Melbourne Embarkation

MargoK

Now that the Golden Princess is based this season in Melbourne I will be interested in experiences of passengers embarking and disembarking.

Main reason for the question is we are cruising on the Christmas/New Year sailing and we will be using a WAT (Wheelchair Accessible Taxi). We are staying overnight pre-cruise so will go directly from the hotel to the port and then we will have a Taxi met us on disembarkation to go start to the airport.

I have yet to make our reservations for the WAT, so some prior knowledge would be helpful when making our bookings.

Embarkation is scheduled to be from 12.30pm - 3.30pm (would be nice to be on board for lunch if we can :)).

Disembarkation - arrival time is 7.00am we plan to be off as soon as possible. On both our cruises arriving in Auckland we were the first passengers (literally) to disembark - second time even the Agriculture staff were not ready for us :eek:

Now that the Golden Princess is based this season in Melbourne I will be interested in experiences of passengers embarking and disembarking.

Main reason for the question is we are cruising on the Christmas/New Year sailing and we will be using a WAT (Wheelchair Accessible Taxi). We are staying overnight pre-cruise so will go directly from the hotel to the port and then we will have a Taxi met us on disembarkation to go start to the airport.

I have yet to make our reservations for the WAT, so some prior knowledge would be helpful when making our bookings.

Embarkation is scheduled to be from 12.30pm - 3.30pm (would be nice to be on board for lunch if we can :)).

Disembarkation - arrival time is 7.00am we plan to be off as soon as possible. On both our cruises arriving in Auckland we were the first passengers (literally) to disembark - second time even the Agriculture staff were not ready for us :eek:

i havent embarked or disembarked in Melbourne but going by the Sydney cruises wheel chair passengers are one of the first onboard with embarking between 11.30-12 noon and disembarking if the ships on time wheel chair passenger have to meet in a special lounge and disembarkment starts about 7.30am so if you book the return taxi by 8am you should be ok

if you have a mobile for the return trip so you can keep in touch with the driver if you get any problems getting off the ship

Our disembarkation from the Golden went very smoothly on Friday, though it was a little late due to the welcome curtains fanfare.

We were one of the first groups off, and carried our own bags, so this probably helped a lot. It was also a domestic cruise so no immigration and customs at the end.

We were asked to wait in the Explorer's lounge which was a) hot and stuffy and b) had no mobile reception even when tied up at the pier. I've learned my lesson and will hang around in my cabin or on an outside deck a bit longer next time and only move to the lounge at the last possible minute, and after I've contacted my ride home.

Sarah...or anyone else with info,

We have a port stop in Melbourne on the Voyager, I have stopped there a couple of times before and we have jumped on a tram to go into the city. That was before wyki was in place.

Do they sell Wyki cards at the port? are they top up cards?

I am thinking as we are with Mum and Dad it will be easier to grab a taxi this time, are there plenty available at the port? I didn't take any notice last time.

We just plan to take the Melbourne Shuttle ($10, 15 stops) and do loop, Dad doesn't walk far these days. We have done the Shuttle bus before when it was free.

Thanks for any info

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

Sarah...or anyone else with info,

We have a port stop in Melbourne on the Voyager, I have stopped there a couple of times before and we have jumped on a tram to go into the city. That was before wyki was in place.

Do they sell Wyki cards at the port? are they top up cards?

I am thinking as we are with Mum and Dad it will be easier to grab a taxi this time, are there plenty available at the port? I didn't take any notice last time.

We just plan to take the Melbourne Shuttle ($10, 15 stops) and do loop, Dad doesn't walk far these days. We have done the Shuttle bus before when it was free.

Thanks for any info

Chez

For cruise passengers, Myki can be purchased at the Beacon Cove IGA supermarket beside the Port Melbourne tram stop across from Station Pier.

Visitor Packs may be available at a counter setup inside the cruise terminal. The 109 is the only route at Station Pier and takes you into the CBD. Take the 109 back from Collins St heading to Port Melbourne.

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Melbourne

I think the shuttle bus charges now. But all the trams once you get into the city are free. But beware they are crowded especially at lunchtimes.

For cruise passengers, Myki can be purchased at the Beacon Cove IGA supermarket beside the Port Melbourne tram stop across from Station Pier.

Visitor Packs may be available at a counter setup inside the cruise terminal. The 109 is the only route at Station Pier and takes you into the CBD. Take the 109 back from Collins St heading to Port Melbourne.

I think the shuttle bus charges now. But all the trams once you get into the city are free. But beware they are crowded especially at lunchtimes.

What about if I want a Styki before I take the Myki? :confused:

Don't worry I'll Wiki it! :D

:cool: r :p

Thanks Sarah, first time we stopped at Melbourne a few years ago everyone got on the tram, no one paid:eek: then a couple of years later we got a tram pass.

Will see how busy it all is, we plan to do this http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/visitors/transport/shuttle/Pages/VisitorShuttle.aspx

Done it before a few times when it was free, might be better than crowded trams! Dad will be happy to see it all from a seat on a bus.

thanks

Chez

Visitor packs have always been sold at the counter in the terminal when I've been there, including a couple of days ago. I'd expect they do it for all arrivals.

Regarding taxis, they do have a stand at the port, but there's often a long queue of people waiting and few taxis. I think you'd need to be lucky to get one quickly there.

I think ship shuttles, or public transport if you're willing to get the myki, are the better ways to go.

Thanks for all your input.

I should clarify - I am asking in relation to STARTING and ENDING a cruise in Melbourne.

My question is to the time frames for dropping of luggage and embarkation, then disembarkation and collection of luggage

I have been on cruises which has had Melbourne as a PORT OF CALL, so am familiar with options for visitors.

I should clarify - I am asking in relation to STARTING and ENDING a cruise in Melbourne.

My question is to the time frames for dropping of luggage and embarkation, then disembarkation and collection of luggage

I have been on cruises which has had Melbourne as a PORT OF CALL, so am familiar with options for visitors.

My apologies MargoK, I asked the question re transportation to save starting a new thread as it was related to getting off at Melbourne.

Some of your questions have variables. It would depend on the ship being cleared by Customs in a timely manner. Also for boarding depends on whether people show up at their alloted time or turn up when they feel like it. As for dropping off luggage. That part is easy and normally no waiting time as there is personnel to take your luggage straight away.

My experience getting on and off the ship in Melbourne that it was fairly quick. i.e boarding and disembarking. This was with Princess Cruises.

i answered your question in post # 2 and Melbourne should be similar to Sydney

But all the trams once you get into the city are free

Thats not quite correct.

The FREE CITY CIRCLE tram is free, they operate around a closed loop

they are usually brown in colour, sometimes green , but you must get on a tram thats marked as CITY CIRCLE, other trams operate on the same track and you need a myki, also there is a section of the CBD where trams are free, for example along Swanston st between Flinders st and Latrobe sts that section is free, but beware if you travel to the next stop outside these areas you need a myki , the tram stops are marked with tiny signs to tell you the free sections.

Edited by 6666oz

I'm sorry 6666oz but your information is out of date.

All trams in the CBD area are now free and have been for some time. This applies north-south from Victoria St to the Arts Centre, and from Spring St and through Docklands.

The free area is clearly marked at tram stops and here's a map:

https://ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/Images/maps/Network-maps/PTV_FreeTramZone_Map.pdf

Not all trams in the "City" are free, which is what the poster said.

What I said is correct if you go one stop outside the CBD free area you need a myki, and other trams pass through the free area which you need a myki to travel on if you start your trip outside the free area , then pass through the free area, then continue on the charged sections. If the free city circle tram now travels within the new extended free area, then I stand corrected.

Your map also shows what I said is correct, about it being free to travel along Swanston st from Flinders st to Latrobe st being free, go outside that area and you need a myki, the signs at the stops that indicate the free sections are too small to see from a crowded tram

Edited by 6666oz

Every time we have taken the free City Circle Tram it has been very crowded. Hard to see where you are. Forget sightseeing from it , but excellent to get around and use as a Hop on Hop off.

One of our best tram rides was out to St Kilda. We had a good look around there. Next time we are going back to visit THAT amazing Cake shop..:D:D

Not all trams in the "City" are free, which is what the poster said.

If the free city circle tram now travels within the new extended free area, then I stand corrected.

Yes, that was the bit I was referring to, apologies if it appeared I was arguing with everything you wrote.

You might be happy to hear that the signage for the free area has improved - it's printed all over the ground at stops - and they announce over the PA when you are about to leave a free area so no need to keep a lookout.

Its clearly marked at the tram stop if your in a free area or not.

Here is a link to the map of the free area https://cms.ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/Images/maps/Network-maps/PTV_FreeTramZone_Map.pdf

What area does the Free Tram Zone cover?

The new Free Tram Zone includes the area from Queen Victoria Market, across to Victoria Harbour in Docklands, up to Spring Street and over to Flinders Street Station and Federation Square.

Travel on trams within this zone is free; however, if your journey starts or finishes outside the boundaries of the Free Tram Zone, you must touch on your myki at the reader in the normal way to make sure you have a valid ticket.

If you travel outside the Free Tram Zone without touching on, you are not travelling with a valid ticket and risk receiving a $75 on-the-spot penalty fare or a $217 fine for adults ($74 for children aged under 18).

The Free Tram Zone signs at tram stops will identify the boundaries of the zone.

Its basically the CBD area. I would avoid getting on the City Circle ugly brown trams. They hard to climb on board for people with mobility issues and crowded with very few seats. I wish they would deservice them.

Edited by icat2000

Every time we have taken the free City Circle Tram it has been very crowded. Hard to see where you are. Forget sightseeing from it , but excellent to get around and use as a Hop on Hop off.

One of our best tram rides was out to St Kilda. We had a good look around there. Next time we are going back to visit THAT amazing Cake shop..:D:D

Oh yes David, the amazing cake shops, but no need to go to St Kilda,

there is one in Lonsdale Street which is just as good.:)

Oh yes David, the amazing cake shops, but no need to go to St Kilda,

there is one in Lonsdale Street which is just as good.:)

Hi Awesome girl, I am on a cruise in a few weeks that stops in Melbourne. Can you please tell me the name of the Cake Shop - or if you don't know which end of Lonsdale Street it is situated or any landmarks around it so that I can ferret it out. Thanks.

Hi Awesome girl, I am on a cruise in a few weeks that stops in Melbourne. Can you please tell me the name of the Cake Shop - or if you don't know which end of Lonsdale Street it is situated or any landmarks around it so that I can ferret it out. Thanks.

I think it is called the Continental, if you are in the Bourke Street Mall,

turn left into Swanson Street and keep walking up until you come to

Lonsdale and turn right into Lonsdale, it's on the right about another

block. Hope my directions are clear enough, by the way the coffee is

good too. DH reckons I'm like a kid in a lolly shop when we go there,

enjoy.:)

The best sticky cake street in Melbourne is Ackland Street in St Kilda on the waterfront . You need Myki to get there. From Station Pier take # 109 tram up town till it turns into Clarendon St after a tram junction . Alight at the first stop cross to the oppositte tram stop and take a # 96 to St Kilda right to the end of the line terminus in Ackland Street . With Myki and trams you touch on on boarding each individual tram, but no need to touch off . Trains you touch on on entering the paltform, and touch off at your destination station . MYKI welcome packs are sold by PTV staff in the Cruise Terminal .

Melbourne has a world class zoo where you can see all the Australian animals. Take # 109 tram uptown to corner of Spencer & Collins Street where you will find the ultra modern Southern Cross station . Take the escalator upstairs to the Suburban concourse and take an Upfield Line train to ROYAL PARK station for the Zoo . Myki valid for this trip .