What about using Uber from YVR to Canada Place

notentirelynormal

Uber did indeed try to start a Vancouver operation - but enforcement of local, already-existing regulations meant it never got beyond a pilot attempt. There is a minimum charge of $75 per hour, and minimum of 1 hour, for all private car services in the whole Lower Mainland area without specific exemption.

Taxis are the only for-rent vehicle category that is exempt, and their rates are also locked-in regardless of which company operates them; the Aerocar airport franchise has a specific company exemption for their routes to & from YVR.

Unless Uber can negotiate a rule change it simply will not work here. An additional problem for them is that our taxi licenses are based on population size, unlike many cities where there's a specific number that may go unchanged for decades the proportion of taxis to people remains very similar here and we do not get the huge availability issues that occur elsewhere, making it a less enticing service from an availability POV.

As xlxo said - if transit isn't for you, $35 fixed-rate cabs will definitely be the cheapest way to get there.

There is also a very strong lobby from Vancouver's taxi industry to keep Uber from becoming a reality. As is the case in most large cities, the taxi business is a highly regulated one, taxi licences are very tightly controlled and extremely costly to acquire. Any time there is a proposal to issue a few new taxi licenses there is a huge out cry from existing licence holders. My guess it will be some time (if ever) before Vancouver sees Uber.

Why not a 30 minute +/- ride on the rapid transit link? Might not be best if you've got a large amount of luggage, but that's how we're getting there. Look here for more info:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/public-transportation.aspx

Tom

The Canada Line is certainly an option however a person must be able bodied, be able to walk 3 blocks from Canada Place and be able to handle all of their luggage. If arriving from YVR to hotel or from hotel to YVR a person might care to check how close to a station their hotel is and then decide if they want to take the Canada Line. The cars were designed to make the roll on and roll off of luggage easy and there is lots of room for luggage, particularly during non rush hours.

Thanks for all the answers. It was just like I thought. Using the skytrain is not in the cards for me. That much walking would put me in a very bad spot and not a good way to start a cruise. Plus I don't care to move luggage that far, nor am I able. I'm too old and too tired.

I had already decided to use the taxi but my brother was talking about Uber the other day so thought I'd ask. It might even be fun to book the limo :D.

Thanks for all the answers. It was just like I thought. Using the skytrain is not in the cards for me. That much walking would put me in a very bad spot and not a good way to start a cruise. Plus I don't care to move luggage that far, nor am I able. I'm too old and too tired.

I am sure that it is a result of an old athletic injury.....you know leaping over the fence at the Capilano Suspension Bridge in your misguided youth. :D

I am sure that it is a result of an old athletic injury.....you know leaping over the fence at the Capilano Suspension Bridge in your misguided youth. :D

You crack me up. :D Thanks for that by the way. Too bad you aren't going to be on my next cruise (or the April one). I bet we could swap some great stories. We did spend some good times at the dam and below. We thought it was an extension of our back yard. Good exercise too!

I'm actually the one in the group that is going to roll down that hill or walk into that wall. I've broken my tailbone twice. The first time was in Sydney when I shattered a third of it. Sober but missed that damn bar stool. That of course was my third fall that trip. Then we had to fly home. There hasn't been a wall that doesn't need to be kicked that I have ignored. Stairs are for rolling down, right? That would be the result of bi-focals. I always miss that last stair. No good can come of being sober. It never happens when I'm drunk.

Here is a TMI: I actually have what is called RSDS. Regional sympathetic dystrophy syndrome. Kind of like when someone loses their arm and their brain tells them their hand hurts. My nervous system tells my brain I'm in pain. There is nothing physically wrong but I reach an 8-10 pain level every day. It is a misfire. All I can do now is wish for the two nervous systems to merge again.

They have put a simulator in my butt. My grandkids love to tell people that grandma has a computer in her butt. I am the butt of all their jokes but I will get it in the end. My grandson loves to tell me, shocking grandma, simply shocking!

I can't wait to fly where I light up their buzzers. Apparently no more walking through metal detectors. :eek: I'll let you know how that works out for me. Luckily I have the trusted traveler program. I'm planning on getting the Nexus too, which is why we are flying up to Vancouver.

Unfortunately the pretend nerve damage is the bottom of my feet. You can touch my leg and I'm fine but blow on my leg and the tears will flow. I do have the coolest drugs ever though LOL. Drugs that trick my brain into not feeling pain for a pain that is only in my brain (heavy sigh). That means wearing my shoes is uncomfortable. Walking in those shoes is even worse. Walking a long distance is torture. Have pillow will travel. I carry my own for those hard seats.

For the record I have one brother that currently lives in Garden Bay and apparently another one (because I haven't talked to him in years) that lives near you in Sechelt. So be afraid, very afraid. :cool:

I had already decided to use the taxi but my brother was talking about Uber the other day so thought I'd ask. It might even be fun to book the limo :D.

Check this link out for sedan and limo service costs. 8 passenger limo is $93 for a one way trip.

http://aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates/

If the taxi offers door to door carload service for $35 for airport to downtown service.... what advantage would Uber offer?

• taxi's are waiting right at arrivals when you walk out. Uber pickup would likely be much further walk.
  • for getting around elsewhere outside of the airport... Uber offers vehicle selection from your app.... taxi's eCab app offers the same option.

Check this link out for sedan and limo service costs. 8 passenger limo is $93 for a one way trip.

http://aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates/

If the taxi offers door to door carload service for $35 for airport to downtown service.... what advantage would Uber offer?

• taxi's are waiting right at arrivals when you walk out. Uber pickup would likely be much further walk.
  • for getting around elsewhere outside of the airport... Uber offers vehicle selection from your app.... taxi's eCab app offers the same option.

Thanks for your help. I was more curious if Uber was in Vancouver. I figured not but since it is such and up and coming thing in the US I wondered. For me, it is a weird concept. Taxi drivers need to be vetted somehow but having a random person show up to your house to drive you to the airport.... I dunno ... Should I just give the guy my key and alarm code too? I actually think it is so convenient the way it is laid out at YVR.