How do I get DH past the worry?

Warm Breezes

I have been trying to put together a family trip with our 2 kids (18 and 21) for the last 2 years but the timing has never worked for us as a family. A couple months ago I finally got a time next May that may work for all of us again and I started researching which cruise we would like to take. Our family loves cruising we've taken 10 as a family and DH and I have taken 3 more as a couple.

6 weeks ago I was sent by my doctor to ER with stroke symptoms. I am only 49. They found out I had a Dissected Carotid Artery causing a 90% blockage and 2 mini-strokes. I was in the hospital for a week and put on blood thinners. I had a lot of dizziness once home so they have been busy adjusting blood pressure meds and monitoring my heart rate since I had a peripartum cardiomyopathy when DD was born 18 years ago and they don't want to put extra stress on my heart. I am feeling good now and am hoping the doctor will allow me to go back to work at least part time when I see her tomorrow. They are hoping my Artery will heal itself and I will need to go back for more CT scans in a couple of months. My doctor hopes to have me off the blood thinners within 6 months.

DH has been a wonderful support for me. This is the second time I put him through a life threatening scare and I know he worries. I started doing more researching on our May cruise since I will hopefully be well by then....plus we always purchase insurance with pre-existing condition clauses. The problem is DH has expressed concern about me getting sick while we are at sea and he is starting to have second thoughts about cruising at all. I just can't see giving cruising up since we all love it and I don't want to live our lives base on what could happen. I'm hoping I can get the doctor to give him some reassurances. Does anyone else have any suggestions in helping him get over this fear?

I was wondering if a cruise from San Juan with no sea days if possible would make your DH calmer.

Like others the ok from your doctor, clear instructions as to activities to stay away from like zip-lining or the Jamaican bob-sled track;), and very good medical insurance that will cover this pre-existing condition all would be things that you must have IMO to go on the cruise.

I really hope that it works out for you and DH because after what you both have been through I am sure that you could really use a vacation.:)

I'm not sure that is so comforting to have a Caribbean port each day. Some of the medical care available in the Caribbean is not what we experience in U.S//Canada. Just getting to a hospital in most of the islands is less than magical in case of severe situations.

Edited by sail7seas

I understand your husbands concerns.I think one concern here is the status of the ships healthcare or lack of. Recently back from long cruise on Oceania with a cabinmate with several health problems. First she forgot her meds at home. She goes down to Dr .He could not or would not redo her perscription. Then another problem which as i saw it was from a botched ortho operation. No help there. She finally went to Honolulu hospital and got Xrayed. Just a heads up. Do not expect any serious medical help onboard. If you do go really good dinsurance, not from cruise line,with medical evacuation is manditory. Your life is at stake.

Edited by zoncom

Dissected carotic artery is serious and can reoccur. I would never book a cruise or fly before fully recovered. I very much doubt if any insurance company is going to give an insurance as things now are. Im sure there will be time to cruise in the future, just dont hurry things.

I'm not sure that is so comforting to have a Caribbean port each day. Some of the medical care available in the Caribbean is not what we experience in U.S//Canada. Just getting to a hospital in most of the islands is less than magical in case of severe situations.

You would have choices if you had an island each day. Stay on board and be treated by the medical staff on board or visit an island hospital. Also if you needed to fly back to the states for treatment it would be easier if you were on an island to make these arrangements compared to being on the sea. There was a recent thread about how helicoptors only had about 150 mile range due to fuel limitations. The thread I am referring to was about a very premature birth on board a sailing from Miami and how the captain sailed as fast as he could and got the baby to San Juan in 12 hrs because a helicopter was not a possibility due to the location of the ship.

Edited by Karysa

You would have choices if you had an island each day. Stay on board and be treated by the medical staff on board or visit an island hospital. Also if you needed to fly back to the states for treatment it would be easier if you were on an island to make these arrangements compared to being on the sea. There was a recent thread about how helicoptors only had about 150 mile range due to fuel limitations. The thread I am referring to was about a very premature birth on board a sailing from Miami and how the captain sailed as fast as he could and got the baby to San Juan in 12 hrs because a helicopter was not a possibility due to the location of the ship.

Actually, the patient has little choice as to whether they will be evacuated or not. If they wish to remain aboard and have shipboard medical staff treat them, the doctor will/can overrule. (S)he has last word over the Captain IF it is safe and nautically reasonable to get them airlifted or brought to a port. It is very rare a Captain would not do as doctor recommends if it is safe and possible to do so. A cruise ship can sail without a Captain but not without a doctor.

While the best care possible is certainly rendered, the ship is very concerned about having the 'problem' handled elsewhere. Lots of paperwork if a guest/crew person dies aboard.

I am sure there will be disagreement as to this, as well. :D :D

Edited by sail7seas

I recall that thread.

Do you actually know much about the quality of care in many (most ?) of the Caribbean islands as compared to U.S./Canada/most of Europe? :eek:

One can usually find a scant few exceptions to everything if they are determined enough to do so.

Edited by sail7seas

I recall that thread.

Do you actually know much about the quality of care in many (most ?) of the Caribbean islands as compared to U.S./Canada/most of Europe? :eek:

One can usually find a scant few exceptions to everything if they are determined enough to do so.

Of course some islands have better health care than others. Personally I would choose hospitals in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Barbados as well as others compared to the ship or being 12 plus hours from an island such as San Juan. On top of the medical care one could also fly home from an island. I'm looking at the whole picture here.:)

The patient could not necessary, 'also fly home'. I'm sure there are unstable guests who were ill enough to be evacuated from the ship and that whole picture could well include someone too ill to fly. The whole picture in such circumstances is for sure a 'pretty picture'.

I wish all good health and no need to visit medical facilities most anywhere in the Caribbean.

Go to MedJetAssist.com and read about the medical evacuation policies they offer.

Edited by sail7seas

The patient could not necessary, 'also fly home'. I'm sure there are unstable guests who were ill enough to be evacuated from the ship and that whole picture could well include someone too ill to fly. The whole picture in such circumstances is for sure a 'pretty picture'.

I wish all good health and no need to visit medical facilities most anywhere in the Caribbean.

Go to MedJetAssist.com and read about the medical evacuation policies they offer.

Sorry you are rambling to me.

I have been trying to put together a family trip with our 2 kids (18 and 21) for the last 2 years but the timing has never worked for us as a family. A couple months ago I finally got a time next May that may work for all of us again and I started researching which cruise we would like to take. Our family loves cruising we've taken 10 as a family and DH and I have taken 3 more as a couple.

6 weeks ago I was sent by my doctor to ER with stroke symptoms. I am only 49. They found out I had a Dissected Carotid Artery causing a 90% blockage and 2 mini-strokes. I was in the hospital for a week and put on blood thinners. I had a lot of dizziness once home so they have been busy adjusting blood pressure meds and monitoring my heart rate since I had a peripartum cardiomyopathy when DD was born 18 years ago and they don't want to put extra stress on my heart. I am feeling good now and am hoping the doctor will allow me to go back to work at least part time when I see her tomorrow. They are hoping my Artery will heal itself and I will need to go back for more CT scans in a couple of months. My doctor hopes to have me off the blood thinners within 6 months.

DH has been a wonderful support for me. This is the second time I put him through a life threatening scare and I know he worries. I started doing more researching on our May cruise since I will hopefully be well by then....plus we always purchase insurance with pre-existing condition clauses. The problem is DH has expressed concern about me getting sick while we are at sea and he is starting to have second thoughts about cruising at all. I just can't see giving cruising up since we all love it and I don't want to live our lives base on what could happen. I'm hoping I can get the doctor to give him some reassurances. Does anyone else have any suggestions in helping him get over this fear?

On our last cruise from San Francisco to Mexico we were anchored for some time at Santa Barbara - and this stop was unscheduled. Somebody got so sick, they had to take the person off the ship. So you will have specialized help, if needed.

I can't remember a cruise when there wasn't someone leaving the ship because of accident or illness. It is very common same as in any community. You put 2,500 or 3,000 people (some ships carry far more guests and crew), and there will be those who have to leave either when docking in a scheduled port or evacuated at sea.

Time and again, we have seen an ambulance meet the ship and someone is taken from the ship.

I had a stroke 3 years ago and am on blood pressure meds and pradaxa due to atrial fibrillation and the dr. Has already said I will be on meds for the rest of my life. I went on an Alaskan cruise last year and am planning a Mexican Riviera cruise in December. I've had no issues and it really hasn't been a concern. I do buy insurance just in case. I say book your cruise and go if you feel good....life is too short.

I can't remember a cruise when there wasn't someone leaving the ship because of accident or illness. It is very common same as in any community. You put 2,500 or 3,000 people (some ships carry far more guests and crew), and there will be those who have to leave either when docking in a scheduled port or evacuated at sea.

Time and again, we have seen an ambulance meet the ship and someone is taken from the ship.

That's all part of the HAL experience. ;)

That's true. I forgot on my Alaska cruise last year there was a respiratory thing going around. My husband spent 3 days confined to our cabin and our last day in port while looking out of our balcony, I saw 3 ambulances taking people away.

That's all part of the HAL experience. ;)

And all those Princess cruises we sailed, Celebrity cruises, RCI, Carnival (sort of), NCL....... Assumptions are never a great idea. :)

Do you mind my asking what is your favorite cruise line? Have you sailed it a lot?

Sail - you have to excuse her, she gets that way.

:D :D LOL, seems so.

Edited by sail7seas