San Pedro port to LAX - 11:30 flight

Javacruiser

Is an 11:30am flight on a Sunday too early for our Ruby Princess cruise? We have priority debark. All of our cruises have been out of Florida so we have never been to this cruise port or LAX. We currently have a 1:10pm flight with a connection..... we have an option for an 11:30 nonstop but don't want to take too large a risk of missing the flight. Thanks!

Keep the 1:10.

11:30 is doable but you just never know what our traffic will do. When I plan for traffic I get none. When I need no traffic, I encounter a traffic stop or SIG ALERT.

Is an 11:30am flight on a Sunday too early for our Ruby Princess cruise? We have priority debark. All of our cruises have been out of Florida so we have never been to this cruise port or LAX. We currently have a 1:10pm flight with a connection..... we have an option for an 11:30 nonstop but don't want to take too large a risk of missing the flight. Thanks!

Traffic is actually NOT the major variable here...

It is only 20 miles from the cruise terminal to LAX...takes about a half an hour. Even with the worst traffic, really no more than an hour. And, Sunday morning, traffic should not be all that bad...

Figure, for a domestic flight, if you do all the computer sign in and so forth, getting to LAX at least an hour before flight time should work...So, for an 11:30 am flight, you really should be there before 10:30...To be REALLY safe, call it 10:00...Figuring you get into a taxi or hired car at the cruise port by 9:00ish, you've got lots of extra time built in for both the traffic and any airport hassles (mainly dropping your luggage and security lines--and, having TSA pre-clearance helps a lot).

So, the REAL variable is getting off the ship and through customs...

Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's not...If you carry off your own luggage and get off the ship with an early group, then USUALLY, you can be in that taxi by 9:00...

I would usually tell people to try to get a flight after NOON...But, seriously, I don't think that 11:30 is that bad a risk...just don't do any of the things that slow you down...

Thank you for the replies. We will be flying Southwest and be checked in ahead of time. We will do self assist and pack light........ and if we take the earlier flight, I'll probably arrange for private transportation ahead of time. I've had delayed arrivals into port and customs issues before so I am realistic and know I will be taking some risk......... My biggest concern was that Princess recommends 12:30 or later and I've never used LAX......... or sailed out of the port. Both of your responses are helpful, especially since both of you are relatively local and have probably been through the experience. If I do the earlier flight (still not going to commit) and we miss it, my wife will tell me I should have listened to SadieN!

I would not do this. It is risky.

Things go wrong and I have seen them first hand.

One of several examples that I personally experienced. Long shore-refused to remove luggage from a ship at San Pedro because they smelled fuel. Finally they did but did it slowly. People were screaming and several missed flights. Another one was ship arriving later than expected to the port.

I would not do this.

Why spend half the cruise worrying about it.

Pick another flight later in the afternoon and enjoy the cruise.

Keith