Ebola Paranoia

ToadOfToadHall

I've just has an email from Cunard which says:

* Important Information - Ebola Health Screening *

Following the recent news regarding the Ebola virus, we wish to advise you that

in collaboration with international health authorities we have implemented new

screening and boarding procedures. Any passenger or crew member who has

travelled to or through Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea within 21 days of their

cruise departure date will be denied boarding.

This policy also applies to anyone who has had contact with or helped care for,

a person suspected of having Ebola within 21 days of their cruise departure

date. We are also screening our bookings for any passengers coming from these

countries. We continue to monitor the situation closely, along with our

colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. If you require further

information on Ebola, you can visit the World Health Organization's website at

http://www.who.int or the NHS website at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ebola-virus.

Should you have any questions or concerns about these travel requirements,

please contact us on 0843 374 0000.

That takes paranoia and ignorance to a whole new level. You can't catch Ebola just because you happen to be in a certain country. It's reminiscent of the 1980s AIDS paranoia.

I've just has an email from Cunard which says:

* Important Information - Ebola Health Screening *

Following the recent news regarding the Ebola virus, we wish to advise you that

in collaboration with international health authorities we have implemented new

screening and boarding procedures. Any passenger or crew member who has

travelled to or through Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea within 21 days of their

cruise departure date will be denied boarding.

This policy also applies to anyone who has had contact with or helped care for,

a person suspected of having Ebola within 21 days of their cruise departure

date. We are also screening our bookings for any passengers coming from these

countries. We continue to monitor the situation closely, along with our

colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. If you require further

information on Ebola, you can visit the World Health Organization's website at

http://www.who.int or the NHS website at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ebola-virus.

Should you have any questions or concerns about these travel requirements,

please contact us on 0843 374 0000.

That takes paranoia and ignorance to a whole new level. You can't catch Ebola just because you happen to be in a certain country. It's reminiscent of the 1980s AIDS paranoia.

With respect, I'm going to disagree on this one. The countries mentioned have been in the spotlight for outbreaks. This isn't true of most countries. However. I am surprised that this is reappearing again - I wasn't aware there are new outbreaks?

There is precedent for this kind of action. Airlines and cruise lines followed similar procedures in certain Asian countries during the SARS outbreak a number of years ago.

Also, comparing AIDS to Ebola isn't a just comparison, namely because the latter is contagious while the former is not something that is caught by merely being in proximity.

Ultimately, Cunard is acting in a responsible manner.

Also, comparing AIDS to Ebola isn't a just comparison, namely because the latter is contagious while the former is not something that is caught by merely being in proximity.

As you say, you can't get AIDs merely by being in someone's proximity. And the same is true of Ebola. I rest my case.

As you say, you can't get AIDs merely by being in someone's proximity. And the same is true of Ebola. I rest my case.

Actually, Ebola can be transmitted through physical proximity to bodily fluids like sweat.

The NHS also lists parts of Africa as risky for catching Ebola:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ebola-virus/pages/ebola-virus.aspx

So, I will continue to agree with Cunard - they are being responsible. I feel that your criticism is unwarranted.

After I compared their paranoia to AIDS I looked it up:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1413425

So The New England Journal of Medicine draws on the same comparison as I did.

And the WHO describes the transmission:

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

So the WHO say it's pretty difficult to catch it, it's not simply a case of just happening to have been in a specified country.

So Cunard are not only showing paranoia and ignorance, they also several months behind the rest of the world as well.

After I compared their paranoia to AIDS I looked it up:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1413425

So The New England Journal of Medicine draws on the same comparison as I did.

And the WHO describes the transmission:

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

So the WHO say it's pretty difficult to catch it, it's not simply a case of just happening to have been in a specified country.

So Cunard are not only showing paranoia and ignorance, they also several months behind the rest of the world as well.

Here's the thing: Ebola can be caught through physical proximity. That's a fact which is outlined in the links you have provided. Yes, it's not like simply coughing is going to lead to people getting it, but that doesn't discredit the decision by Cunard taking precautions.

Asking people to declare if they've been to areas of high risk isn't paranoid. It is being cautious.

And I maintain that the AIDS comparison is completely unjust given that Ebola can be caught through contact with sweat and mucous, while AIDS cannot. It's an apples and oranges argument.

Good to see that Cunard takes the health and safety of guests seriously. Now, if only people with flus and possible Noro would be upfront and declare at embarkation like they are meant to!

I've opened the same email from Cunard this morning, we are sailing next month.

I hope Cunard read this, maybe they should ask passengers before booking and paying. I appreciate no one wishes this dreadful disease to spread and all necessary steps to be taken to eradicate this must be taken but we have to rely on passengers honesty to admit if they have travelled in these areas only to be denied boarding at port.

Now, if only people with flus and possible Noro would be upfront and declare at embarkation like they are meant to!

That's never going to happen, is it ?

I mean, come on, who's going to answer that they have flu/noro symptoms ? No one is because if you did then either they would not let you on your cruise or they would lock you in your cabin for several days. So no one is going to admit to anything.

..but we have to rely on passengers honesty to admit if they have travelled in these areas only to be denied boarding at port.

Exactly. Who's going to admit to it ?

But it's classic box-ticking. They asked - you lied. Conclusion ? They are in the clear.

"Have you got a bomb in your bag sir ?"

"Let me think about that one for a minute".

That's never going to happen, is it ?

I mean, come on, who's going to answer that they have flu/noro symptoms ? No one is because if you did then either they would not let you on your cruise or they would lock you in your cabin for several days. So no one is going to admit to anything.

True, people are unlikely to admit this. It is pretty selfish, but I understand why people don't admit they've got flu symptoms.

True, people are unlikely to admit this. It is pretty selfish, but I understand why people don't admit they've got flu symptoms.

Nor would they admit that they had visited the listed countries and for just the same reason.

David.

Areas of travel outside of the cozy EU will show up on ones passport so lying will only get you in further trouble.

Earlier in the year I posted a musing about whether this coming year's World cruise might be one of the last. Yes I know everyone is marketing the 2017 cruises but if one runs down all of the places these ships visit one finds many of them having had at least one serious bombing, tourist attack or riot against the government in the past 12 months. The world is getting very unsafe sadly it feels like the prelude to another catastrophe of epic proportion.

In the mean time let's us all have a terrific weekend.

Areas of travel outside of the cozy EU will show up on ones passport so lying will only get you in further trouble.

Earlier in the year I posted a musing about whether this coming year's World cruise might be one of the last. Yes I know everyone is marketing the 2017 cruises but if one runs down all of the places these ships visit one finds many of them having had at least one serious bombing, tourist attack or riot against the government in the past 12 months. The world is getting very unsafe sadly it feels like the prelude to another catastrophe of epic proportion.

In the mean time let's us all have a terrific weekend.

Best you stay at home then lakes region...all safe and sound. Oh wait...more accidents happen around the home than anywhere else. Ah well....

Edited by roscoe39

On checkin passports are swiped, never examined so who would know.

David.