Request to Captain???

smrtypnts

This is a question I've never seen addressed.

I was wondering how tacky it would be to send a note to the Captain requesting dinner with him? I know this privilege is generally reserved for C&A Diamond members and people staying in the Grand and Family suites. The reason I was thinking that maybe I should enjoy this privilege also is because I've put together an extended family trip, but was only able to book 7 cabins. Becuase of this I have been given no benefits whatsoever. Now, don't get me wrong, I know they have their limits and rules and if they give me (as an example) a bottle of champaigne (since they wouldn't give me one free passenger) then they'd have to give everyone who books 7 cabins a free bottle of champaigne. I didn't and I won't ask for anything "extra" as I know that the rules are the rules. However, would sending the Captain a note requesting dinner with him be too rude and obnoxious? What about maybe asking my TA to do it for us? I don't want the entire extended family to have dinner with him, just my family of 4.

Please don't berate me, I just want your opinions.:rolleyes:

I was wondering how tacky it would be to send a note to the Captain requesting dinner with him? I know this privilege is generally reserved for C&A Diamond members and people staying in the Grand and Family suites. The reason I was thinking that maybe I should enjoy this privilege also is because I've put together an extended family trip, but was only able to book 7 cabins. Becuase of this I have been given no benefits whatsoever. Now, don't get me wrong, I know they have their limits and rules and if they give me (as an example) a bottle of champaigne (since they wouldn't give me one free passenger) then they'd have to give everyone who books 7 cabins a free bottle of champaigne. I didn't and I won't ask for anything "extra" as I know that the rules are the rules. However, would sending the Captain a note requesting dinner with him be too rude and obnoxious? What about maybe asking my TA to do it for us? I don't want the entire extended family to have dinner with him, just my family of 4.

Although I've never done it (no desire), I've heard of people writing letters to the Cruise Director prior to their cruise to request a seating with the captain. Many cases, they will accomodate if possible but no guarantee as, like you stated, diamond status and vip guests will always take priority but doesn't hurt to try.

Although I've never done it (no desire), I've heard of people writing letters to the Cruise Director prior to their cruise to request a seating with the captain. Many cases, they will accomodate if possible but no guarantee as, like you stated, diamond status and vip guests will always take priority but doesn't hurt to try.

Writing the cruise director! That's a good idea. How far in advance do you think would be "appropriate"?

Actually, I would direct a letter to the Guest Relations Manager or social hostess. Create the letter before you board, then on the day of embarkation, ask to speak directly with the Guest Relations Manager or social hostess. Include in your letter the number of times that you have sailed on RCCL, or if this is your first time, that's OK too.

What the staff looks for in putting together the Captians table, are people that are outgoing, have done something unique, Diamond Plus members, VIP's and that sort of thing. Please remember that for the most part the Captain might (if he is lucky) know one couple at his table at the most, and so everyone is new to the Captain and to everyone else at his table.

Rick

Unless you have an incredible "in" with the ship and people aboard, that is pretty much impossible. Any letters must go to the cruise agency at the port of embarkation. RCCL will not give you names of officers or crew members, so you are still addressing a title, not a name. You are fine just finding the Hostess or Guest Relations Manager on the day of embarkation. You will have a chance to talk to that member in person, which is the first way to leave an impression. The staff will not have even started a list for the table till the next day. I tell you this from my own experience. I don't know the length of your trip, on some of the longer ones, there is two captains dinners, so if you don't make it to the first one, maybe the second.

Rick

I don't know why people want to sit with the Captain. If I sat at the Captains table I would have to be on my best behavior. I wouldn't be able to slurp my soup out of the bowl and I would have to use a fork instead of holding my filet mignon in my hand. They probably wouldn't let me wear my Speedo's either.....:rolleyes:

I don't know why people want to sit with the Captain. If I sat at the Captains table I would have to be on my best behavior. I wouldn't be able to slurp my soup out of the bowl and I would have to use a fork instead of holding my filet mignon in my hand. They probably wouldn't let me wear my Speedo's either.....:rolleyes:

Actually, it's quite fun and quite a treat! We were able to do it once onboard the Carnival Imagination - everyone was quite hospitable.

Talk to your TA and have your TA fax or call their sales rep with RCCL - the sales rep is the one that can have the pull to pur the request in. Usually you have to say what is "special" about you that you should be able to sit at the Captain's table - for instance, you have sailed with RCCL x number of time or it's your 25th wedding anniversary - try to stand out in your request and anything is possible.

Speedo-did someone say speedo??? If you like discussions of speedos, you need to come on over and check out the thread called Pet Peeve of the Sea-

It's all about speedos, and other attractive things that people say/do/wear on cruises-

We've sat with the captain twice.....we thought after the first time it wasn't what we expected, but tried it a second time, and it wasn't what we expected then either. It was interesting, don't get me wrong, but I've had much more enjoyable times sitting with my 'regular' tablemates - much more relaxing. Although there were many interesting stories around the table, I heard interesting stories around our regular table too. It just seemed 'stuffy' to me....didn't really see the opportunity (nor would I have done it) to order seconds (just didn't seem 'proper'). This is just my opinion - most seem to enjoy it. I'm just saying don't be terribly disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Michele

The maitre d's are the ones who generally make the selection for the captain's table. Head waiters may relay names of diners to the maitre d' for consideration. The Chief Purser, or head of guest relations, also may make suggestions. Your C&A status has very little to do with it. We were invited to dine with Captain Tor Olsen on only our second RCI cruise. On the second night of that cruise on VOS our head waiter asked if we would like him to suggest us for dining with the captain. On our recent b2b on NOS we were invited to Captain Rick Sullivan's table the first week of the cruise because the Chief Purser knew us from a previous NOS cruise when she helped us with a small problem. One of the couples at the table was on thier first cruise with RCI. So, never hurts to ask. No need to mail a letter. Write it out leaving the title blank, then find out either the Chief Purser's or Maitre d's name and address it to them and leave at the Guest Relations Desk.

I feel really silly, and this may be a rediculous question, but I've never thought about it until now...does the Captain have a table at both dinner seatings? I personally never really wanted to dine with the Captain, but thinking about it, I think my fiance would get a huge kick out of it on our honeymoon, which will be his first cruise. He is an engineer, and I think he would love to do anything or meet anyone who had any dealings with the innerworkings of the ship. On that note, does anyone know of anything else available for someone like my fiance who likes that sort of thing (tours, people we should try to meet)? Thanks in advance! :)

On my last cruise I typed a letter to the captian ask for a tour of the bridege..That was declined..understandbly though, My outher question for him wsa to meet with the ship's safety officer..That was accepted (im a firefighter) and want to be a safety officer on a cruise ship. But writing to the captian is easy, when you get onboard just go to the pursers desk and hand them a letter, it took me 1 day for a responce... Hope this helps...Ryan

Don't know where my head is at.......... till I noticed that you are on the Legend out of Tampa in 52 days. I know a few people aboard, why don't you email me with your intentions and let me see if I can get you a name. My email is rby1@earthlink.netRick

Hey sorry for poping in, What people do you now on the ship? Any of them hold officer positions? Do you think it would be possible to have one of them to cantact me? I want to be a safety Officer... Thanks for any help given,,Ryan McNeil

My email is BCSFD279@YAHOO>COM

My AIM is BCSFD279

Once again THANKS:)

Somehow we ended up at this table (they had us down for early seating and when we went to change it for late seating they tried to give us a table for 2 and we requested a large table as we love to meet people and were seated at his table) and he had dinner with us both formal nights and it was a great time. Really enjoyed it. He is someone who really knows the inner working of the ships. It wasn't stuffy either.

Another option, if you can't get with the Captain...ask for another VIP seating. We were invited (by a friend who is head of the hotel desk) to sit at the Captain's table on one of the formal nights of Ensenada to Hawaii, but with the hotel director instead. Unfortunately the hotel director became ill and they sat us with head of finances and the head of food and beverage. (Loved one of the two. :rolleyes: ) As someone mentioned...you do have to be on your best behavior. Our 20 year old daughter really missed our regular waiter that night as he was so much fun...but he kept coming close to the table and harassing her...trying to get her to goof off...which was just killing her. :D Just a thought for a good option as we still met at the Champagne Bar before the meal, had a special menu, had pictures given to us,etc.

jsut got off the VOS from bermuda to cape liberty last week, i wote a letter trying to get to eat at his table, no luck but i was able to meet him privately by chance and it ends up he let me steer the ship for a few minutes while departing bermuda (outside the port itself) ......ssshhhhh........they do this occasionly when the bridge is pretty quiet....

What about maybe asking my TA to do it for us? I don't want the entire extended family to have dinner with him, just my family of 4.
You may have a chance with two, but 4 (including children) will be pushing it. My DH and I were invited, but the rest of our family wasn't. We declined because we didn't want to be separated from them as it was DD's birthday celebration that night.

I see where someone mentioned the emergency response team. But my son wants to study medicine (he's a brain tumor survivor) and my DP is a surgical tech...so I'm sure they would be thrilled to try to eat with the ships doctor or equivalent. I don't really know enough about cruising (didn't need a dr on my one and only cruise *knock on wood*) to even know what the medical staff/hierarchy is. Can anyone help? That way I can have a letter ready and present it as mentioned in ppost....

Thanks alot...

A

LOL ... sounds similar to what my worries would be. I could eat every night without incident, believe me ... the night I sat at the Captain's table would be the night I spilled my soda all over his white uniform. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived