Independence of the Seas with a 12 and 7 year old-are kids out of place on this ship?

rmulks

Everyone is so helpful and informative on these boards, I'm hoping to get a clearer picture of what to expect on IOS when we're going. My husband and I, in our early 40s will be traveling with our 12 year old son and 7 year old daughter. As a family we've cruised on all 4 Disney ships and NCL Breakaway. On all of those ships there were many families aboard, as well as family activities. I'm sure we will find activities on the ship but I guess I'm more concerned about our fellow cruise passengers-are there many families on board with younger children, or is the ship more geared toward older adults and couples? My children are well behaved, but I don't want to be on a ship where I feel like they're in the way. We'll be sailing January 16th-21st to Cozumel and Belize-being that kids have that Monday off of school, I thought more families may be traveling then? We chose this ship because it fit into our schedule (Sat-Thurs sailing) and we really wanted to try a RCCL ship and none of the Quantum, Oasis or other Freedom class ships fit into our schedule at this time. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

My wife and I were on IOS just last week for a 7 day Eastern itinerary. Though I would imagine that most kids were in school at that time there were still plenty of children on the ship, many in the age groups you mentioned. You should find plenty of things to do and not feel out of place at all.

Our son who will turn 20 next month has been on 4 cruises with us Our first cruise was when he was 7, on Enchantment of the Seas he had a blast with the Adventure Ocean kids program Pirate night etc, We booked our cruises right after X-mas during the first week in January and there where a good amount of kids on board, lots of activities. The next cruise the following year was on Voyager of the seas and one of the crew members who worked with Adventure Ocean remembered our son, from the previous year, very nice. Our next two sailing where on Freedom and Liberty, on Freedom he was in the teenage age range he was 12 and on Liberty he was 14 and each time he had a blast, who wouldn't being on the largest cruise ship in the world at that time and being out of school also. We are sailing in Feb 8 on Independence and sine he is 20 he has aged out of the kids program, but will do his own things, So do not worry your kids will love it. rock climbing, florider, ice skating etc etc.

On independence right now with my son who is 10. He has made a few new friends onboard. Notice there are quite a few families but nowhere near as many as during summer sailings. One thing i have noticed is there a lot less high school aged children as most are in school. The teen club has at most 10 or so when i walk by. Don't worry as there will definitely be other families on board.

We were on the Indy that same week a couple of years ago without DS. There was a large group of retirees on the ship that week, but we saw several families as well. Most of the families had small children (not school age kids). There is plenty to do on the ship and in the ports. You will have a fabulous time :-)

Edited by mom2oneXY

I'm getting ready to sail on Sun with my 13 yr old. I'm hoping he makes a friend or too to keep him busy, as his brother is not joining us this trip. We too did the Breakaway in 2013...both kids loved it and I'm sure my son will love this one as well! I'll keep ya posted :)

Edited by cavemom

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I really appreciate it! And Cavemom-I'm looking forward to hearing how your trip went and how your son enjoyed it...it would be great if you could reply back here when you return and let me know, thanks!

Hi,

We were on Indy Oct 2014 and my boys were 6 and 12 at the time. Both of them had a wonderful time. We barely saw the 12 year old as he made friends quickly and was always busy doing something with them. It was a 12 night cruise to the canaries and we only got him off the ship once and under protest! He did scavenger hunts, table tennis, florider, computer game contests, sports etc.

The 6 year old was in the more supervised and led adventure ocean and was uncertain at first but did really take to it and had great fun. He still has a pillowcase he decorated there on his bed now. They had pyjama parties, watched movies, did a talent show, played lots of group games/sports, dressed as pirates and took over Sorrentos. The staff were amazing (in teens too).

It was term time when we were on the ship but there were plenty of families and lots to do for families too (not just the clubs). The climbing wall was a big favourite for my 6 year old son. We also loved sitting with him playing cards and scrabble and watching the waves in Seven Hearts (I think that's what it was called!)

The staff in the mdr were always keen to make my 6 year old son feel welcome too (the 12 year old never made it to dinner with us!). Making sure he liked his food and bringing more things for him if he didn't like something.

Overall it was a very special family holiday of a lifetime for us! I can say though, for those without kids, the ship is big enough, and varied enough that there are plenty of places to go where you just don't see kids. We would often have cocktails in peace in the afternoons when the children were busy at clubs.

Reminiscing has made me smile :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I really appreciate it! And Cavemom-I'm looking forward to hearing how your trip went and how your son enjoyed it...it would be great if you could reply back here when you return and let me know, thanks!

Well we are sad to be back but had a great time. The Indy is a beautiful ship and we have no complaints. My son rated it an 8.5...lol. said it would of been better had his cousins been with us like we had planned.

Unlike the Breakaway, there were way less kids and very few his age. He went several times to the teen lounge/activities but would come back saying there weren't any kids there. He did meet someone tho and hung out a few times here and there. Overall, there was still alot for him to do and he's not one to care that he's doing it with us...like the rock wall, flowrider, golf ect.

He enjoyed all the shows. Our waiter was great and he made my son smile every night. I think your kids will have a blast! If you have any other questions lmk.