Using free Wi-fi at a port - need help

tbmrt

I see that various cafe's, etc have free wi-fi at some Caribbean ports.

Never used this since I was terrified of receiving large charges from ATT if I did so.

I know I need to set my phone to Airplane mode and shut roaming when boarding. However, what would I need to do to my settings to read my email at one of these cafes at no charge?

Thanks for any input.

I know I need to set my phone to Airplane mode and shut roaming when boarding. However, what would I need to do to my settings to read my email at one of these cafes at no charge?
Leave Airplane mode on, then go into the settings and turn WiFi on. This will keep the cellphone bits (voice and cellular data) turned off while allowing you to connect to a WiFi hotspot.

Alternatively, you go into your settings now and set Data Roaming to OFF and your phone will work fine at home and automatically will not incur data charges on the ship or outside of the US. You'd still receive and send calls and texts if you just turn data roaming off. Charges are higher for calls and texts while but not as outrageous as data.

Edited by Underwatr

The quality of Wi-Fi signal at cafes, bars etc is extremely variable, sometimes so poor as to be unusable. So it's best to look to see if other customers are happily engrossed - or even go ask them if their devices are working OK - before ordering a drink.

Connection at most outlets requires a password, available from the staff.

My elderly I-Pad (no phone incorporated) will not work unless airplane mode is switched off.

I'm no technology guru, but I don't think browsing is secure on a shared signal - no need for paranoia, but avoid accessing sensitive sites such as your bank account.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I'm no technology guru, but I don't think browsing is secure on a shared signal - no need for paranoia, but avoid accessing sensitive sites such as your bank account.
Three letters:

VPN

(Google for details - I use Private Internet Access)

Surprisingly, even what appears to be a secure connection can in fact be a security risk. As FlyerTalker says a VPN is the safest way to go. It requires some advanced setup.

I avoid doing any banking or other financial transactions through a public WiFi connection.

Edited by Underwatr