC). I think they opened this alternate because on this cruise there was an inordinate number of Diamond and Diamond Plus members. If I remember correctly there were over 100.

Speaking to Peter Benfield, the CD, he said this was not atypical of the crossing cruises.

We've had suites on NCL, Celebrity and Disney. All had a concierge and/or butler service, but none had a concierge lounge like RCCL. Free cocktails are definitely a bonus...but we thought the CL on Voyager felt like sitting in an office. Plus, it's tough with no kids allowed after 5 when the bar was set up.

We did drink plenty of cappucino during the day though!

We are going on Voyager Sunday. My two aunts are in a suite that's a category higher than a Junior Suite (can't remember what it's called) and my Grandma and her sister are in a Junior Suite. Me and DH and mo-in-law are in plain old Atrium cabins. Wouldn't ya know it - none of the suite guests drink. So, do you think if they accompanied DH and I to the concierge lounge, DH and I could score some drinks??? After we've shown our face in the concierge lounge with the family, could DH and I go back alone for drinks? Just checking to see what limits we can push . . . Thanks for the advice.

We are going on Voyager Sunday. My two aunts are in a suite that's a category higher than a Junior Suite (can't remember what it's called) and my Grandma and her sister are in a Junior Suite. Me and DH and mo-in-law are in plain old Atrium cabins. Wouldn't ya know it - none of the suite guests drink. So, do you think if they accompanied DH and I to the concierge lounge, DH and I could score some drinks??? After we've shown our face in the concierge lounge with the family, could DH and I go back alone for drinks? Just checking to see what limits we can push . . . Thanks for the advice.

The category higher than JS is GS Grand Suite which does comes with CL priviliges. I'm definitely against anybody using the CL who is not authorized to be in there and the concierge generally knows who belongs and who doesn't. You'd have to use the GS guest's access cards.

Stand by to get flamed as there are a lot of people here who feel the same way that I do. Don't use it if you don't rate it.

Josephine is the Concierge for Voyager and i know that when we sailed in September she kept a good eye on who came in. At one point someone followed another couple in and she immediately stopped him and told him it was for diamond members and suite guests. She was such a wonderful concierge very busy making sure that the food and wine kept up, refreshed everyones one wine glass and even tried to make sure everyone had a seat. The one night I overheard a guest ask her if they can invite thier sister in law to the lounge for a drink since it was her birthday and she said it was fine. I believe the problem with just showing up with your family members is the lounge is always packed some nights there weren't enough chairs for everyone and people were standing. I can understand why people get upset , you spend alot of money on a suite.

We just got back on Sunday...

The Concierge on Serenade is on Deck 10...mid ship..as soon as you go up the stairs, it's on the left and it's mostly glass which made for beautiful viewing of the Alaska scenery. On the big ships there are no windows.

It's a nice perk and we went every night before dinner. It was 5-8:30 PM for cocktails..we never went in the morning. Our excursions were booked for us and Maritiza couldn't do enough. She also knew who belonged and who didn't as she called us by name before we even said our names..you need a separate access card (not SeaPass) to get in and my guess is that it's coded with your name and cabin number..there is no other way she could have known.

One couple came in with a toddler (one of very few children on this sailing) and were told that cocktail time was only for adults and they left. Don't know if they allow it in the morning.

OMG, we LOVED Giuseppe on the Enchantment! I never thought that I would like the Concierge Lounge as much as I did, BUT I DID!....
I agree -- it was one of the highlights of the cruise for us! I tended to use the lounge in the very early evening, and it was really relaxing to enjoy a glass of wine and check e-mail at the same time (it also made it less frustrating when the connections timed out;)). Guiseppe would always prepare a little plate of treats to bring back to my kids in the cabin, and we borrowed quite a few DVD's for the kids as well. The breakfast was really very nice, and very few people take advantage of this -- it is a wonderful alternative to the buffet or dining room, especially if you prefer a lighter breakfast (fruit, pastry, rolls, smoked salmon, juice, coffee). The lounge is open to families in the morning. The lounge itself is beautiful on the enchantment, with comfortable seating and large windows, much like the rest of this ship, with wonderful views (it's a shame that this ship is too long to cruise the panama canal, and therefore also won't be sailing to Alaska). After our experience on the Enchantment, I'm afraid that we are spoiled for life!

I agree -- it was one of the highlights of the cruise for us! The breakfast was really very nice, and very few people take advantage of this -- it is a wonderful alternative to the buffet or dining room, especially if you prefer a lighter breakfast (fruit, pastry, rolls, smoked salmon, juice, coffee). !

I had breakfast here every day of my Alaska cruise and was often the only one there. I loved it! Salmon, fruit and coffee are my concept of the perfect breakfast and the views, peace and quiet were lovely.

From everything y'all have written, the CL sounds like a wonderful amenity. VIP lounges are usually carded admissions; however, it does depend on the attitude of the crew-in-charge as to how everything is run, yes? We'll definitely have to check it out! I can see us going for drinks at 5P and leaving our connecting door to son's cabin open so he and his family of 4 will have access to two baths for getting ready for the evening. Does anyone know if Adventure Ocean does dinner each night for their attendees? I know they used to do only formal nights, but think I read somewhere that now AO does a dinner w/the kids each and every night? kids really don't want to be in the dining room - they make friends and that's with whom they prefer to be.

Archived