Voom Internet access

larhode

I'm currently on the Allure doing a trans Atlantic crossing. I signed up for the new unlimited wireless internet system they call voom. Its amazing! So fast I am able to stream video and make phone calls using skype and talkatone. Last night we watched the world series live via streaming video, worked great! Phone calls are clear as a bell too. Even after we lost satelite television the internet is still strong with no speed reduction. Cruise director says it will work all the way across the pond. At $15 per day for unlimited access its worth the cost.

Good to know. The Quantum class ships use this same service? I'd like to be able to use apps to communicate with my family back home, without paying an arm and leg to use the ships phones.

Edited by AndyT3

Good to know. The Quantum class ships use this same service? I'd like to be able to use apps to communicate with my family back home, without paying an arm and leg to use the ships phones.

Its available on all Quantum and Oasis class ships now, and will be expanded to lther ships in time.

• 4 weeks later...
When I first get on ship I am not that interested in using Internet. But toward the end it comes in handy. So if I decide to purchase Voom on Day 4 do I still pay for day 1-3 or just the days left?

Just for the days left if you purchase part way through the cruise. But if you purchase at the start of the cruise you have to buy for every day that's left i.e. you can't buy at the start and opt for only a few days.

When I first get on ship I am not that interested in using Internet. But toward the end it comes in handy. So if I decide to purchase Voom on Day 4 do I still pay for day 1-3 or just the days left?

You would pay just for the days left, though the price per day may or may not be the same as it was on day 1.

I'm currently on the Allure doing a trans Atlantic crossing. I signed up for the new unlimited wireless internet system they call voom. Its amazing! So fast I am able to stream video and make phone calls using skype and talkatone. Last night we watched the world series live via streaming video, worked great! Phone calls are clear as a bell too. Even after we lost satelite television the internet is still strong with no speed reduction. Cruise director says it will work all the way across the pond. At $15 per day for unlimited access its worth the cost.

I just read online that Voom doesn't work during Transatlantic crossings - which would be a serious problem as we are doing a TA on Harmony in Oct and I need to be in touch with the outside world. But your post has given me hope! Was anything mentioned about this on board, or did it just work as normal? I just wondered if maybe they can't guarantee it, so they say that to warn people, but actually it does work at least some of the time? Thank you!

I just read online that Voom doesn't work during Transatlantic crossings - which would be a serious problem as we are doing a TA on Harmony in Oct and I need to be in touch with the outside world. But your post has given me hope! Was anything mentioned about this on board, or did it just work as normal? I just wondered if maybe they can't guarantee it, so they say that to warn people, but actually it does work at least some of the time? Thank you!

It worked perfectly all the way across the ocean. They were selling internet packages the first day, if they expected it wouldn't work, I doubt they would of been pushing people to buy. There was no warning or mention that it might not work all the way across. We did have a break in service for a few hours when they switched from the European to North American Satelite, but we were told to expect it. I think it was down for about 4 hours one morning as they made the switch.

I'm booked on the Harmony crossing too, guess we will see what happens. I can tell you that having high speed unlimited service 24/7 made the crossing a very different experience from others I've done. I could make and recieve voice phone calls back home for free at any time.

It worked perfectly all the way across the ocean. They were selling internet packages the first day, if they expected it wouldn't work, I doubt they would of been pushing people to buy. There was no warning or mention that it might not work all the way across. We did have a break in service for a few hours when they switched from the European to North American Satelite, but we were told to expect it. I think it was down for about 4 hours one morning as they made the switch.

I'm booked on the Harmony crossing too, guess we will see what happens. I can tell you that having high speed unlimited service 24/7 made the crossing a very different experience from others I've done. I could make and recieve voice phone calls back home for free at any time.

Thank you, that's great to know! Really helpful. It will certainly make a difference on a TA.

I don't know where you read that, but it isn't true. We were on the Anthem TA, 8 days, no ports. VOOM worked across the pond.

The one "glitch" we experienced, and which RCI doesn't tell you about in advance, is that the wi fi will not work well (or at all) in some cabins. Like ours. When I called about this on board, the "communications" guy told me there's one router for every five cabins, so depending on where you are, you could have a problem. He suggested I "step into the hall." :eek: (They wound up refunding 20% of what we'd paid.) Normally, I'd be totally unplugged on a cruise, but this time I had to be available to my office.

VOOM worked fine in the public areas.

Enjoy your crossing!

I don't know where you read that, but it isn't true. We were on the Anthem TA, 8 days, no ports. VOOM worked across the pond.

The one "glitch" we experienced, and which RCI doesn't tell you about in advance, is that the wi fi will not work well (or at all) in some cabins. Like ours. When I called about this on board, the "communications" guy told me there's one router for every five cabins, so depending on where you are, you could have a problem. He suggested I "step into the hall." :eek: (They wound up refunding 20% of what we'd paid.) Normally, I'd be totally unplugged on a cruise, but this time I had to be available to my office.

Enjoy your crossing!

Thanks :-) Hopefully they will put in a few more routers on Harmony. I've done Oasis, Allure, Anthem and Quantum (though not a TA) and never had a problem with wi-fi in the cabin, so fingers crossed!

Enjoy your crossing!

I believe the correct term is "access point", not router.

Quantum (though not a TA) and never had a problem with wi-fi in the cabin, so fingers crossed!

Good thing you were not on the Quantum TA - VOOM didn't work on that till we got close to NY on day 7.Yes, it should work all the way across but don't bank on it being available 24/7.

He was probably using a term he though would be familiar to non-professionals.

What makes you think that he is wrong? Many access points provide routing. Odds are that if you are using a wireless connection from you home ISP then it is providing both access and routing. Are you an IT professional? Network design is often complex with both routers and access points -- especially something as complex as a cruise ship.

What makes you think that he is wrong? Many access points provide routing. Odds are that if you are using a wireless connection from you home ISP then it is providing both access and routing. Are you an IT professional? Network design is often complex with both routers and access points -- especially something as complex as a cruise ship.

I am at IT professional, and install wireless systems. I've been in the IT server rooms on the ships and see what equipment they have. They don't use equipment designed for home use.

Then I'm sure you understand that access points almost always provide routing fuctions when there is guest access within a secure business environment. Guests are usually forced on to a sub-net so they won't access the businesses primary network -- which is why access points must route between the many subnets.

Then I'm sure you understand that access points almost always provide routing fuctions when there is guest access within a secure business environment. Guests are usually forced on to a sub-net so they won't access the businesses primary network -- which is why access points must route between the many subnets.

No, the Wireless Lan Controller does the routing, not the AP.