Coast Guard Medevac Pregnant Woman From Norwegian Breakaway, Oct 6 2015 - VIDEO

Fred Quimby

I'm wondering who pays for the helicopter?:confused:

Tax payers, same people who pay for the CG in case my butt needs to be hoisted off my boat

The price tag of typical search and rescue (SAR) operation is anything but typical. It all depends on the scenario. Some rescues only take a few hours, and some volunteer manpower. Others involve high-altitude helicopters, rescue boats and teams of paid employees over the course of several days. Consider that the average cost to power a standard helicopter is about $1,600 per hour and you can see how the costs can mount in a hurry [source: Sharples].

The United States Coast Guard is the leader in SAR operations, coming to the assistance of an average of 114 people per day at a total cost of $680 million annually [source: Fagin]. A Coast Guard patrol boat costs $1,147 per hour, and if the rescue requires the use of a C-130 turboprop plane, the bill increases at a rate of $7,600 an hour [source: Sharples]. These are only the hard costs associated with operating the various rescue tools. It does not include man hours or money tied to the training of the personnel.

The National Park Service (NPS) is another agency heavily involved in SAR operations. In 2007, the NPS logged almost 3,600 incidents of search and rescue, 136 of which resulted in fatalities [source: Repanshek]. This resulted in almost $5 million in associated expenses. Other sources put the average number closer to $3 million per year. Whether it's closer to three or five million dollars, it's clear that the NPS shells out a lot of money to bring people to safety each year.

Other SAR missions around the Unites States are carried out by local sheriff's offices, which are typically a mix of county employees working in concert with a staff of unpaid volunteers. But even if most of the manpower comes from unpaid do-gooders, there are always hard costs that cannot be avoided. The Coast Guard, National Park Service and all law enforcement agencies are ultimately funded by tax payer dollars.

Travel insurance etc......is worth its weight in gold in countries outside the US who don't have people like the CG to do rescues

Edited by Laszlo

Tax payers, same people who pay for the CG in case my butt needs to be hoisted off my boat

The price tag of typical search and rescue (SAR) operation is anything but typical. It all depends on the scenario. Some rescues only take a few hours, and some volunteer manpower. Others involve high-altitude helicopters, rescue boats and teams of paid employees over the course of several days. Consider that the average cost to power a standard helicopter is about $1,600 per hour and you can see how the costs can mount in a hurry [source: Sharples].

The United States Coast Guard is the leader in SAR operations, coming to the assistance of an average of 114 people per day at a total cost of $680 million annually [source: Fagin]. A Coast Guard patrol boat costs $1,147 per hour, and if the rescue requires the use of a C-130 turboprop plane, the bill increases at a rate of $7,600 an hour [source: Sharples]. These are only the hard costs associated with operating the various rescue tools. It does not include man hours or money tied to the training of the personnel.

The National Park Service (NPS) is another agency heavily involved in SAR operations. In 2007, the NPS logged almost 3,600 incidents of search and rescue, 136 of which resulted in fatalities [source: Repanshek]. This resulted in almost $5 million in associated expenses. Other sources put the average number closer to $3 million per year. Whether it's closer to three or five million dollars, it's clear that the NPS shells out a lot of money to bring people to safety each year.

Other SAR missions around the Unites States are carried out by local sheriff's offices, which are typically a mix of county employees working in concert with a staff of unpaid volunteers. But even if most of the manpower comes from unpaid do-gooders, there are always hard costs that cannot be avoided. The Coast Guard, National Park Service and all law enforcement agencies are ultimately funded by tax payer dollars.

Travel insurance etc......is worth its weight in gold in countries outside the US who don't have people like the CG to do rescues

This is spot on. As someone who coordinates search and rescue for all 48 states (and occasionally over water working with the Coast Guard) every day for a living, I just wanted to pipe in. Most people don't know that the Air Force (inland SAR) and the Coast Guard (coast/waterways) perform SAR functions for civilians on a daily basis. Next time you need to be plucked off of a mountain because you're lost, injured, or stranded, or off of a ship due to a medical emergency, we'll be there to help. :)

This is spot on. As someone who coordinates search and rescue for all 48 states (and occasionally over water working with the Coast Guard) every day for a living, I just wanted to pipe in. Most people don't know that the Air Force (inland SAR) and the Coast Guard (coast/waterways) perform SAR functions for civilians on a daily basis. Next time you need to be plucked off of a mountain because you're lost, injured, or stranded, or off of a ship due to a medical emergency, we'll be there to help. :)

My hat goes off to people like yourself and I hope to god never to need your service!:)