Help please planning our POA vacation

JustThinking23

Hi there, I am just starting to plan a winter trip on the POA around Hawaii. I have been reading up on the forums, but still have a number of questions.

First, about us, we are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers. This will be the first visit to this state for all of us. We have been on a few cruises and mostly do DIY excursions for reasons that most folks here are familiar with. We fly in from the East Coast and arrive about 7 AM on Wednesday. That day I’m thinking of just hanging out by the pool and the beach at the hotel.

On Thursday, I am still pretty open. Maybe climb Diamond Head if we are up early and feel up to it. Drive and check out the North Shore beaches and such.

Friday I plan to see Pearl Harbor. I figure this our best chance to be less jet lagged. This is one of our really big priorities for the trip. I plan on getting Arizona tickets on line as soon as they are available and spend the entire day there visiting all of the museums and attractions. This leads to a couple of questions.

On one review I read here, the person said they were lucky they were on the last launch to the Arizona for the day since the wind picked up. Should I reserve tickets on both Thursday and Friday and keep an eye on the forecast? I would hate to travel all the way to Hawaii and miss it. Is there any downside to reservations for 2 days in a row?

I think my family is split on the behind the scenes tour of the Missouri. Is there a nice place to hang out for a while for the family members who do not do the extended tour?

On Saturday, we would climb Diamond Head if we did not get there yet before getting on the ship.

Skipping to the end, since it is the same island, I plan to visit the PCC after getting off the ship. I will rent a car. We have a 10 PM flight home.

I often look at the ship’s excursions for ideas, and then recreate them myself.

For the port visits, the Big Island seems easiest for me. In Hilo, rent a car. My first priority is to see the Volcano National Park, and try to hit some of the water falls and a black sand beach. In Kona, rent a car and visit a coffee plantation and a beach. Maybe see one of the scenic valleys. Fairly low key day here.

On Maui, my wife and I are still trying to decide on the Road to Hana. There is plenty of information and opinions listed in other active threads; we just need to decide… I would definitely want to snorkel at the volcanic crater. Not sure of the sunrise offerings yet.

In Kauai, I was looking at the tubing excursion and kayaking so far.

More questions!

- Where are fun places to kayak on this trip?

- NCL lists a horseback riding trip in Kauai that includes a sand bar. I have not found that vendor. The only horse riding vendor I found was Silver Falls Ranch, which is inland. Any recommendations for horseback riding for novices?

- We want to do a Luau somewhere. At this stage in our plans we could do it on Thursday or Friday pre-cruise in Oahu or at our visits in Maui or Kauai. Any recommendations? Anything that we should avoid?

Thanks for reading this far, and I appreciate any help!

Hi there, I am just starting to plan a winter trip on the POA around Hawaii. I have been reading up on the forums, but still have a number of questions.

First, about us, we are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers. This will be the first visit to this state for all of us. We have been on a few cruises and mostly do DIY excursions for reasons that most folks here are familiar with. We fly in from the East Coast and arrive about 7 AM on Wednesday. That day I’m thinking of just hanging out by the pool and the beach at the hotel.

On Thursday, I am still pretty open. Maybe climb Diamond Head if we are up early and feel up to it. Drive and check out the North Shore beaches and such.

Friday I plan to see Pearl Harbor. I figure this our best chance to be less jet lagged. This is one of our really big priorities for the trip. I plan on getting Arizona tickets on line as soon as they are available and spend the entire day there visiting all of the museums and attractions. This leads to a couple of questions.

On one review I read here, the person said they were lucky they were on the last launch to the Arizona for the day since the wind picked up. Should I reserve tickets on both Thursday and Friday and keep an eye on the forecast? I would hate to travel all the way to Hawaii and miss it. Is there any downside to reservations for 2 days in a row?

I think my family is split on the behind the scenes tour of the Missouri. Is there a nice place to hang out for a while for the family members who do not do the extended tour?

On Saturday, we would climb Diamond Head if we did not get there yet before getting on the ship.

Skipping to the end, since it is the same island, I plan to visit the PCC after getting off the ship. I will rent a car. We have a 10 PM flight home.

I often look at the ship’s excursions for ideas, and then recreate them myself.

For the port visits, the Big Island seems easiest for me. In Hilo, rent a car. My first priority is to see the Volcano National Park, and try to hit some of the water falls and a black sand beach. In Kona, rent a car and visit a coffee plantation and a beach. Maybe see one of the scenic valleys. Fairly low key day here.

On Maui, my wife and I are still trying to decide on the Road to Hana. There is plenty of information and opinions listed in other active threads; we just need to decide… I would definitely want to snorkel at the volcanic crater. Not sure of the sunrise offerings yet.

In Kauai, I was looking at the tubing excursion and kayaking so far.

More questions!

- Where are fun places to kayak on this trip?

- NCL lists a horseback riding trip in Kauai that includes a sand bar. I have not found that vendor. The only horse riding vendor I found was Silver Falls Ranch, which is inland. Any recommendations for horseback riding for novices?

- We want to do a Luau somewhere. At this stage in our plans we could do it on Thursday or Friday pre-cruise in Oahu or at our visits in Maui or Kauai. Any recommendations? Anything that we should avoid?

Thanks for reading this far, and I appreciate any help!

When I did the Pearl Harbor tour, it was about 4 hours. Get there very early like 8AM When you take the boat to the memorial sit in the back of the boat you will get some great shots. Tell your wife to bring tissue. The film made me cry My daughter wasn't too interested at first but then she saw how significant this place was she changed her mind. I hope your family does the tour with you and not just the boat ride to the memorial There is a museum and visitor center and gift shop There was a WWII survivor there when I went in 2013 and we got to talk to him. I don't think you need to make 2 reservations.

Don't climb diamond head before you come to the cruise ship You will be exhausted!! It gets pretty hot up there. bring a flashlight for the tunnel. It took me about an hour to get to the summit Amazing views!!

I stayed in Waikiki I went to Germaines luau They picked you up and brought you back. It started at about 5PM to 8PM I think it was $60 per person. I enjoyed it

Aloha and have a great trip!!

The Old Lahaina Luau is excellent and one of the better ones. In Kona- I suggest you also snorkel there too, just superb with a rental car. Being you don't list much to see or do, I would suggest also taking a look at Place of Refuge- then you have easy access to 2 Step. Easy shore snorkeling- that is excellent. There is a snorkel rental shop on the way there, but, I would suggest just stopping at Walmart and picking up your own. They have an excellent selection in Hawaii- at reasonable costs.

You state you want to snorkel Molokini Crater- you HAVE to take an early trip, which fits in well with the overnight stop. You need to keep your car for the two days as well. Unfortunately- there is a chance you won't get to the crater, depends on sea conditions. I always go independent with the same vendor which I've always been successful. I was there last year on a ship tour from a Lahaina port stop, (not possible to go independent) and sure enough- diverted to an alternative site.

Plan on early starts.

I don't have any "jet lag" issues- ever, I easily adjust. I wouldn't really worry too much about it- and enjoy Hawaii.

There isn't much at the USS Missouri to do while you are waiting for the others to finish the extended tour. We hung out in the gift shop, just to get some air conditioning. It was VERY humid when we were there. There also weren't many places to sit and wait.

I just uploaded a few pictures from Paradise Cove Luau, which is what we did after we finished our cruise. That's the only one we went to, so I can't compare it to anything. We liked that a bus came and picked us up at our hotel, but all in all, it was pretty pricey for what it was. (I don't regret going though.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252994

Reserving tickets to the Arizona for two days is a great idea. I love the last tour of the day because most of the tourists are gone and there is a beautiful peace that comes over Pearl Harbor. Possibly reserve late one day and earlier the next day. I do know that the wind can pick up so having this option would be nice. And...the price is right!!!

I'm not a fan of PCC so saving that until the end of your trip is a great idea to me. Then if you think you have had a good exposure to the Polynesian Island cultures you can do something else. I think that a visit to the Iolani Palace is more enjoyable and informative than the PCC but...this is JMO. And saving the PCC to the end, if some want to go they can, and if some would rather see something else they can do that. Have a great trip. Cherie

• 2 months later...

For Kona, renting a car and driving up to Holualoa for coffee tours and tasting is a good bet. My favorite coffee company up there is Hula Daddy. Then stop for lunch at Holuakoa Garden Cafe and check out the art galleries and boutiques after lunch.