Rome Pre-Cruise

sd200044

Looking for info on how to handle Rome for a pre-cruise. My wife and I are taking a 7 day cruise out of Rome in August. We have both been to Rome before and Love it. We have done the major Tour things back in 2012 (Vatican City, Colosseum, Etc. - This time around we should have about a day and a half to explore. We will fly into Rome early morning and if memory serves me, the port is not close to Rome city center, so in a perfect world I would love to go from the Airport to Rome, and stay in a hotel near the action, and then find our way to the port the following day. Can anyone advise of their thoughts or experiences please. Looking for feedback and Ideas.

If you read down the board, you will see many threads on Rome. Yes, the airport, the city and the port are not really very close. So you will see threads about transport options, hotel options, and touring options.

All of these things relate to your budget and your mobility. Without knowing those things, hard to give you recommendations.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Looking for info on how to handle Rome for a pre-cruise. My wife and I are taking a 7 day cruise out of Rome in August. We have both been to Rome before and Love it. We have done the major Tour things back in 2012 (Vatican City, Colosseum, Etc. - This time around we should have about a day and a half to explore. We will fly into Rome early morning and if memory serves me, the port is not close to Rome city center, so in a perfect world I would love to go from the Airport to Rome, and stay in a hotel near the action, and then find our way to the port the following day. Can anyone advise of their thoughts or experiences please. Looking for feedback and Ideas.

Your plan is a very good one and pretty typical of what many do. As for getting from Rome to the port on departure day, that can be via privately arranged car (read other postings for various companies that you can contact for this service) or via the public train (with some walking or a bus in Civitavechia). Taxis to port from Rome are generally not cost effective. Depending on where you stay, your cruise line may offer a bus (for a charge) from Rome locations to the ship.

There is so much more to Rome than the Colosseum, the Vatican, etc. but it's nice to have time there when you don't feel compelled to dash from one "must see" site to another.

If you can manage your luggage it's relatively easy to travel by train from the airport into the city, and then from the city to the port at Civitavecchia. If you want an easier route you can also hire a car service to drive you to the port.