Coki Beach

LuCruise

A few questions

1. Does it give you the 'wow' in terms of prettiness?
  2. Is it sandy or rocky?
  3. Will it be super crowded if 2 ships in port?
  4. What are the waves like? i.e. calm, rough, in the middle
  5. If we're not into snorkelling, is it still a good choice? (One main factor for selecting the beach is that Coral World is near by. So we can go there if our kids have had enough beach time)

Thanks.

Does it give you the 'wow' in terms of prettiness?

Is it sandy or rocky?

Will it be super crowded if 2 ships in port?

What are the waves like? i.e. calm, rough, in the middle

If we're not into snorkelling, is it still a good choice? (One main factor for selecting the beach is that Coral World is near by. So we can go there if our kids have had enough beach time)

1 'Wow'- your wow factor is yours alone but it is a very nice beach

2 Sandy?- yes

3 Super Crowded- it could be but 2 ships are not a large number but they could be very large ships

4 Waves- depends on the day but usually calm

5 Not into snorkeling- Its still a nice beach but there are better if you don't snorkel, but the others don't have Coral World.

Does it give you the 'wow' in terms of prettiness?

Is it sandy or rocky?

Will it be super crowded if 2 ships in port?

What are the waves like? i.e. calm, rough, in the middle

If we're not into snorkelling, is it still a good choice? (One main factor for selecting the beach is that Coral World is near by. So we can go there if our kids have had enough beach time)

1 'Wow'- your wow factor is yours alone but it is a very nice beach

2 Sandy?- yes

3 Super Crowded- it could be but 2 ships are not a large number but they could be very large ships

4 Waves- depends on the day but usually calm

5 Not into snorkeling- Its still a nice beach but there are better if you don't snorkel, but the others don't have Coral World.

For #2, it's our ship, the Allure and the Carnival Splendor.

For #5 - That's our delima. I guess our other option is Magens or Emerald, but am not sure we'd want to spend more than say 2hrs just on the beach.

Edited by LuCruise

For #2, it's our ship, the Allure and the Carnival Splendor.

For #5 - That's our delima. I guess our other option is Magens or Emerald, but am not sure we'd want to spend more than say 2hrs just on the beach.

The East End beaches of Coki, Lindqvist, Sapphire, & Secret Harbor are all gorgeous. Coki can be very lively or not so much with 2 ships in port. But Coki is definitely a gorgeous beach and a great choice for the kids, especially with Coral World right there.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is a nice beach as well (not of the same character but nice) and because it's home to the Best Western it's more of a hotel experience with the amenities there. So convenient if docked at nearby Crown Bay.

But yes, Coki has the pretty factor!

The East End beaches of Coki, Lindqvist, Sapphire, & Secret Harbor are all gorgeous. Coki can be very lively or not so much with 2 ships in port. But Coki is definitely a gorgeous beach and a great choice for the kids, especially with Coral World right there.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is a nice beach as well (not of the same character but nice) and because it's home to the Best Western it's more of a hotel experience with the amenities there. So convenient if docked at nearby Crown Bay.

But yes, Coki has the pretty factor!

Thanks for the feedback. I assume there aren't tons of fish in your way if you want to swim of just play in the water? (i.e. since people keep saying it's good for snorkelling)

people tend to feed the fish at Coki and that obviously attracts them...but you'll find ample swimming areas at any of the beaches mentioned

Thanks. I think my little one may be a bit scared if swarmed by fish while trying to go in the water.

But who knows...perhaps we'll pick up a cheap snorkel as that could be fun for them too.

Thanks. I think my little one may be a bit scared if swarmed by fish while trying to go in the water.

But who knows...perhaps we'll pick up a cheap snorkel as that could be fun for them too.

When we were there....

There were not a LOT of fish in the water where you first enter. In waist deep water, there were some silver fish swimming around but you can see where they are. Much farther out, especially on the right near Coral World there were a lot of fish but that was water 6 feet and deeper. On another cruise stop in Mexico, my son (age 8 at the time) was a little nervous about fish swimming around him thinking they were going to bite him (they didn't.....). At Coki Beach, he was 9 and he had a great time snorkeling out in the deeper water). It really helped us both to buy our own snorkel masks and tubes at home and practice snorkeling in a swimming pool (outdoor or indoor). Easy after a little practice. Especially for a kid, it was helpful to have a mask that was good quality and fit his face well. We went to a scuba shop to purchase. a life vest or snorkel inflatable also will help. we rented a life vest there because it made it easier for our son to save his energy, full with his mask, etc. and stay floating. Can't dive with it on obviously. They did have rental stuff there masks, tubes, vests but not much especially since there were a lot of people when we were there. It really made a difference to practice in a pool first (for him and me).

Edited by SeaWatcher65

When we were there....

There were not a LOT of fish in the water where you first enter. In waist deep water, there were some silver fish swimming around but you can see where they are. Much farther out, especially on the right near Coral World there were a lot of fish but that was water 6 feet and deeper. On another cruise stop in Mexico, my son (age 8 at the time) was a little nervous about fish swimming around him thinking they were going to bite him (they didn't.....). At Coki Beach, he was 9 and he had a great time snorkeling out in the deeper water). It really helped us both to buy our own snorkel masks and tubes at home and practice snorkeling in a swimming pool (outdoor or indoor). Easy after a little practice. Especially for a kid, it was helpful to have a mask that was good quality and fit his face well. We went to a scuba shop to purchase. a life vest or snorkel inflatable also will help. we rented a life vest there because it made it easier for our son to save his energy, full with his mask, etc. and stay floating. Can't dive with it on obviously. They did have rental stuff there masks, tubes, vests but not much especially since there were a lot of people when we were there. It really made a difference to practice in a pool first (for him and me).

Thanks. This helps get an idea. I'm wondering too how my daughter, who will be 6.5 when we go..how she'll do with the fish. We're not snorkelers and have no where around to 'practice'. I guess when we tell them about our upcomming trip, we can discuss our beach options (e.g. Coki or Magens ) and decide from there.

Thanks. This helps get an idea. I'm wondering too how my daughter, who will be 6.5 when we go..how she'll do with the fish. We're not snorkelers and have no where around to 'practice'. I guess when we tell them about our upcomming trip, we can discuss our beach options (e.g. Coki or Magens ) and decide from there.

I'm not a snorkeler either but it was fun. We had our masks and tubes and just floated on the surface of the water. I really wished we had practiced BEFORE. This summer, we practiced in a swimming pool and I realized how easy it is to use the snorkel tube, dive under water and come back up without getting water in the tube. I suggested scuba shops to get help with a fit and to make sure you get a tube with a one-way valve. We learned on our own. So, I'm ready for the next trip.

I'd love to go to Magens and rent a kayak (they have 2 people kayaks too) but really want to snorkel again. And reports are there's not much to see at Magens if snorkeling -- although photos look beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

we have been to coki twice, first time last December and again this past june with 20 inlaws. when walking onto the beach, to right will be towards coral world and a coral reef that juts out to deeper water. this is where the majority of the fish congregate. there will be snorkelers and people just wading into the water to see the fish. the snorkel rental shops provide with rental, dog biscuits to the feed the fish while you are in the water. you can wade right in say to 3 or 4ft and be surrounded by fish.

if you when you walk onto the beach and go the left, there wont be much fish to see. but the entire beach is excellent for swimming

Magens has sea life. I have seen turtles and a variety of fish just walking the shore. Some fish swam into me once when I was standing in the water and scared me to death because I wasn't expecting it. There's always something in every body of water.

we have been to coki twice, first time last December and again this past june with 20 inlaws. when walking onto the beach, to right will be towards coral world and a coral reef that juts out to deeper water. this is where the majority of the fish congregate. there will be snorkelers and people just wading into the water to see the fish. the snorkel rental shops provide with rental, dog biscuits to the feed the fish while you are in the water. you can wade right in say to 3 or 4ft and be surrounded by fish.

if you when you walk onto the beach and go the left, there wont be much fish to see. but the entire beach is excellent for swimming

This is good to know. So if we want to swim without fish (as I do wonder if the fish will scare my younger one), then we should go to the left.

OP here...I'm reading recent reviews on tripadvisor and there are comments about the smell of 'things' that are not kid-friendly (or personally adult friendly). Do I need to be concerned about this? Not so sure I want to bring my kids there.

Edited by LuCruise

Coki has a lively vibe and you may get an occasional whiff (if you're lucky :p) but nothing to be concerned about - just enjoy the beach and water! :)

Magens Bay is a beautiful beach if you just want that environment, it is part of the US National Park system so nice restrooms, etc. The beach is sandy and there are some grassy areas offshore where there may be an occasional sea turtle. Magens Bay is the perfect horseshoe beach you see in many St. Thomas photos.

But I go to Coki by myself every time I'm in St. Thomas and have never felt uncomfortable there. They've built a wonderful restroom there, there are multiple bars/restaurants along the beach should you want something to eat or drink, a couple of little buildings with t-shirts, waterproof cameras, sunscreen, etc. There will be people there to rent you loungers if you need them. They're inexpensive. And as others have said when you first get in the water it's all sandy bottom and not that many fish. It's a pretty long beach, the farther away from the main entrance you go, the fewer people there are. It will be busy but not crowded with only 2 ships. And there's no problem getting taxis there and back to cruise ship port.

Coki is a small bay, very intimate when we are there alone in the evening. Magens is a much larger bay and is quite crowded in the main area where the rentals and drinks are available. But a nice walkable beach if you don't mind the crowds.

You will see small schools of very small fish near the shoreline at any beach but nothing that would be concerning.

Thanks for the replies. We're leaning towards Coki because of the advantage of having Coral World nearby. We're not snorkelers, so good to hear that the water is mostly fish-free near the shore and the sand is soft.

From what I've read on here, other options are....

Megans, with main downside being the crowds (but perhaps won't feel any less crowded than Coki). This is currently our backup option with amenities and being beautiful and kid friendly.

Sapphire sounds nice, but have heard the waves get tough and it can be rocky.

Lindqvist sounds lovely but I think we prefer the amenities.

Emerald sounds ok, but if going to St Thomas, would love to experience one of their truly beautiful beaches.

Thanks for the replies. We're leaning towards Coki because of the advantage of having Coral World nearby. We're not snorkelers, so good to hear that the water is mostly fish-free near the shore and the sand is soft.

From what I've read on here, other options are....

Megans, with main downside being the crowds (but perhaps won't feel any less crowded than Coki). This is currently our backup option with amenities and being beautiful and kid friendly.

Sapphire sounds nice, but have heard the waves get tough and it can be rocky.

Lindqvist sounds lovely but I think we prefer the amenities.

Emerald sounds ok, but if going to St Thomas, would love to experience one of their truly beautiful beaches.

St Thomas offers an ideal beach for everyone! :)

About how long a cab ride from the cruise port to coki beach?

Also, can cabs accommodate car seats here? If so, when I got to the beach, where would I put the car seat - my our lounge chair?

If we forgo car seats, will a cab take us still with two little ones?

About how long a cab ride from the cruise port to coki beach?

Also, can cabs accommodate car seats here? If so, when I got to the beach, where would I put the car seat - my our lounge chair?

If we forgo car seats, will a cab take us still with two little ones?

20 - 30 min depending on where you are docked, you can take a van taxi without a child seat if that works for you.

We will be in port at 11:00 am and there will be three ships in before us, 2 at 8:00 am and the Oasis of the Seas in at 10:00 am. I would like to go to Coki and Coral World to do the shark swim. I'm thinking Coki will be very crowded when I get there around 1:00 (island time). The shark swim is at 3:00. Neither of these is a "must do" for me. Am I going to regret doing this with three ships in port :confused: Maybe skip above and just go to another beach for a few hours?? We are two adults age 55 and 63, need beach loungers and some snorkeling.....any suggestions welcome.

I would skip the shark swim and forget Coral World. It did not look exciting... I saw people doing it... kind of like a swimming pool with people standing in waist deep water with some sharks... boring.... I would go straight to Coki Beach. Coral World is a few steps away if you really want to go and look around. We went to Coki on what could possibly be the most crowded conditions. Wall to Wall rental chairs but completely uncrowded to the left of that area and uncrowded in the water. Great snorkeling -- we brought our own masks and snorkel tubes. Lots of colorful fish and didn't need fins 'cause did not have to swim far. Drinks and food brought to you on the beach. My biggest regret --- not getting the red snapper which was $24 but I was not hungry. Most of the food and drinks were very reasonably priced -- fries, burgers, hot dogs, tropical drinks, etc.

Also, don't push the time because the taxi driver told us traffic can back up when everyone is trying to get back to the cruise ships. We left Coki about 2:30pm and traffic was already backing up when we wanted to be back by 4pm (2 hours before sail away). We were back well before 4pm. When you take a taxi to Coral World, I would just ask the driver what's a good time to head back to the ship and tell them the latest you want to get back to ship.

We will be in port at 11:00 am and there will be three ships in before us, 2 at 8:00 am and the Oasis of the Seas in at 10:00 am. I would like to go to Coki and Coral World to do the shark swim. I'm thinking Coki will be very crowded when I get there around 1:00 (island time). The shark swim is at 3:00. Neither of these is a "must do" for me. Am I going to regret doing this with three ships in port :confused: Maybe skip above and just go to another beach for a few hours?? We are two adults age 55 and 63, need beach loungers and some snorkeling.....any suggestions welcome.
Edited by SeaWatcher65

I would skip the shark swim and forget Coral World. It did not look exciting... I saw people doing it... kind of like a swimming pool with people standing in waist deep water with some sharks... boring.... I would go straight to Coki Beach. Coral World is a few steps away if you really want to go and look around. We went to Coki on what could possibly be the most crowded conditions. Wall to Wall rental chairs but completely uncrowded to the left of that area and uncrowded in the water. Great snorkeling -- we brought our own masks and snorkel tubes. Lots of colorful fish and didn't need fins 'cause did not have to swim far. Drinks and food brought to you on the beach. My biggest regret --- not getting the red snapper which was $24 but I was not hungry. Most of the food and drinks were very reasonably priced -- fries, burgers, hot dogs, tropical drinks, etc.

Also, don't push the time because the taxi driver told us traffic can back up when everyone is trying to get back to the cruise ships. We left Coki about 2:30pm and traffic was already backing up when we wanted to be back by 4pm (2 hours before sail away). We were back well before 4pm. When you take a taxi to Coral World, I would just ask the driver what's a good time to head back to the ship and tell them the latest you want to get back to ship.

This is helpful feedback. Very good to know about leaving plenty of buffer time for the taxi ride back.

Also, great to hear that even when it was busy, there was an uncrowded area to the left.