Live blog From Anthem of the Seas Transatlantic

They do have excellent pizza but, keep in mind, you are in NYC- any place you stop for a slice is going to be better than the best pizza in most other places in the country!;) Carmines has excellent food. If you go and its packed, keep in mind the high top tables around the bar are first come, first served so you can hover around and grab one if need be.

I LOVE Carmine's. But be aware it's a lot of food for two people.

I want to add my thanks to all of the others for such a thorough job on this! Really helpful (even though I'm not booked on the Anthem). We are on Harmony next summer, so I'll make sure to have my list of questions ready for you!!!! Thanks again!!!

My play recommendation is Fun Home (since Hedwig closed - but it will be opening in London, see it there!).

I have lots of food suggestions but they're are all downtown, Lower East Side or Brooklyn. (like the best cupcakes anywhere, no not magnolia's :>)

Rush isn't new (student Rush has been around since I was in high school many moons ago!) but sometimes they are standing room only tickets so be aware. Not as cheap but Duffy Sq TKTS booth always has many shows at 1/2 price

Edited by conandrob240

Just a quick update as we've been crazy busy this afternoon.

The tickets we have got are for Avenue Q. If you've not seen it is a comedy musical show with puppets as the main characters, however, it is definitely not for children.

We went to the 911 memorial and museum, then went to the top of One World Observatory. You get to the 102nd floor in 60 seconds and you have 360 degree views. With it being such a clear day views were fantastic. We could even see Anthem from it but couldn't get a decent shot as its a fair distance away.

We though the views are better than what you get from Rockefeller or the Empire State.

Here is a quick pic of Manhattan.

3968a0b60927ea943a0548089b81b6b2.jpg

We didn't buy tickets in advance, as we weren't sure when or what times we would be getting there, but were able to buy tickets easily for both attractions on arrival.

We've also bought a couple of outfits for our dog, Stanley.

19f28c2b5003d3437e2a02ca8afd07ba.jpg

acbd010d9594e17444aa61460ca593c3.jpg

We got these from the 911 museum shop. They weren't cheap but we know the profits go to a good cause.

We've been getting round on the Subway which cost $11 for a card which covers us for 4 journeys which should be about right for what we will need. Much quicker than it took the taxi this morning to get through Manhattan.

We've dashed back to the hotel for a quick shower and and change before going back out to the show. The hotel has a bar on the roof which we will probably go to if we get chance as well.

We're still stuffed from lunch so not planning to eat before the show, although will probably grab something quick afterwards.

The plan for tomorrow is Liberty in the morning where we have Crown tickets, we want to go and see Grand Central station, then a bit of time for some shopping.

Rush isn't new (student Rush has been around since I was in high school many moons ago!) but sometimes they are standing room only tickets so be aware. Not as cheap but Duffy Sq TKTS booth always has many shows at 1/2 price

Even better now that you can do some ticket lotteries online. Today TIx app - just click a button and find out later in the day if you get cheap tickets. No putting your name in a hat or rushing the box office at all.

Just a quick update as we've been crazy busy this afternoon.

The tickets we have got are for Avenue Q. If you've not seen it is a comedy musical show with puppets as the main characters, however, it is definitely not for children.

We went to the 911 memorial and museum, then went to the top of One World Observatory. You get to the 102nd floor in 60 seconds and you have 360 degree views. With it being such a clear day views were fantastic. We could even see Anthem from it but couldn't get a decent shot as its a fair distance away.

We though the views are better than what you get from Rockefeller or the Empire State.

Here is a quick pic of Manhattan.

3968a0b60927ea943a0548089b81b6b2.jpg

We didn't buy tickets in advance, as we weren't sure when or what times we would be getting there, but were able to buy tickets easily for both attractions on arrival.

We've also bought a couple of outfits for our dog, Stanley.

19f28c2b5003d3437e2a02ca8afd07ba.jpg

acbd010d9594e17444aa61460ca593c3.jpg

We got these from the 911 museum shop. They weren't cheap but we know the profits go to a good cause.

We've been getting round on the Subway which cost $11 for a card which covers us for 4 journeys which should be about right for what we will need. Much quicker than it took the taxi this morning to get through Manhattan.

We've dashed back to the hotel for a quick shower and and change before going back out to the show. The hotel has a bar on the roof which we will probably go to if we get chance as well.

We're still stuffed from lunch so not planning to eat before the show, although will probably grab something quick afterwards.

The plan for tomorrow is Liberty in the morning where we have Crown tickets, we want to go and see Grand Central station, then a bit of time for some shopping.

I can't believe you are going to get to visit the Statue in Nipivember and have the weather you are going to have tomorrow! You lucked out!

I can't believe you are going to get to visit the Statue in Nipivember and have the weather you are going to have tomorrow! You lucked out!

CruisenovicesUK ~ Thank you again for the wonderful Blog. I've never read one before, but found myself wanting to sign on my computer as often as I could to see what new info you and your OH had for us. I also loved the videos and pics of you two you posted, so we could put a face to the names. I truly felt like I was on this cruise with you guys!

Enjoy NYC, It's great weather outside, so it will make walking around pleasant to see all your sights.

Have safe travels back home.

Tonight we went to Avenue Q, it was a great show and made us laugh a lot, although getting up at 3am for the sail in has been a killer tonight.

We ended up grabbing a quick bite on the way back at Shake Shack. We have never been there before as there's normally a massive queue although it wasn't too bad tonight so we decided to go. Shake Shack has started to open in the UK now but there are none near we live.

7f87a8a3f0860578df76508aa0de24ac.jpg

f4d446707e2f447fc8ac37e2a1127458.jpg

68c6c1a60f968bc921ab1138effda250.jpg

The burgers were great and much better than a McDonalds.

We went for a quick drink at the roof bar on level 22 at the hotel which has great views of the Empire State Building.

We've got another early start on the morning so we can fit as much as possible in before our flight home tomorrow night.

Edited by CruisenovicesUK

Thanks for a wonderful review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your daily adventures.

It's interesting how different a cruise day can be when the weather isn't the greatest.

Sometimes, those turn out to be the best days of all as you actually get to relax and just do nothing.:D

Enjoy the rest of your stay in New York and safe travels home!

Edited by Shar27

CruisenovicesUK ~ Thank you again for the wonderful Blog. I've never read one before, but found myself wanting to sign on my computer as often as I could to see what new info you and your OH had for us. I also loved the videos and pics of you two you posted, so we could put a face to the names. I truly felt like I was on this cruise with you guys!

Enjoy NYC, It's great weather outside, so it will make walking around pleasant to see all your sights.

Have safe travels back home.

I felt the way. Enjoying life and sharing with us all. Thanks again.

Today is our 2nd and last day in New York.

This morning it was another early start as we had tickets for Crown access to the Statue of Liberty at 9am.

On our way to the Subway we stopped for breakfast at a great place called Cafe Metro. The pancakes were cooked to order and were amazing.

d54fbc8cafd02de5d303a18f47393172.jpg

We had a walk through Grand Central which was fab then on to the Subway. This was very much an experience at 8am and packed like sardines was an under statement. Not the most pleasant of rides down to Bowling!Green.

We had ordered our tickets over 3 months in advance for Liberty and had to collect these in person at Battery Park.

There was a bit of queue for the ferry and after passing through security and boarding the boat, we got to Liberty Island around 09:45. As we have been tight on time today we progressed straight to the area where you access the pedestal / crown. As we got there early there was no queue and we were required to put all bags in a locker which has a $2 charge. We then had to proceed through another security check before entering the tower.

There are 354 steps from the base of the statue to the top. The first 192 take you up the the pedestal level and the remaining to the crown.

The climb up to the pedestal was fine as the stairways are fairly wide but once you start climbing to the crown it becomes harder and most of which is on a very narrow spiral staircase

8c73b74f5a5c04e51349e7bf78d75d75.jpg

My OH doesn't really like enclosed spaces, so it was a challenge. If you are claustrophobic you may want to reconsider going to the Crown. The stairs are really tight and have limited headroom at parts, so if you are tall or a larger build it will add to the challenge.

At the top I was surprised how small the crown is and had expected to this to be larger. You could probably fit a dozen people in max.

51dc38f73d731ea7dc2704c0897731d9.jpg

81d268291ffb5055abca026f5609a616.jpg

There is a separate staircase to go down, again it spiral as its a double helix staircase but at least you don't run into people going the other way as there would be no way to get past.

It was a great experience and something we feel lucky to have been able to do.

When we returned to collect our items from the locker it was much busier and a significant queue had formed. Therefore, I would suggest going as early as possible if you want to avoid the queues.

This was such a great read and I only just found it. I'm from Melbourne, Australia and will be on Anthem on 3 Jan. Seeing all the photos etc has made me really excited. I do hope that you managed to get some time to yourself to enjoy!!!!

This was such a great read and I only just found it. I'm from Melbourne, Australia and will be on Anthem on 3 Jan. Seeing all the photos etc has made me really excited. I do hope that you managed to get some time to yourself to enjoy!!!!

We are booked for January as well. We were booked on Nov. 10 but had to change due to illness.

Thank You so much for this Blog CruisenovicesUK!

I was just at Cape Liberty on Sunday , disembarking Liberty of the seas. I will be on Anthem in March. Loved seeing your Transatlantic (I love them) through a newbie's eyes. Glad you and your OH had a good time , despite the weather.

I was taking a "Mental health" Day from work and found your thread. I have spent the entire afternoon reading it. Safe travels home for you and my Jazzy wants send her regards to Stanley the Schnauzer. Before I got Jazz ( a Russell Terrier) I had a Mini Schnauzer. They are wonderful Dogs. Hey, Stanley will love the new NYPD/NYFD Jackets. I think Jazz might as well. I need to go and get one of those for her.

Denise

Edited by DKNYC
Doggie Attire

This is the last post on NYC before I go back and fill in the gaps from the boat.

After Liberty this morning we went shopping and then to Carmines for lunch. The food was really good, and a great atmosphere. The service wasn't brilliant unfortunately but the waitress apologised up front to say she was new which was why she couldn't confirm what was in the mixed dishes. It was also slow but everyone has to learn so we fine with this.

I've only got a picture of the starter (Hot Antipasti) as the waiter served the main before I had chance to get a shot.

cde394ee940530c1eb060903dcf0baf7.jpg

For mains we had the meatballs and penne. As it was lunchtime there were specials on which included the meatballs with a smaller than standard portion. We are so glad it was smaller as it was still huge and we couldn't eat it all, especially after the huge starter.

We managed to fit a bit more shopping in before we left for the airport. With it being rush hour it took around 1 1/4 hours to get to JFK from Midtown, but I used this as an opportunity for a quick power nap as sleep is not something we have had much of over the last few days.

Check in at the airport was a breeze with no queue and security only took 15 minutes. Fight is scheduled on time, so fingers crossed.

The flight time is due to be around 6 1/2 hours back to Gatwick, where our car is left, which is slightly different to the 8 days sailing to get here. However, we both agree we would much rather be sailing back on the Anthem.

Thanks so much for posting Vintages, I can hardly wait to enjoy some wine there. I love the concept of being able to try the various wines. Your posts are covering everything I wanted to know about. I appreciate and enjoy all your posts. Do you know if they had any wine tastings?

Hi mstuba

Sorry I don't think I replied to this. There are wine tasting sessions at Vintages and these are advertised in the Cruise Compass. They are chargeable but I'm not sure on the cost I'm afraid as we didn't go to any of them. We just did our wine tasting sessions but by the full glass :-)

I should have asked this while you were on board, but maybe you noticed. Are there still retractable clotheslines in the shower? I heard/read somewhere that there were not.

Hi, no there are no clothes line in the shower. This would have been really handy especially when trying to dry swim shorts and stuff.

Have a nice time in NY!!!! I'm planning for the Harmony TA for next year and was wondering: how did you manage the time change on board and once in Us?? Are you feeling some short of jet lag?

Enjoy every minute of New York!!!!!

Ciao

Saskia

Inviato dal mio SM-J100H utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi Saskia

The time changes worked out well for us. Unlike flying where we would have got a 5 hour time change in one hit, the clocks went back by one hour a night over 5 of the 8 nights of the cruise. This worked really well as it meant an extra hour in bed each night. So we arrived in New York in the correct time zone so no jet lag.

If you were doing the TA the other way you would lose a sleep on 5 nights which would probably be the harder way to do it.