Star Wars Premiere?

HappyPig

Very similar set up on our Magic cruise. First seating shows on Thursday at 7ish (all shows were in both theaters and choice of 2d or 3d), and 2nd seating at 10ish. They gave out tix at 8am on Monday IIRC--LOOONG line, started early. We had to have the tix for the 10:15 show, and they said it was "sold out" , but there were still empty seats. I think some opted to see the 3d at 10pm instead. Then 2 other showings, at 12:45am and 5:15am. This was the last night of the cruise.

My plan was to get up early and see it a second time at 5:15, but my kids loved it so much, we marched over to the WD Theater to see it a 2nd time in 3D at the 12:45. We ended up back in the room around 3am, I fell asleep at 4am, and woke up at 7 and couldn't get back to sleep. Breakfast at 8:15, then off the ship😩

The crew told us they were going to get to see it on the 20th. BUT, when we went to the 12:45 showing it was nearly empty ACCEPT for a bunch of the entertainment cast members, who we recognized from the shows. Either they don't have to be up at the crack of dawn like the rest of the crew, or they are all young enough to operate on no sleep! By the way Tangled and the newly tweaked Dreams were FANTASTIC!

Oh, and I spent over $500 on DCL/SW merchandise. 😱 A large chunk of that was the new D&B Star Wars purse. I went a little crazy, but I used gift cards I got discounted at Target or Disney reward dollars for most of it. They had so many awesome things, I could have easily spent another $500!! Plus, this was our first "gold" cruise, and I loved getting 10% off!

Hi all, just got off the fantasy this morning. The Force Awakens was premiered on Thursday at 10 PM in both theaters and again on Friday at 1 AM in both theaters. We were given a form on the first evening to complete with our preferences because tickets were issued for these four showings.

I went down into the lobby around 9 PM on Thursday and there was a long line already formed past the gift shop waiting to enter the Walt Disney theater. They also showed the movie multiple times yesterday throughout the day and evening (castaway cay day).

It was fun to see all the buzz prior to the showings – they put out Star Wars merchandise in a section of the gift shop and a large portion of the guests were wearing the inaugural t-shirts. Lots of toys too. And a bunch of Star Wars popcorn buckets and cups with straws that people were scrambling to buy.

It added a fun twist to an already-fun Holiday cruise. :)

ETA They also showed the return of the Jedi on (I think) Wednesday evening late.

Edited by Lovedisneycruise

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, it was sweet. I was also on the Fantasy.

We got a form asking us to pick which showing we wanted. It was either a 2D or 3D at 7pm or the same at 1am. Somehow, they ended up cancelling at least one of the 1am showings and moved it to 10pm. Essentially, it took the place of the evening "show". It was a lotto as to what showing you got. Tickets showed up in your stateroom.

We had the 7pm 3D showing.

Like a ton of people, we all got Star Wars shirts. Totally forgot it was formal night, and rushed through the dinner, even though it was Capt.'s Gala with the giant lobsters.

Still, it was great fun! People were cheering, booing, etc. It was like a Frozen sing-a-long filled with fans. Couldn't resist and got a BB8 mug and a Boba Fett mug. DD wanted the Tie Fighter popcorn thing, but it looked too big to carry home. Man, we came back with a ton of Star Wars DCL gear.

We were on the Fantasy on the Dec 19 to 26th cruise. They did not show Star Wars until Tuesday, Dec. 22 which was also our first port day as well as pirate night. We guessed this was to cut down the demand for people seeing the movie and overflowing the WDT. There were no tickets and the first showing was at 8:00 pm. I was there about 7:05 pm and was near the front of the line (third or fourth person). It was in 3D. The theater was full but not crazy. We got out of the movie just in time to see the fireworks.

The movie was shown another 4 or 5 times over the rest of the cruise. It was definitely not being shown continuously. I took my son the next day to a showing in the BVT. This was not supposed to be 3D. They still showed it in 3D, whether deliberately or a screw-up was not sure. A bunch of people rushed out of the theater at the start and returned with the 3D glasses for everyone in BVT.

To be honest, I was surprised at the relatively small number of showings of the movie and I expected it to be shown on Dec 19th (midnight maybe) or the next day. As I said, we had two sea days for the first two full days and it was not shown at all then. Now that the movie has been out for a few weeks, it may be shown earlier in the cruise than it was for us.

Hope this helps.

When were you given a form for the Tickets to see Star Wars? We are jumping on The Fantasy on Jan. 16th. I read the merchandise for Star Wars is all over the place and at a hefty price.

My guess is the form for Tickets is just for that one PremEar cruise as it took the place of one "main" evening show you see before/after dinner. They didn't "announce" that Star Wars would be playing for sure until the night they gave out those forms. I wanna say it was the first night of the cruise, but it might have been the 2nd. Form showed up in Stateroom with turndown service, the next Navigator, etc.

The Star Wars merchandise wasn't any more expensive than the other cruise merchandise. T-shirt is $20-30. Typically $30. The limited edition pin was $15. The mugs were around $8-9. Ornaments were $20-30. Hat was around $25.

From what I recall, the non-Star Wars shirts and stuff were the same price roughly. I bought a Mickey tie (real subtle hidden Mickeys in it) and it was $45. There were two Star Wars ties that were the same price (but I couldn't quite figure out the Star Wars "logo" in there so I didn't get it).

Edited by codex57

We were on the Fantasy on the Dec 19 to 26th cruise. They did not show Star Wars until Tuesday, Dec. 22 which was also our first port day as well as pirate night. We guessed this was to cut down the demand for people seeing the movie and overflowing the WDT. There were no tickets and the first showing was at 8:00 pm. I was there about 7:05 pm and was near the front of the line (third or fourth person). It was in 3D. The theater was full but not crazy. We got out of the movie just in time to see the fireworks.

The movie was shown another 4 or 5 times over the rest of the cruise. It was definitely not being shown continuously. I took my son the next day to a showing in the BVT. This was not supposed to be 3D. They still showed it in 3D, whether deliberately or a screw-up was not sure. A bunch of people rushed out of the theater at the start and returned with the 3D glasses for everyone in BVT.

To be honest, I was surprised at the relatively small number of showings of the movie and I expected it to be shown on Dec 19th (midnight maybe) or the next day. As I said, we had two sea days for the first two full days and it was not shown at all then. Now that the movie has been out for a few weeks, it may be shown earlier in the cruise than it was for us.

Hope this helps.

The thing here is that you were not on the ship on the US release date of December 18. Thus, I'm not surprised that you had no midnight PremEar at Sea. I'm also surprised that it was not shown until the 22nd, but 5-6 showings on a 7 night cruise seems about right.

On the cruise before yours, there was a PremEar at Sea at midnight 12/18 (when it was turning from 12/17 to 12/18). This was the same as many shoreside theatres.

My guess is the form for Tickets is just for that one PremEar cruise as it took the place of one "main" evening show you see before/after dinner. They didn't "announce" that Star Wars would be playing for sure until the night they gave out those forms. I wanna say it was the first night of the cruise, but it might have been the 2nd. Form showed up in Stateroom with turndown service, the next Navigator, etc.

The Star Wars merchandise wasn't any more expensive than the other cruise merchandise. T-shirt is $20-30. Typically $30. The limited edition pin was $15. The mugs were around $8-9. Ornaments were $20-30. Hat was around $25.

From what I recall, the non-Star Wars shirts and stuff were the same price roughly. I bought a Mickey tie (real subtle hidden Mickeys in it) and it was $45. There were two Star Wars ties that were the same price (but I couldn't quite figure out the Star Wars "logo" in there so I didn't get it).

Thanks for the Info. My family is going to go nuts with the merchandise. Good thing I'm packing less :D

The thing here is that you were not on the ship on the US release date of December 18. Thus' date=' I'm not surprised that you had no midnight PremEar at Sea. I'm also surprised that it was not shown until the 22nd, but 5-6 showings on a 7 night cruise seems about right.

On the cruise before yours, there was a PremEar at Sea at midnight 12/18 (when it was turning from 12/17 to 12/18). This was the same as many shoreside theatres.[/quote']

My comments were not meant as a complaint, in case they were accidentally taken that way. :) Rather, someone who is taking a cruise in early January was wondering if they would need tickets like those folks who were on a cruise on Dec. 18th. I was just trying to explain that when we went the next week, it was no longer a ticketed movie or event.

Hope folks had a great New Years.

Jerry

Am I the only nerd who looks at what movies Disney is releasing before I determine a cruise date? lol. I would love to see Star Wars onboard but it looks like my next Disney cruise will be closer to Pete's Dragon release.

Am I the only nerd who looks at what movies Disney is releasing before I determine a cruise date? lol. I would love to see Star Wars onboard but it looks like my next Disney cruise will be closer to Pete's Dragon release.

Movies tend to stick around on the ships a lot longer than on land, especially on the longer cruises. How long they last is determined by a combination of attendance and what newer releases are available. My guess is that Star Wars will be around for quite a while.

No, I would not expect tickets to be needed beyond the premEar showing. Obviously those are for crowd control. I was on the ship when Avengers was released--after that situation, they instituted the PremEar tickets for blockbuster releases. We had a line that stretched past the gift shops for the WDT, and when it was obvious that a LOT of people wouldn't be getting in they announced a simultaneous showing in the BVT. The next day my daughter saw it again with a decently filled theatre, but not at the level of "full."

If it helps, Ant Man was being shown in the BVT during our cruise last week to give you an idea of how long some movies long since out of theater on land will still be shown at sea. We also saw the Good Dinosaur in WDT during our cruise. Inside Out was also showing but can't remember if it was in BVT or on Funnel Vision as I didn't care to see it again.

Thanks for the Info. My family is going to go nuts with the merchandise. Good thing I'm packing less :D

We should have brought an extra suitcase. We ended up using the tote bag you get as a Castaway Club member to help hold some stuff, and we REALLY stretched our 3 suitcases to the limits. We were easily within the 50 lb weight limit for all of them, but they all were up near the limit when we went home. One even was over by .5 lbs but the desk agent was nice and let us go without charging extra or making us move stuff around.

And Inside Out, Cinderella, and Ant Man were still in the rotation for movies in the theater. Those are all quite old IIRC. Good Dinosaur is pretty new though, and pretty decent actually. I didn't pay attention to what was on Funnel Vision, but when I glanced up, the stuff was REALLY old. Like Robin Hood, and one of the Toy Story movies.

Edited by codex57