NCL onboard internet prices jumped 20-55%

Demonyte

Since this thread has popped up again, it is worth mentioning that the 100 and 250 minute packages have gone back down to the previous pricing, $75 for 100 minutes and $125 for 250 minutes.

And the 250 minutes is available for "free" on some promotions.

Many of the mobile carriers consider USVI and San Juan as domestic. Meaning no international roaming is required. Check your roaming made to be sure.. I know ATT AND sprint include USVI as domestic but Verizon doesn't. But San Juan is domestic. Some if you can wait for those stops you will get free access. I believe this apples to only voice and text but not data.

This !!!

Coverage (full, limited/partial and no coverage - varies by carrier, and, whether it is postpaid or prepaid/no contract ... and, in the case of T-Mobile under its newest no contract, prepaid "Simple Choice North America" plan - with voice & data, throttled after x GB data are used up (capped/slowed down to 2G or Edge/128k speed) for the billing cycle.

Always checked with one's "home" carrier ahead of traveling to review availability ... in some instances, depending on the devices used (lastest firmware using iOS and Androids) - push APN or manual setting changes are needed, with or without a simple reboot/airplane mode cycle.

T-Mobile prepaid has home coverage on San Juan, PR including data but no coverage on USVI or other Caribbean islands, from our experiences. AT&T has free roaming coverage via its island partners, but not necessary data - especially users on every major US carrier have "grandfathered" old plans that might specifically exclude it - YMMV.

MNVO - resellers of monthly plans for T-Mo, AT&T, VZW & even Sprint towers have different rules on coverage, usually voice & SMS/text since those use narrow bandwidth, but not faster data with more bandwidth required ... for Simple Mobile, Straight Talk & Tracfone, etc. etc.

Euro passengers cruising might already have free incoming voice & texting even on the ships, in addition to various ports - depending on their home plan's coverage as EU is planning to eliminate all roaming charges in 2016, which is good news. Outgoing calls & data - while cruising, however, might continue to incur charges for those on Euro plans.

One of the best & newest innovation is Project "Fi" by Google - integrated into Google Voice & works great with Hangouts - it is restricted to devices with specific hardwares that switch transparently among carriers to maintain services - Sprint & T-Mobile for domestic; and, at $20 per month for unlimited voice & texting, plus taxes & fees, and data is $10 per GB actually used (unused data is refunded as credit for next month's offset on the billing statement) - it will use WiFi data for calling over secured VPN - available in specific zip codes with coverage, and, by invitations only (requested via Google) The best part - you pay the same rates & nothing extra in 120 countries (sorry, no cruise ship coverage ... once you hit Nassau, Royal Dockyard, St. Marteen, etc. - you are "home" again so 1GB of data is just $10 USD :D :p :) ) - using one of the 3 devices - Nexus 6, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X. Frequent fliers/business travelers going abroad and falling in love with this - the data is unthrottled so full 4G/LTE or at least HSPA+/3G or better. (No iPhones or Samsungs, HTC's or LG's, etc. as it required an unique Qualcomm chipset and specially activated Sim card)

For more specifics, "Google" Project Fi for details - full disclosures: nieces work for Alphabet, the rebranded new global conglomerate in CA.

We are currently on second week of our B2B cruise and unfortunately I have to report that T-mobile only has very slow 2G network in St Thomas - easier to get off the ship and find free Wi-Fi than trying to use T-mobile's data there.

In San Juan they have proper coverage and decent speeds (we again used one prepaid $10 data package yesterday during our turnaround day while staying onboard the ship in San Juan port).

Can you imagine someone getting off the ship and instead of seeing the beautiful island they're searching for Wi-Fi lmao

Personally, we don't want to spend time ashore dealing with free wifi. Or the international data rate plans from our mobile service provider. We just pay for the ship's wifi.

But, if you do want free wifi ashore, the port shopping expert can also point you to some of the ship-sponsored jewelry stores that offer free wifi (and maybe a free adult beverage). A little more upscale than sitting on the sidewalk outside a convenience store facetiming with the crew.

Can you imagine someone getting off the ship and instead of seeing the beautiful island they're searching for Wi-Fi lmao

No different than someone getting off the ship and instead of seeing the beautiful island they're sitting their ass on a bar stool at the closest bar drinking the entire day.

See, now this I can see you doing! LOL However, I might be wrong. :D

Some people, which you won't understand until you have a family one day yourself......do have huge responsibilities that they just can't 'put on hold for a cruise' and need to check up on elderly parents, young children, pets, even work.

Harriet

Thanks for the heads up! I'm sailing on October 16th, and will need to check emails daily (I run a small business at home). Not particularly happy about the price increase, but as there is nothing I can do about it, I'll just have to deal.

FDR just finished reading this thread after reply #1 I guess. ;)