NCL onboard internet prices jumped 20-55%

Demonyte

Price of doing business always goes up. Giving raises to employees, cost of shipping products goes up because UPS or Fedex raises their shipping rates. Taxes increasing, price of paper/ink goes up to print invoices. There are so many things that can cause an increase of a product. Who knows maybe the company that supplies the Internet connection to NCL raised their prices? To me it's part of life that prices will increase we all just hope our income will increase with it too. Otherwise business will either cut costs or close down because people will not eithe let buy their products or services.

Yes, all of those things can impact the cost of something and they may be at work here. I have my doubts though (not that it matters short or long term, they could offer free internet and it would not be an inducement for me, so charging extra for it would not detract me).

Yes, that is a way to allocate a limited resource. The challenge then is how do you (efficiently) differentiate between those who really truly need it (business owner, sick family member back home) from those who just can't bear to be away from Facebook for more than an hour?

Could you imagine the complaints if NCL limited the internet packages. There would be those that would say they are discriminated against, because they didn't get on the ship in time to get a package and they really, really need it.

Yes, that is a way to allocate a limited resource. The challenge then is how do you (efficiently) differentiate between those who really truly need it (business owner, sick family member back home) from those who just can't bear to be away from Facebook for more than an hour?

Why would there need to be a need to differentiate who uses the service for what purpose?

Why do you assume that the people who understand how business works are happy? One can dislike the price increase yet still comprehend why it's normal business practice.

I agree, I don't think anyone wants to see a price increase for anything, but it happens everyday and we either continue to purchase the product or we don't. We have all the power, because we are the only one that can dole out our dollars.

Maybe NCL should have internet packages available for one to purchase when they book their cruise, thus protecting them in case of a price raise.

For people who have already booked, you might still be able to get the old price. I just looked at my upcoming Jade cruise in the NCL online system and I can purchase internet at the old rates. ($75 for 100 mins, $125 for 250, $19.99/day for unlimited)

Why would there need to be a need to differentiate who uses the service for what purpose?

See the above comments beginning with my speculative thought:

Alternate thought -- consider this. What if they're finding the usage it approaching capacity on the ships and expanding that capacity would be prohibitively expensive. How do you cut down the usage a bit? Raise the price. At least some people will use it less.

Edited by dd2355

For people who have already booked, you might still be able to get the old price. I just looked at my upcoming Jade cruise in the NCL online system and I can purchase internet at the old rates. ($75 for 100 mins, $125 for 250, $19.99/day for unlimited)

I'm glad that is working for your next cruise, it's not for mine so it appears to be hit and miss now.

I agree, I don't think anyone wants to see a price increase for anything, but it happens everyday and we either continue to purchase the product or we don't. We have all the power, because we are the only one that can dole out our dollars.

It's not A price increase, it's been price increases for everything. Yes everything, and the only thing that they've offered in return is a free meal in the Asian restaurants with decreased menu.

Perhaps it's time for another thread listing all of the changes since FDR took over?

I need to have access to the internet as I never can 100% vacation, so I accept my place in the captive audience. If I can't have internet, I can't cruise, so that one is easy. The rest they are already losing money from me as I won't pay for the new nickles and new dimes he wants.

Edit to add: Thank God the service onboard is better than the business practices of the land operations

Edited by SuiteCruiser

We are all captive on board on way or another (unless you don't spend any extra $$$ on board at all, in which case NCL and most other cruise lines would be more than happy to release you from captivity…)

People are not purchasing drinks and excursions and bingo cards and tanzanite-encrusted Invicta watches on board because they "can't survive" without them. Internet access is just another extra that some people are happy to pay for; it's NCL's business to figure out exactly how much. (And, as always, some other people will be happy to chime in with "I don't drink", "I don't gamble", "I am able to truly disconnect", etc. etc. etc.)

Yep. It seems like a "why do you care?" kind of thing. I don't regularly use the internet on a cruise*, but if you want/"need"/need to keep in touch, by all means.

*I did have to send an email on our last cruise because we were advised we'd be arriving to port late and we had a private excursion meeting us.

I am happy for NCL to read that there is such a loyal fanbase who does not care about price increases because the T&C allow it.

The problem and difference to other businesses is that there often is a long time between booking and actually sailing. If the cinema raises the price I can easily decide to not go there anymore. When I already booked the vacation, bought books for the destinations, travel arrangements, hotels and more I already invested money and can't just decide to not go on the cruise because the additional charges were increased. I just have to take it and pay for it or degrade my vacation experience.

If it is so easy and the right way to do business, why didn't it happen earlier? Might it have something to do with leadership and good business. That has been in the company earlier and left by now?

Thank goodness, my company pays for my work-issue Verizon wireless Iphone, so it not coming out of pocket nor do I need to buy minutes from NCL. As for personal T-Mobile cell, I keep it off til I get to port(s). So I have no dog in this fight - I'm extremely lucky in this situation.(Kinda surprised, no one hasn't mention Verizon or Sprint as the alternative to the satellite internet /texting /calls epecially for the Iphone/Ipad)

And to paraphrase the good advice others have said regarding increases, whether its NCL/another cruise line/resort/city/country - "Always prepare for the unexpected finacially, because anything can happen/change between the time you booked /planned, to when you have to head/sail/fly/ride over there - even if it was booked today and you're heading there tomorrow. And if you can't anticipate or have backup plans in place for unexpected things especially prices increases - You're not as well-seasoned or know-everything as you think you are."

Well, I'm out - I only responded because this poster claimed it was NCL loyalty that some people weren't posting when in reality, in my case, because my workplace pays for my company phone (No, I don't work for NCL - I work for a financial firm[emoji4] ). Plus, it kinda runs me the wrong way when someone says they didn't see this coming or didn't expect it to happen - No, sweetie, you ignore the warnings signs, and/or didn't think it would to you or soon and when it did happen, its all a big shock & now you don't know what to do.[emoji57] Whatever, I'm sure you'll figure something out and/or cough up the money....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

So NCL decided to do the opposite of Carnival. Carnival actually decreased the price and increased speed. http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/06/30/carnival-cruise-lines-wifi-internet-packages/29507351/

RCCL is advertising their Voom as fastest on sea and they offer unlimited two device package for less than NCL offers just one.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/15044962_Voom_Trade_Flyer.pdf

NCL is losing the game. Fast.

It's not A price increase, it's been price increases for everything. Yes everything, and the only thing that they've offered in return is a free meal in the Asian restaurants with decreased menu.

Perhaps it's time for another thread listing all of the changes since FDR took over?

I need to have access to the internet as I never can 100% vacation, so I accept my place in the captive audience. If I can't have internet, I can't cruise, so that one is easy. The rest they are already losing money from me as I won't pay for the new nickles and new dimes he wants.

Edit to add: Thank God the service onboard is better than the business practices of the land operations

I guess we have a difference of opinion.

The price raises, with the exception of the DSC, are for "choice" items. If one feels the price is too high, then they are not forced to purchase any of them. Everyone has to gauge their cruise experience expectations versus how much money they spend.

And yes, you are correct, you are a captive audience while out at sea and if you want to use the internet, you either pay the price or find another alternative. It is a smart business who knows when someone wants a product that only they sell, because they can price it as they like; NCL does it just like every other business does.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I guess we have a difference of opinion.

The price raises, with the exception of the DSC, are for "choice" items. If one feels the price is too high, then they are not forced to purchase any of them. Everyone has to gauge their cruise experience expectations versus how much money they spend.

And yes, you are correct, you are a captive audience while out at sea and if you want to use the internet, you either pay the price or find another alternative. It is a smart business who knows when someone wants a product that only they sell, because they can price it as they like; NCL does it just like every other business does.

The price increases are to fulfill Del Rio's vision of obtaining $4-5 more per day from each passenger and the overall design of the plan is to fulfill Del Rio's vision of moving NCL up on the cruise line food chain. Only time will tell how successful he will be.

The price increases are to fulfill Del Rio's vision of obtaining $4-5 more per day from each passenger and the overall design of the plan is to fulfill Del Rio's vision of moving NCL up on the cruise line food chain. Only time will tell how successful he will be.

He's wayyyy past the $5 pp per day bit.

And just think, if they just raised cruise fares $4-5 per day, they wouldn't have as many concerned/annoyed/frustrated/angry passengers to deal with.

He is not doing anything that any other CEO does not do and that is to increase revenue for their company. The best thing is that cruising is not a necessity and if they price one out, they don't have to cruise on that line or cruise at all, because there are a lot of other alternatives.

He is not doing anything that any other CEO does not do and that is to increase revenue for their company. The best thing is that cruising is not a necessity and if they price one out, they don't have to cruise on that line or cruise at all, because there are a lot of other alternatives.

Del Rio started off by insulting his loyal customers, and while he isn't the only CEO in history to have done that most try to avoid doing that. I suspect that he will be at least moderately successful in fulfilling his vision. At the end of the day all it means to me is that he's taken a cruise line that I really liked and turned it into one that I may or may not sail on again. Certainly not the end of the world for either NCL or me.

Del Rio started off by insulting his loyal customers, and while he isn't the only CEO in history to have done that most try to avoid doing that. I suspect that he will be at least moderately successful in fulfilling his vision. At the end of the day all it means to me is that he's taken a cruise line that I really liked and turned it into one that I may or may not sail on again. Certainly not the end of the world for either NCL or me.
Insulted them, why because he called them a captive audience. Not an insult to me, because I'm fully aware that when I'm on a ship, in an airport, etc., I'm a captive audience and I either pay the prices they set for what they sell or I don't. I'm captive, but smart enough to figure out if a product is worth the prices they are selling them for. If it is too high, I don't buy....I'm in control. With NCL, if the internet reaches a cost that I think is too high, I just won't use it on the ship and the same goes for all the other "choice" items.

I'm sure that NCL and Mr. Del Rio are business savvy enough to know that if some customers choose not to sail with them because of the recent changes, there are new ones out there ready to take their place and they probably have a good idea of the percentages on both.

RCCL is advertising their Voom as fastest on sea and they offer unlimited two device package for less than NCL offers just one.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/15044962_Voom_Trade_Flyer.pdf

NCL is losing the game. Fast.

That looks very impressive. Im about to embark on an MSC cruise in a month so i'll be interested to see how their prices and speed compare.

Insulted them, why because he called them a captive audience. Not an insult to me, because I'm fully aware that when I'm on a ship, in an airport, etc., I'm a captive audience and I either pay the prices they set for what they sell or I don't. I'm captive, but smart enough to figure out if a product is worth the prices they are selling them for. If it is too high, I don't buy....I'm in control. With NCL, if the internet reaches a cost that I think is too high, I just won't use it on the ship and the same goes for all the other "choice" items.

I'm sure that NCL and Mr. Del Rio are business savvy enough to know that if some customers choose not to sail with them because of the recent changes, there are new ones out there ready to take their place and they probably have a good idea of the percentages on both.

The second half of your comment won't be true for long. NCL worked very hard for many years to change public opinion, and that's all been tossed aside. Others have cheaper cabins to book and cheaper online services, they won't be lining up to pay overinflated prices once the dust settles. The promos are getting worse and worse, it's not going to sustain them. Already they're having to discount after final payment which FDR had said he wouldn't do.

Can't fill the ships otherwise, it's starting.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I am sure that your last paragraph is quite accurate. If you don't get that Del Rio has changed the "feel" of NCL you don't, but many will miss the old NCL, even if the new NCL proves a success. Just the way it is.

I would have to agree. Prices are inflated at airports, Walgreens, convince stores, amusement parks, shops right near the ports, on cruise ships, restaurants near tourist attractions. It's all a matter of it is worth it to you what you value that product or service to you. Sometimes when I am at an amusement park and my wife needs a drink j understand a Coke is going to be 2xs the amount I would pay somewhere else. Do I like to pay it? No. Do I have to pay it? Yes otherwise my wife would yell at me or I would have to hear her complain how thirsty she is and to me paying the higher cost is worth it and it makes her happy too.

But if your company has offered something at price $x for some time and your costs have remained stable would you all of a sudden raise your price to $y just because the customer would pay it?

Yes, that's always how things change. Your price is a certain amount for a certain point of time and eventually it goes up or down. If they would have sneakily lowered the price I don't think you would have been upset.

The second half of your comment won't be true for long. NCL worked very hard for many years to change public opinion, and that's all been tossed aside. Others have cheaper cabins to book and cheaper online services, they won't be lining up to pay overinflated prices once the dust settles. The promos are getting worse and worse, it's not going to sustain them. Already they're having to discount after final payment which FDR had said he wouldn't do.

Can't fill the ships otherwise, it's starting.

Time will tell. What you say might be true for some past customers, but don't think it will affect the new ones.

Celebrity also said they wouldn't discount after final payment, but they are doing it as well, because it is pretty much an industry standard.