Book for ship or ports? Liberty vs Vision

We are debating on which to book--

Liberty (Galveston, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel)

or

Vision (Tampa, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel).

It will be me and DH, DS (12- 1 month from 13) and DD (11).

Kids have done Indy, E. Caribbean

DH and I have sailed on Indy, Navigator and Enchantment as well as 3 Princess ships.

I know the kids will love Liberty. But we are excited about the ports that Vision offers. I am worried the kids will not like Vision.

Help! Anyone with insight, info, opinion, etc. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Ports!

With that many ports, and stuff to do in each of them - how much time is spent on the ship anyway?

My kids have always been way more excited to do things in port and to see new places. They like being on the ship, but it has been more about the friends they happen to meet or who we are cruising with than specific activities available on board.

That being said...ask them which they would prefer and how important it is to them. :D

Unless the kids are paying, you go where YOU want to go! Gives them something to look forward to on another trip! There is plenty to do on Vision, especially, if your motivation is the PORTS!

I can't imagine anyone not having fun on either...but he who pays, gets to choose!!!

Edited by cb at sea

If I had the choice, I clearly would prefer VISION!!!

I know both liberty and Vision, and can say, I liked Vision much more - I felt more on a ship, and next to venues with nightlife and activities where to have fun, she also offered some nice and silent places, just to relax and chill out. And she has the enclosed Solarium area, and my beloved Park Café.

I have been sailing on the Western Caribbean route in April, and IMHO the itinerary is quite appealing, the one on Liberty seems to be more mainstream.

And despite the fact, that Liberty has more to offer for children, also Vision offers some nice features for children, including the youth club.

So, if you are more interested in the itinerary and a cruise experience on a SHIP, choose Vision.

Finally, you are the payer for the vacation, your kids shall be happy to travel with you. Ok, you could consider the kids wishes, but your decision, as the payer, should be the final one, and your children should have a fine time on both ships, no matter whether you choose Liberty or Vision.

Edited by celebrity_fan

Tough choice as Freedom class is pretty cool but Vision itinerary is better. I always take ports over ship so I'd recommend Vision with its 4 stops. Not sure when you are doing this but another vote for Vision out of Tampa is the Gulf can be choppy in late Fall-early Spring so you may have a rough crossing to get to Carib from Texas whereas Tampa is practically there. We had rough cruise out of New Orleans couple years ago.

Roatan and Belize are not great stops and you tender in Belize. They are good for water excursions, we love diving in Roatan but your kids aren't old enough. Snorkeling is pretty good there too. Jamaica isn't much better but has more excursions.

Costa Maya and Cozumel are pretty good stops, as is Grand Cayman. So quality of stops is about even IMO, Vision just gives you more. Do both (lol)!

We've been on Liberty twice and Vision 4 times (3 of which were last year). We love Vision and don't really care for the Freedom Class ships. They are too big for us and in our experience, service lacks. With that being said, if the kids are the primary focus, Liberty is probably the better option with all the extra amenities that it offers. However, Vision is a nice ship and will still have lot's of things to occupy the kids attention and time.

Tampa was pretty easy as it's a small cruise port, about 3 piers together. Taxi or transfer from Tampa Airport is only 15-20 minutes. Plenty of hotels by airport, not too expensive. No clue on Galv.