I want to apologize to all RCCL lovers

stbmom

I tried to resist.

I tried to wait.

However - I am bucking a cruise for me and my family - which includes a little one!! I know, you all hate it, but I can not imagine not going on a cruise any longer. Don't worry - I promise to book a cabin in the most remote part of the ship. I promise to bring every toy he loves and every trick I know to keep him quite. I promise to take him as far away from others when he is fussy.

I promise to never try and eat in the formal dining room. I promise to not put him in the pool or even the kiddie pool. I promise to tip the staff for him as a full passenger. I promise to bring the small stroller, not the huge one.

BUT - I GOTTA GET BACK ON A BOAT!!!!! :p

I tried to resist.

I tried to wait.

However - I am bucking a cruise for me and my family - which includes a little one!! I know, you all hate it, but I can not imagine not going on a cruise any longer. Don't worry - I promise to book a cabin in the most remote part of the ship. I promise to bring every toy he loves and every trick I know to keep him quite. I promise to take him as far away from others when he is fussy.

I promise to never try and eat in the formal dining room. I promise to not put him in the pool or even the kiddie pool. I promise to tip the staff for him as a full passenger. I promise to bring the small stroller, not the huge one.

BUT - I GOTTA GET BACK ON A BOAT!!!!! :p

stbmom-

You do NOT have to apologize for wanting to share precious vacation time with your child.

It saddens me a little that you now have a long list of what is considered "acceptable" behaviour for a child while onboard a ship....

I think we need to live and let live.

Have a wonderful cruise and congrats for booking it! :)

Don't you apoligize for anything! You have a wonderful vacation with your family. You sound like a great parent and you enjoy this special time with your little one. He is so lucky to be able to go on a fantastic vacation with his loved ones. :)

23_28_11.gif STBMOM for booking your cruise. What ship will you be going on?

I've seen many infants and young toddlers on the cruise and I never had a problem with them. To see them all dressed up for a formal night makes me melt. Seeing the formal picture taken is priceless. The waiters in the dining room will spoil this child since they miss their families at home.

We saw an infant on our cruise last year near us in the dining room and she was the cutest thing. She couldn't take all the excitement and every night after late seating she was out cold with daddy carrying her out. We never heard a peep out of her when she was eating dinner with everyone.

Depending on what ship you're going on, there are programs for the youngest members in the family. Voyager offers a baby program and it looked really cool. May want to check into that. Nice time to bond with your son.

Someday I'll be bringing my kid on the ship (we're in the process of adopting) and I can't wait to show him/her the wonderful life of cruising.

Go and have a blast!

I am a mom of two girls that are on there own and have lives of there own, and they grow up so fast, so if you want to enjoy your kids before there grown and off to college and have a career of their own, I say take them along as often as you can, because as soon as they are grown the times will be that they are busy with their own lives so enjoy, I just went on a cruise and I kept saying I wish they could have made it but maybe next time.

We have taken our 2 grandaughters on cruises and will again in November. The oldest just turned 7 and she gets sooo excited at the mention of going on a cruise. They have a fabulous time and are counting the days. You know--cruisin is getting to be for families and those who don't like kids on their cruise need to book elsewhere cause mine are commin with me!!

Congratulations. Thank you for being so considerate of others. Usually infants don't create alot of noise because they spend most of their time sleeping. It's the toddlers screaming that won't stop that bother me when the parents ignore the behavior and let it continue. We had dinner at an Inn last year and had an 8 year old boy bouncing his soccer ball next to our table.

Unfortunately, many parents these days do not discipline their children.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

. . . It saddens me a little that you now have a long list of what is considered "acceptable" behaviour for a child while onboard a ship....

Yes the "infants have no place on a cruise" and the "children have no place on a cruise" folks have come up with a considerable list of rules that our families must adhere to before they will allow us to board THEIR cruises.

Let's develop a "bill of rights" for the under 20 set ;) :

1) Kids are people too. If an adult accidently bumps into a child, the adult is expected to say "I'm sorry". If a child needs to pass adults who are blocking a passageway or stairwell and asks to be excused, the adult should acknowledge the request and allow the child to pass. If a child is in line, the adult does not have the right to "butt" in front of the child.

2) Don't complain until (unless) you have something to complain about. No pre-emptive comments - "if that child begins to fuss, you ARE going to remove him IMMEDIATELY." No loud comments to your companions about "when I was a child, I never . . . ."

3) Stay out of kid venues if you don't want kids around you. The daily compass advertises Adventure Ocean and Adventure Family events that are in otherwise public venues - stay out of those areas at those times if you don't want kids around. Don't drag a lounge chair into the Adventure Beach area and complain that the kids are running around. Don't select a seat next to a family with children in the Windjammer or theatre (you may not be able to control who chooses to sit next to you, but when you are doing the seat selection an a family is already seated - hey you've made your decision.)

I noted that there was already a post talking about wailing toddlers. That kind of goes against right number 2 - the poster has not observed your child wailing and should not judge your parenting or your child's behavior based upon other parents or children.

You go and have a great time!

Yes the "infants have no place on a cruise" and the "children have no place on a cruise" folks have come up with a considerable list of rules that our families must adhere to before they will allow us to board THEIR cruises.

Let's develop a "bill of rights" for the under 20 set ;) :

1) Kids are people too. If an adult accidently bumps into a child, the adult is expected to say "I'm sorry". If a child needs to pass adults who are blocking a passageway or stairwell and asks to be excused, the adult should acknowledge the request and allow the child to pass. If a child is in line, the adult does not have the right to "butt" in front of the child.

2) Don't complain until (unless) you have something to complain about. No pre-emptive comments - "if that child begins to fuss, you ARE going to remove him IMMEDIATELY." No loud comments to your companions about "when I was a child, I never . . . ."

3) Stay out of kid venues if you don't want kids around you. The daily compass advertises Adventure Ocean and Adventure Family events that are in otherwise public venues - stay out of those areas at those times if you don't want kids around. Don't drag a lounge chair into the Adventure Beach area and complain that the kids are running around. Don't select a seat next to a family with children in the Windjammer or theatre (you may not be able to control who chooses to sit next to you, but when you are doing the seat selection an a family is already seated - hey you've made your decision.)

I noted that there was already a post talking about wailing toddlers. That kind of goes against right number 2 - the poster has not observed your child wailing and should not judge your parenting or your child's behavior based upon other parents or children.

You go and have a great time!

YOU GO and have a great time. Let those who want to complain stay in the cabin. Enjoy the cruise.

OK...I'll bite. By all means bring your child. In our experience, the children are not the issue. It's the parents! Yes, I do not want your child coming over to our table and smearing chocolate hands on my expensive formal. And yes, after 15 minutes of screaming...it would be appropriate to take the child out of the dining room. Those who have probably posted negative comments have had these experiences or worse. (we have). You cannot fault the child. Bottom line...common sense. We LOVE children...(we're expecting two more grandchildren in October...and hope to take them cruising some day!). Children will be children...that's what makes them angels. It's the PARENTS who don't observe common coutesies/manners that create ill-will. So very glad that you are cruising again. When is your cruise? Do bring the little guy to dinner in the diningroom.

35 years ago my pediatrician gave me good advice...he said "you can always tell which children have not experienced life or been given good guidance on conduct. They are the ones who haven't learned to live in society. Take your child with you where ever you go. And help him learn to live well in society." Poor kid got drug all over the place! But he never disturbed anyone's dinner in the finest restaurants. And he grew up comfortable in any social situation. He's now a very successful professional.

You are a very loving/good parent. I do hope you have booked a cruise on one that we have booked. And we hope you don't mind if we gush over your child. Just tell us when we're too overbearing...we won't be offended!

Cass

I exposed my children to all sorts of social situations ( and we had rules for them to follow). But that is not a universal practice. We went to a sports dinner for my older son in HS, and he was the only one at the table who knew what each utensil was for and what each course was at dinner. How shocking is that?:eek:

There is no harm taking children as long as they are taught how to behave. Go and have a great time, you are a responsible parent, which should be the norm.

We had a two year old at the table next to us on the Infinity this month (late seating). I honestly didn't even know he was there until the third night when one of my tablemates who was sitting close to him made a comment about how cute he was. I was really surprised. He was sleeping in his chair. I guess he slept there though dinner every night because I never heard a peep out of him. His parents must have fed him early every day and wore him out before dinner.

We had one of these on our last cruise -- she climbed into a hot tub that we were already using on a cool and rainy day (very quietly, I might add) and immediately announced that if there was the least bit of disturbance she would insist that the children leave the tub -- mind you, they had not so much a blinked an eyelash at this point. Needless to say, we did leave, and it was fun to see her jaw drop when the kids put on their RCCL robes (we were staying in a RF suite). The next night at the show we were already sitting in an out of the way section of the balcony, when who should plop down right next to us? The wicked witch of the hot tub, of course! The scowl on her face when she realized what she had done was really priceless. Fortunately, the other 2000+ cruisers were really very pleasant, and overall my kids felt very welcome on board.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Have a wonderful time! (Why not eat in the formal dining room? If the baby gets terribly fussy, you could always walk with him outside the dining room 'til he settles)....
Alternatively, if you are breastfeeding, feel free to feed your baby at the table. No reason you should have to interrupt your meal if all the child is wailing about is hunger or need for comfort.

Oh - and one more thing...

We cruise with our daughter and plan on doing so for a very long time - or until she doesn't want to be seen with her parents anymore! :rolleyes:

We have been cruising with our daughter since she was 2 years old and she's almost 20.I remember the my parents embarrass me phase.I used to tell her I was going to buy matching outfits for us. ;)

Archived