Ruby or Star to Hawaii?

DShock

I've sailed both ships - either would be a fine choice. They are both at the usual excellent Princess standard.

That being said, I would choose Star Princess over Ruby due to the conservatory (covered pool) area and the fact that Star Princess has fewer passengers. While that might not make a difference from the standpoint of the ship - especially if the weather is good and everyone is out on deck - but it does make a difference getting on and off the ship. Maui is a tender port and Hilo always has long lines to get onto the ship.

It's supposed to be a relaxing vacation and dealing with 500 less people in my mind makes it more relaxing...

Elua was on our last two cruises. Definitely a plus as they add a wonderfully Hawaiian atmosphere to the ship. I understand there's now two more "ambassador" pairs. So hopefully that continues.

While I know everyone loves Elua, I would also like to say that on our last Hawaiian cruise in April we were fortunate to have Brian and Rowena as our ambassadors. They were not only great at teaching hula, lei making, and ukulele but were so funny and entertaining.We are taking this same cruise in March and then again in October. The Ruby is a wonderful ship and the extra 500 passengers was NEVER an issue. Can't go wrong with either ship.