Ruby or Star to Hawaii?

DShock

I'd choose Ruby because I've sailed Star a couple of times and never sailed Ruby. ;) In addition I've always seen rave reviews for Ruby Princess.

I doubt you will be disappointed in either ship. I'm sure those who have sailed both ships will be chiming in here to give you comparisons.

Either way, you will almost certainly have a great cruise.

Edited by Thrak

I've done six Hawaii cruises. I think the embarkation port would be more important to me than the ship. You will probably have nicer weather sailing out of San Pedro than San Francisco.

The Ruby doesn't have a covered pool, while the Star does. I like the Skywalker's on the Star better, but the Ruby has a nice Adagio Bar. The Ruby is getting a new show "Magic to Do" and the new "Stones" restaurant.

Decide what is most important to you, and then pick. You really can't go wrong with either ship.

Advantages of the Star:

Indoor Pool area for the cool days crossing over and back.

Conservatory above the indoor pool.

500 less passengers.

Vista Lounge which is an extra show lounge for guest entertainers.

Advantages of the Ruby:

Share will replace Sabatini's in December. You can decide if this is an advantage, disadvantage or neutral.

Adaigio Lounge if you like quiet reading time.

Neptune's Reef Pool is MUTS free.

Elua is scheduled to be on the Ruby, but the Star will also have an Hawaiian team on board.

We have been on both and both ships are great. Did Hawaii a couple of years ago on the Star and thought Elua was great. Doing Hawaii on the Ruby this go around because Elua is on the cruise.

BTW, Elua is the Hawaiian word for "two". EULA would stand for End User License Agreement as in what you agree to when you install software. :D:cool:

Edited by ar1950

i went to the Princess site and it looks like the Star is leaving out of Vancouver and the Ruby is out of San Pedro. If you live near Vancouver, go with the Star. I'm showing starting prices at $300.00 cheaper, per person, for the Star. If you live near Los Angeles, then take the Ruby. The savings isn't worth buying a ticket to Vancouver.

I would be partial to the Ruby (but honestly have never sailed on the Star).

Newer ship overall with slightly more tonnage to take on the Pacific.

She's a big girl and has always accommodated the 'extra' deck of passengers well in our opinion, we never felt any more/less crowed than on any other grand class ship.

Newer venues or shows would be a treat as well, if available.

Eula also helps to score a mark favoring Ruby, along with the US departure port.

We also really do prefer the Riviera Aft facing balcony cabins on that ship, Star does not have these.

All of these reasons i list are personal preferences, let your own drive your decision!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by msw.delafield

I've done six Hawaii cruises. I think the embarkation port would be more important to me than the ship. You will probably have nicer weather sailing out of San Pedro than San Francisco.

The Ruby doesn't have a covered pool, while the Star does. I like the Skywalker's on the Star better, but the Ruby has a nice Adagio Bar. The Ruby is getting a new show "Magic to Do" and the new "Stones" restaurant.

Decide what is most important to you, and then pick. You really can't go wrong with either ship.

I agree, more information is needed. If I had a choice, I'd pick the Star again. We took her to Hawaii, and the ship was great.

I'd be happy on either ship -- they each have their pros and cons but none of the cons are dealbreakers and none of the pros are showstoppers. In my opinion only, of course.

So, here are the questions I'd ask myself: Which departure port is cheaper to fly to? Which one would be more entertaining to spend a day pre-cruise? Are the itineraries exactly identical: are you in port longer on one ship than the other? Does one itinerary go to Ensenada first instead of last? What days of the week are you in the ports and would that make a difference to your plans (i.e., is touring Pearl Harbor more crowded on weekends? Does X attraction only operate on Saturdays/Sundays?)?

I'd be happy on either ship -- they each have their pros and cons but none of the cons are dealbreakers and none of the pros are showstoppers. In my opinion only, of course.

So, here are the questions I'd ask myself: Which departure port is cheaper to fly to? Which one would be more entertaining to spend a day pre-cruise? Are the itineraries exactly identical: are you in port longer on one ship than the other? Does one itinerary go to Ensenada first instead of last? What days of the week are you in the ports and would that make a difference to your plans (i.e., is touring Pearl Harbor more crowded on weekends? Does X attraction only operate on Saturdays/Sundays?)?

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

OP lives in Colorado.

A long walk to either port.

However flights are much more reasonable from Denver to LA rather than going to Vancouver, walking not withstanding. And just for chuckles and grins:

BTW, Elua is the Hawaiian word for "two". EULA would stand for End User License Agreement as in what you agree to when you install software.

:D:cool: Edited by ar1950

My points for Star.

Star - Vancouver is a much, MUCH more interesting port to cruise out of than San Pedro. If you could spend an extra day before or after the cruise, all the better. No need to rent a car.

Star - 500 less passengers on a 10 sea day cruise can impact your enjoyment if you are inclined to enjoy fewer people.

Star - Leaving from Vancouver, Princess does not have to go to Ensenada. For many, that is a major PLUS. Others may think differently.

There are Hawaiian ambassadors on both ships doing the Hawaiian cruises.

Ruby is a fine ship but for this particular itinerary, I would go with the Star.

We really felt the crowds on Ruby compared to the Grand and this is the one thing that might deter us from booking Princess next time, although we loved many things about her. Would love to have a different Princess choice from LA.

However flights are much more reasonable from Denver to LA rather than going to Vancouver, walking not withstanding. And just for chuckles and grins:

:D:cool:

I would rather visit Vancouver than LA for a pre-cruise.