Wine Corkage Fee in Cabin?

CapCrunch

Sorry for my first post to be about this possibly argumentative topic. But (a) it's my first cruise ever coming up so all this is new to me (ok, I was on a cruise when I was four!), and (b) the cruise I am going on they aren't offering a drink package. I wish they were, I'd gladly purchase it. I also have no problem paying for drinks on board - I looked at the menus and the prices aren't too bad. But, anyway, I have a few questions.

(1) So you can bring wine on board, and they charge an uncorking fee when you drink a bottle in a restaurant, etc. Fine, that makes sense. But they also charge an uncorking fee when you drink a bottle in your cabin? How will they know if I'm drinking a bottle in my cabin, and what if it's a screw-off cap? Or champagne, which you need no corkscrew for (all I need is a washcloth - I'm an expert!). Are you expected to call the front desk and tell them you're about to open one? Do they charge you the uncorking fee when you bring the bottle(s) on board? I'd just like to know how this works, I don't even mind paying the $15/bottle. I know you can't bring a case of wine onboard, but how many bottles can you bring? I wouldn't bring more than maybe four or so, just wondering. Maybe I'd only bring two. If they do charge you when you board, do you get a refund if you disembark with unopened bottles? Maybe not likely, but possible.

(2) So all your bags go through an x-ray machine when you board? Wow, I thought that would only be on the flight. Do you also have to go through an x-ray machine yourself?

(3) As I mentioned, I looked at a lot of the drink menus for my ship online. Even at Maltings, I don't see any prices for straight whiskey, straight rum, etc. Can I get a shot of whiskey or rum straight up, the way God intended? I sort of get the feeling not. Also, at the Martini bar, do they make traditional martinis with only vodka and vermouth? Again, as God intended? I only crazy flavortinis on the menu, and I can't stand those. Just wondering. I don't see the reason for a supposed whiskey bar and a cigar bar (not that I smoke) if you can't have an actual drink of whiskey.

Ok, I'd just love to know the answers to these questions. Thanks!!

So,,,, You need to handcarry your wine onto the ship. As you go through security, you stop at a desk and pay the corkage fee for any bottles brought on board (regardless of where you consume it). 750 ml Bottle: $15.00. 1500 ml Magnum: $30.00. They will sticker your bottles and charge your room account for the corkage fee.

Do NOT leave the wine in your checked luggage. Your bags will be confiscated and you will spend some of your sailaway time getting them from the "naughty room".

And,,, yup, you can order anything from any of the bars. They have a variety of rums and whiskys.

Enjoy your first Cruise and feel free to post any other questions to CC.

BTW, I meant uncorking fee, not corkage - that'd be silly!

And in a somewhat related question, I also sleep with a CPAP device for Sleep Apnea, and I'll need to bring onboard a gallon bottle of distilled water for the humidifier part of it. Unless they sell that on board, which I doubt. They won't give me any problem with that, will they? I assume they'll want to open the bottle to check it when boarding, which is fine. But it'll probably look like the worst smuggling attempt ever before they do so. LOL. A funny predicament but it must come up often as these devices are quite common now.

So,,,, You need to handcarry your wine onto the ship. As you go through security, you stop at a desk and pay the corkage fee for any bottles brought on board (regardless of where you consume it). 750 ml Bottle: $15.00. 1500 ml Magnum: $30.00. They will sticker your bottles and charge your room account for the corkage fee.

Do NOT leave the wine in your checked luggage. Your bags will be confiscated and you will spend some of your sailaway time getting them from the "naughty room".

And,,, yup, you can order anything from any of the bars. They have a variety of rums and whiskys.

Enjoy your first Cruise and feel free to post any other questions to CC.

Thanks a lot for the answers! We don't have to remove belts and empty our pockets and all that, do we?

Sorry, the answer to #2 is that ship's security is kinda like airplanes. No weapons, firearms, ammunition, explosives, or any other dangerous goods. At the port, your handcarry will be x-rayed (like the airport) and you will walk through a magnetometer. You'll do this every time you board the ship (at your origination port and at any ports of call along the way).

Similar to my prior response, if you want to bring wine onboard at a port call, you will have to pay a corkage fee. All other alcohol will be confiscated at the gangway and returned to you on your last night of the cruise (so if you buy that fine bottle of rum when you are ashore, you won't get it back until you leave the ship).

And in a somewhat related question, I also sleep with a CPAP device for Sleep Apnea, and I'll need to bring onboard a gallon bottle of distilled water for the humidifier part of it. Unless they sell that on board, which I doubt. They won't give me any problem with that, will they? I assume they'll want to open the bottle to check it when boarding, which is fine. But it'll probably look like the worst smuggling attempt ever before they do so. LOL. A funny predicament but it must come up often as these devices are quite common now.

Contact the special need department before your cruise and they will provide distilled water for your CPAC machine at no charge. No need to bring it on yourself.

And yes, you can bring a case of wine on if you want. No limit as long as you pay the $15 per bottle.

You can get straight up whiskey, single malt scotches, rum etc. and regular martinis.

Lois

1. Corkage Fees are to offset the loss of profit - nothing to do with opening the bottle. It is $15 per 750ml bottle - drinkable anywhere on the ship - paid as you board the ship. No limit to numbers (just what you can carry in your carry-on).

2. They X-ray baggage for all sorts of stuff - not just booze! You will go through a metal detector before boarding.

3. Plenty of straight shots available (whiskey and whisky, rum, brandy etc.) and martinis 'as God intended' - I know - I've probably tried the lot!

Thanks a lot for the answers! We don't have to remove belts and empty our pockets and all that, do we?

No,,,, it's less formal. Kinda like TSA Pre-Check if you know how that works. If you trip the alarm, they will hand wand you (or if you remember that your cell phone is still in your pocket, you can step back and put it through xray). :D

A word of warning on the security screening & this might be port variable, last time we cruised you did have to take the stuff out of you pockets to go through security. There was a guy in front of us who had a pocketknife and security took it from him. He either had to check it and pick it up at the end of the week or he could have taken it out to their car. This was in Baltimore.

No need to bring distilled water for your CPAP, see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47364780&postcount=17

Chris

Thanks again all! Very helpful.

One more: as I said, my cruise is a charter thing, and as I said apparently there's no drink package offered. But is it possible to purchase a drink package directly from Norwegian? Or is it that if the "agency" that organized the cruise isn't offering it, there's just no chance of it? Not sure how that works. It's one of these music cruises (not a crazy one - I think!)

Sorry for my first post to be about this possibly argumentative topic. But (a) it's my first cruise ever coming up so all this is new to me (ok, I was on a cruise when I was four!), and (b) the cruise I am going on they aren't offering a drink package. I wish they were, I'd gladly purchase it. I also have no problem paying for drinks on board - I looked at the menus and the prices aren't too bad. But, anyway, I have a few questions.

(1) So you can bring wine on board, and they charge an uncorking fee when you drink a bottle in a restaurant, etc. Fine, that makes sense. But they also charge an uncorking fee when you drink a bottle in your cabin? How will they know if I'm drinking a bottle in my cabin, and what if it's a screw-off cap? Or champagne, which you need no corkscrew for (all I need is a washcloth - I'm an expert!). Are you expected to call the front desk and tell them you're about to open one? Do they charge you the uncorking fee when you bring the bottle(s) on board? I'd just like to know how this works, I don't even mind paying the $15/bottle. I know you can't bring a case of wine onboard, but how many bottles can you bring? I wouldn't bring more than maybe four or so, just wondering. Maybe I'd only bring two. If they do charge you when you board, do you get a refund if you disembark with unopened bottles? Maybe not likely, but possible.

(2) So all your bags go through an x-ray machine when you board? Wow, I thought that would only be on the flight. Do you also have to go through an x-ray machine yourself?

(3) As I mentioned, I looked at a lot of the drink menus for my ship online. Even at Maltings, I don't see any prices for straight whiskey, straight rum, etc. Can I get a shot of whiskey or rum straight up, the way God intended? I sort of get the feeling not. Also, at the Martini bar, do they make traditional martinis with only vodka and vermouth? Again, as God intended? I only crazy flavortinis on the menu, and I can't stand those. Just wondering. I don't see the reason for a supposed whiskey bar and a cigar bar (not that I smoke) if you can't have an actual drink of whiskey.

Ok, I'd just love to know the answers to these questions. Thanks!!

The price is $15 a bottle and yes, your carryons go through xrys: all lines are doing the xray now for security reasons. Of course the sam holds true with your other luggage and yes, you will be charged the amount regardles where you dring your wine. Unless you are very particular about brands I would suggest you just buy the wine package when you board. I t runs $88 for 4 bottles, thus it isn't much more than bringing you own on and paying the $15 plus it is a lot less hassle.

My husband uses a CPAP machine. I simply contact the Special Needs Dept before the cruise and a gallon of distilled water is provided in our cabin.

Your question regarding the distilled water has been answered above.

The [single] outlet in the cabin is usually located in or on the counter across from the bed. There are usually no outlets next to the bed. I always carry a small, plain power strip (non-surge protected) to split the power at the counter. And then carry light weight extension cords to run power to bedside for CPAP devices.

On older non-NCL cruise ships, the surge protection in power strips sometimes would cause the circuit breaker for the room to trip (requiring a trip from the ship's electrician to reset). Since that time, I always carry a plain power strip on cruises.

Your question regarding the distilled water has been answered above.

The [single] outlet in the cabin is usually located in or on the counter across from the bed. There are usually no outlets next to the bed. I always carry a small, plain power strip (non-surge protected) to split the power at the counter. And then carry light weight extension cords to run power to bedside for CPAP devices.

On older non-NCL cruise ships, the surge protection in power strips sometimes would cause the circuit breaker for the room to trip (requiring a trip from the ship's electrician to reset). Since that time, I always carry a plain power strip on cruises.

Now THAT is useful info - thanks! I was going to ask about that but figured these days with everyone needing to charge their various devices, a cabin would be just like a hotel room and have several outlets. I'll have to pack those things in my CPAP bag tomorrow.

my cruise is a charter thing, and as I said apparently there's no drink package offered. But is it possible to purchase a drink package directly from Norwegian?

No, it is NCL policy that drink packages are not offered on any charters - it's in the T&C of drink packages.

No, it is NCL policy that drink packages are not offered on any charters - it's in the T&C of drink packages.

True that individual drink packages aren't offered on charters, but if you are sailing on a music charter (or any other charter) on the Sky since they've changed things up, the kinda-sorta beverage package is now included. I know a lot of very happy music fans who are thrilled about this new change for our St Patrick's day cruise next year. :) Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who might be on a charter on the Sky.

True that individual drink packages aren't offered on charters, but if you are sailing on a music charter (or any other charter) on the Sky since they've changed things up, the kinda-sorta beverage package is now included. I know a lot of very happy music fans who are thrilled about this new change for our St Patrick's day cruise next year. :) Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who might be on a charter on the Sky.

Yeah, because apparently last year the same charter DID have a drinks package and lots of folks are unhappy there's none this year. Oh well...

Just a word of advice. The corkage fee is just the term used for the charge and isn't actually anything to do with them removing the cork for you. If you do take your own wine onboard (and it isn't screw top) then put a corkscrew in your bags so that you can open it without needing to get anyone else involved.

Can I get a corkscrew from my steward?

I've heard so much conflicting information about corkscrews going through TSA and port security.

We'll be in the Med, and I can purchase good local wine. Even with the $15 fee, I'll be drinking good wine for less than ship selections I can find in my local grocery store.