Talk me into/out of Guaranteed Balcony upgrade!

MastaBlasta

You got lucky and that is the best location. I am booked on the Getaway for Thanksgiving and after hours of research booked a "secret" large balcony on deck 8 for the price of an interior! Granted it was 9 months out, but it was well worth it. I am dying to go on our cruise!

Have a great trip!

Similar dilemma here, we're booked into a BA (Jade), prices have dropped after FP so now Minisuite MX is only $30pp higher, MA $100pp higher, but I'm wondering about noise from deck 12 above. Bigger cabins and slightly larger balcony tho' ...........

Edited by pspercy

Similar dilemma here, we're booked into a BA (Jade), prices have dropped after FP so now Minisuite MX is only $30pp higher, MA $100pp higher, but I'm wondering about noise from deck 12 above. Bigger cabins and slightly larger balcony tho' ...........

Depends on the location. You have an entire area which is under the card room, library, spa, sauna etc. Those are rather quiet.

Under the pool area, garden cafe etc you have to worry about chair movements in the morning when they set everything up.

I wouldn't go with GTY mini-suite, but would consider MB mini-suite under the Italian restaurant dining area if one is available - IMO those are the best mini-suites onboard.

See my post from August here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47513902&postcount=2

I've also been in a MA mini-suite 11534 on Jewel under the sun deck and never again - back then they had steel drum band sometimes playing until 10pm or 11pm and it could be heard crystal clear in the cabin. Also the cleaning of sun deck (dragging furniture) at wee hours wasn't that enjoyable.

MA minisuites 11100 and 11104 on Pearl were under the Garden Café dining area and it was fine except for the overhang above.

Edited by Demonyte

All we need is for the weather to work out, there appears to be a system that's going to storm on us while docked. Of course, the worst of it is predicted to be on the 2 days I prepaid for a moped (Tues+Wed) and we've NEVER seen open sun in Bermuda on 2 trips so far! A Tropical storm made us leave a full day early last time and we were really bummed...my wife especially, who absolutely lives for tropical beaches.

Hopefully the forecast will change as we've got about a week to go till we're there.

Edited by MastaBlasta

Drum roll please............

BB Balcony Room 8762! Mid-Ship!

All things considered, for $100 I'm VERY pleased.

Our room is 10 spots down from where this picture was taken: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1iAuscDziEXlBJpzXT8eDPwMSLYp6wjaH02-FSxCCPSU/pub?start=true&loop=true&delayms=5000&slide=id.ge0d8fe37_2_9

We're basically looking out over that crane, not much going on the deck below us either. We're used to Wildwood motels and the like so we're not snobby about people being about to look at us, which probably won't be much.

The location is central to just about everything - it's nice knowing the room is never going to feel like a mile away.

We could've been screwed being placed near the Waterfront but luck was on my side for once.

This feels like a big win, especially since this room typically hovers around $1100/pp!

This is a big boost of excitement as we're just 5 days away!

Congrats! In terms or room space alone I think you made out well. Enjoy your cruise!

PS. We paid $400 for an IX to BX upgrade and felt we got a great deal as well.

All we need is for the weather to work out, there appears to be a system that's going to storm on us while docked. Of course, the worst of it is predicted to be on the 2 days I prepaid for a moped (Tues+Wed) and we've NEVER seen open sun in Bermuda on 2 trips so far! A Tropical storm made us leave a full day early last time and we were really bummed...my wife especially, who absolutely lives for tropical beaches.

Hopefully the forecast will change as we've got about a week to go till we're there.

The one thing I count on with the weather is its unpredictability. Bad weather on vacation still beats good weather at home for me.

When I sailed to Bermuda for my birthday in 2013, I gave myself a present of an upgrade to a balcony guarantee from a studio for $300. It was the best decision I made (along with getting a spa pass), since they put me in a family mini-suite!

Spoke with TA - tried to get a room upgrade since prices fell on our Breakaway cruise to Bermuda next week.

We currently have a mid-ship interior room deck 11 and they offered us a guaranteed balcony for $100 more. (BX)

I'm aware of the 4 BX rooms and the potential for obstructed views but has anyone rolled the dice and made it out ok?

We always sail mid-ship, interior so this would be a first if we get a forward outside room. We're not particularly sensitive to motion but I'm sure I'd regret it if we get caught in rough seas.

I hate going against my gut but the upgrade is substantial for $100.

Thoughts?

Are you saying a $100 period or per person? Either way it is probably worth the gamble if you are a gambler. We took a guaranteed on our cruise comin up in about 10 days. We were not 100% satisfied with what we got, but it was a great price. Our agent did call and request a cabin a little closer to front as we do have some walking challenges. We did get a slightly better cabin, but either way we were happy. It is simply a matter of what you can live with and not be miserable. For me, an obstructed view is much better than an inside cabin. For some it would not be worth the $100.00

Are you saying a $100 period or per person? Either way it is probably worth the gamble if you are a gambler. We took a guaranteed on our cruise comin up in about 10 days. We were not 100% satisfied with what we got, but it was a great price. Our agent did call and request a cabin a little closer to front as we do have some walking challenges. We did get a slightly better cabin, but either way we were happy. It is simply a matter of what you can live with and not be miserable. For me, an obstructed view is much better than an inside cabin. For some it would not be worth the $100.00

$50/pp so an extra $100 all together to go from IC to BB or "19 tiers" if you will. No view obstructions. If you search in this thread I posted our room number and a picture of where we are. Massive upgrade.

Spoke with TA - tried to get a room upgrade since prices fell on our Breakaway cruise to Bermuda next week.

We currently have a mid-ship interior room deck 11 and they offered us a guaranteed balcony for $100 more. (BX)

I'm aware of the 4 BX rooms and the potential for obstructed views but has anyone rolled the dice and made it out ok?

We always sail mid-ship, interior so this would be a first if we get a forward outside room. We're not particularly sensitive to motion but I'm sure I'd regret it if we get caught in rough seas.

I hate going against my gut but the upgrade is substantial for $100.

Thoughts?

Definitely take the BX!!! You may get a forward cabin, and even in rough seas, it will be worth it to have the upgrade. Honestly, if the sea is really rough in the Atlantic ( and it often is) you will feel the motion anywhere on the ship. Buy some dramamine and take the gamble on the balcony.