Warm fleece

sand piper

I know all fleece is not created equal. How do I find warm fleece. Is name brand the only way?

Many companies/brands will tell you the warmth rating for their jackets (Lands End does, LL Bean might, also any place that has reviews or a place to ask a question by a buyer like Amazon or Sierra Trading Post - ask other people who've bought the coat if they think it would be warm at X degrees or whatever temp you're looking for). Other companies (like Patagonia) have different levels of fleece and you can tell by reading the website which are the cooler/warmer options.

So, on Lands End, they name their coats 100 Fleece, 200Fleece etc - higher number = warmer. And in the description it will tell you the temp range. So the 200 Fleece is rated for "Warm, 5 to 25 F" http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-200-everyday-fleece-parka/id_288449?sku_0=::RPM

The 100 Fleece is 20-35F http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-100-everyday-fleece-half-zip/id_288453?sku_0=::XJH

Edited by Hoyaheel

I know all fleece is not created equal. How do I find warm fleece. Is name brand the only way?

As others have mentioned, name brands will often give you a temp range for their products. If you are looking to go off brand and are shopping in store there are some things you can keep in mind. One of them thickness, a thicker fleece willl be more likely to keep you warm. The other would be the density of the fabric. The more open the weave is the less it wil insulate, so if you have a thick fleece that is kind of an open knit it may still not keep you as warm as a think one that is dense. You can't tell this online but you can see or see it in person. Fleece should be a dense fabric though, so unless the quality is terrible you may not be able to see much difference in density but its something to think about.

LL Bean sells a fleece jacket (or at least they used to) that has a lining inside to actually block the wind as well. I tried one once but returned it as the material is much less soft than fleece and it just didn't work for me. But I would imagine it would be very warm....

Edited to add: Here is a link to the LL Bean Wind Challenger jacket (as described above): http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56674?feat=886-GN3&page=wind-challenger-fleece-jacket

Edited by cruisemom42

The Squall from Lands End had a similar start - I had one way back in college in the early 90s;) Fleece on the inside, water & wind resistant exterior shell. I haven't tried any of the current Squall options so I don't know if they're still the same/similar.

Don't forget about lightweight down and down-alternative (like Primaloft) jackets, too. Just as warm as fleece and weigh less and pack down better.

Or, something like the Patagonia R2 or R3 jackets. I bought a jacket at the MEC (the Canadian equal to REI) back in 2006 made of the same fleece. It doesn't feel like normal fleece, but it's rather soft and looks like it won't be warm. The fabric is kind of furry, meant to simulate the guard hair on animals that keeps them warm. It is my go-to jacket when I the temps are in the 40s (fahrenheit).

That fabric isn't as bulky as usual fleece, and I don't have troubles with static like I do up here in the dry humidity that turns everything possible into static holders.