Aft wrap happy dance

Hgwells01

Woo hoo just booked 6166 on the Noordam again sailing out of Syd for 13 nights departing 2 Jan 16, my favorite cabin, did a Med cruise in it a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Exactly 3 months and I'll be sitting on that deck sailing around the pacific watching the world go by, thank you HAL for the chance to do it again from my home country in the lovely Noordam.

Aft wrap Jan, 2014 for 10 days in 5191 on the Z'dam Panama Canal run, this coming Jan in 5190 for 11 days in the Caribbean on the Oo'dam, and 5191 for 21 days Jan 2017 on the Oo'dam again. These two are sister Vista-classes to the Noordam. All aft wraps are great, but FYI, on the Vista class, deck five has the largest covered verandas. It has to do with the fact that they added cabins to the aft ends of the Vistas a few years after they were built, "squaring up" the profile. Deck 5 ended up with the biggest verandas. A marginal difference I'm sure, but thought you ought to know.

Aft wrap Jan, 2014 for 10 days in 5191 on the Z'dam Panama Canal run, this coming Jan in 5190 for 11 days in the Caribbean on the Oo'dam, and 5191 for 21 days Jan 2017 on the Oo'dam again. These two are sister Vista-classes to the Noordam. All aft wraps are great, but FYI, on the Vista class, deck five has the largest covered verandas. It has to do with the fact that they added cabins to the aft ends of the Vistas a few years after they were built, "squaring up" the profile. Deck 5 ended up with the biggest verandas. A marginal difference I'm sure, but thought you ought to know.

Thanks to the lovely ppl here I did know, and also that the ones on deck four have the window cleaning equipment parked on them, but the other good thing is our friends have 6177 the other aft wrap too! So if the view iis better on the other side we will just swap sides!

Congratulations! We love, love, love those corner afts! (But maybe we should all stop talking about them and reduce the competition)

My husband and I literally talked ourselves into a corner aft, 8162, two years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam, east Trans Atlantic. We did the same ship again this year, same cabin and our friends were in 8169, the other corner aft. They were first time cruisers and loved it. While onboard we both booked next year 29 days on the Zuiderdam 5190 & 5191. We absolutely love these corner aft cabins.

I do believe, no matter how much we talk them up, I think there will always be that group of people who will never venture to the AFT because of the idea that there is more movement. Let's just let them keep thinking that. :rolleyes:

See you on the Aft

We had aft wrap 8162 on the Eurodam in June on a Northern Europe cruise. It was a last minute very attractive upsell from standard verandah. I had a choice of several suites available and chose this knowing it was much further away from the Neptune Lounge.

We absolutely loved the expansive views and the peace and quiet of all of the space. Of the many perfect memories having the ship berthed in Stockholm with our balcony overlooking the city was my favorite. We didn't mind being further away from the Lounge, still went there a few times a day just more walking!

For those who have stayed in one of those Aft Wrap Staterooms, Now you know why I call them "My Penthouse!!!"

Love, Love, Love "MY PENTHOUSE AFT WRAP!!!" (Can't yell it loud enough:D:D)

And for those that prefer the suites closer to the Neptune Lounge or just plain do not have a wish to try one, or have tried and did not like it... THANK YOU for NOT booking one!! Means it is easier for one of us who do love them:D

Joanie

They asked me if I wanted to be notified of an upgrade as the Pinnacle Suites have not been booked and I said no thank you, I'm happy down the back :) I'm with you Joanie the Back Penthouse is the way to go. Sailing down the grand canal departing Venice about 4pm on a perfectly sunny day with our friends all with us on that big deck was such fun.

Agree with the aft-wrap comments. We were in 5191 in Jan, 2014 on a partial P Canal and loved the view. We had the opportunity to upsell to the Penthouse, but turned it down and are so glad we did.

We liked it so much that we booked it again this Dec!

Agree with the aft-wrap comments. We were in 5191 in Jan, 2014 on a partial P Canal and loved the view. We had the opportunity to upsell to the Penthouse, but turned it down and are so glad we did.

We liked it so much that we booked it again this Dec!

You must have been on the 11-day on the Z'dam before our 10-day as we were in 5191 Jan 2014 as well. Did you lose a sock? :) We looked at the 11-day, but I'm probably on a full-body-cavity search list from the 60s and 70s which would've made the stop in Cartegena problematic upon our return to FLL!

We booked it specifically to enjoy the canal. Now we'll never book anything but the aft wraps, as long as they're available.

You must have been on the 11-day on the Z'dam before our 10-day as we were in 5191 Jan 2014 as well. Did you lose a sock? :) We looked at the 11-day, but I'm probably on a full-body-cavity search list from the 60s and 70s which would've made the stop in Cartegena problematic upon our return to FLL!

We booked it specifically to enjoy the canal. Now we'll never book anything but the aft wraps, as long as they're available.

Yes, I was on the 11 day, but I messed up in my post and really we were in 5190 (port side). This Dec. we are in 5191 though! You did not miss much IMO by skipping Cartegena (next time I will stay onboard). The place is overrun with peddlers everywhere we went, plus getting back onboard was a real mess (about 30-40 minute wait in the hot sun).

When we did the partial canal transit, he had several couples we met onboard come over for a small party on the way back out in the afternoon. This worked out well as everyone saw most of the things they wanted to in the morning and then they could come to our cabin to see the lock operations up close on two sides. Being aft was great as it seemed that the locks were just a few feet behind the ship when they closed.

I hope I am not too off topic, as I know there is an entire thread on smoking, but I couldn't help but ask as 5190/5191 have been mentioned a lot in this thread.

Do you think the large overhang traps cigarette smoke more than a regular "side" balcony? We've had side balconies on decks 6 and 7, so I know what to expect on those. We are booked in 5190 on the Zuiderdam for 24 days next summer. I have a severe smoke allergy, so I'm not sure if I'm better or worse off on the aft wrap.

Thanks for your advice.

I hope I am not too off topic, as I know there is an entire thread on smoking, but I couldn't help but ask as 5190/5191 have been mentioned a lot in this thread.

Do you think the large overhang traps cigarette smoke more than a regular "side" balcony? We've had side balconies on decks 6 and 7, so I know what to expect on those. We are booked in 5190 on the Zuiderdam for 24 days next summer. I have a severe smoke allergy, so I'm not sure if I'm better or worse off on the aft wrap.

Thanks for your advice.

We never experienced a smoke issue in 5190 on an 11 day cruise. Also, the side balcony gets alot of wind when the ship is moving, so no issue there IMO.

Thanks for your advice.

Smoke shouldn't bean issue. Enjoy your aft wrap!

Smoke shouldn't bean issue. Enjoy your aft wrap!

A quote like "smoke shouldn't be an issue" is very accurate. Just because a person didn't experience smoke might mean there were no smokers aft.

Speaking from experience. NA cabin 8162, 2014, we had no smokers aft for 26 days. NA 8162, 2015, there was a cabin aft on the first 14 days on deck 6 center who did smoke. We would occasionally get a hint of smoke but not enough to chase us inside. It would really depend on speed and wind direction. If I had a smoke allergy, I don't believe it would have been anymore problematic than getting a smoker 10 cabins forward of you on a side veranda.

No matter where your cabin is, if you have a veranda, you will always be gambling on smokers being nearby. Being on the AFT doesn't mean you won't. It's a gamble we would take to be in an aft corner.

I am sitting here on our aft wrap 5190 on the Westerdam on a beautiful sunny day in Huatulco, Mexico. We love, love, LOVE this cabin. I'm sitting on one of the 9 chairs, recliners, and chaise longues that we have on our verandah. There's plenty of room out here for me, mom, my sister, and all our wet towels and bathing suits which we have spread out to dry.:)(Don't worry, we will put them all inside upon our departure from Bahia Santa Cruz where the Westerdam is docked.) We love the cabin and our cabin steward, Anton, so much that we are seriously considering booking it again before Anton's contract is up in June. :)