Hotels in Charlotte, NC

mrsrads

We are driving from Canada to Charleston and looking to stop in Charlotte (just so we are closer to Charleston. Anyone have any recommendations of where to stay that is close to highway in Charlotte?? Cheap? Basically just to sleep! Thanks

We are driving from Canada to Charleston and looking to stop in Charlotte (just so we are closer to Charleston. Anyone have any recommendations of where to stay that is close to highway in Charlotte?? Cheap? Basically just to sleep! Thanks

not sure about the hotel, but if you are coming south on I-77 on a weekday I would make sure I got south of Charlotte before stopping...maybe Rock Hill which is just over the border in SC. Traffic coming into Charlotte from the north is extremely bad on workdays.

hope you have a great trip.

Edited by alexspepa

Thank you....we wouldn't be getting into Charlotte til about 9 or 10 at night? Do you think that would be ok? We are driving 10 hours the first day so we don't have so far in the morning of the cruise.....so I don't know if we want to go much farther than Charlotte?

Thank you....we wouldn't be getting into Charlotte til about 9 or 10 at night? Do you think that would be ok? We are driving 10 hours the first day so we don't have so far in the morning of the cruise.....so I don't know if we want to go much farther than Charlotte?

I'm not sure you have your travel time estimate right. I lived (and now live) in the Philadelphia, PA area. We lived outside Charlotte for 3 years and drove between Charlotte and the Philly area MANY times, and never made it in under 10 hours, even with stops limited to quick, go pee, grab a snack while I fill the gas tank. If you are planning on making it from Canada to Charlotte in 10 hours, you might want to re-think that.

That being said, there are plenty of hotels available near the airport. Look for Hotels on or off of South Tryon St. near Billy Graham Parkway. There is a Courtyard, an Embassy suites a Hyatt, a La Quinta among others. This will be right off of Exit 6A on I-77.

Rock Hill is also my recommendation. And gas always seems to be cheaper there...It's not that much farther than Charlotte, maybe 20 miles. I would opt for exit 79, Dave Lyle Blvd. Incidentally, if you haven't traveled south on I-77 before, be aware that it becomes a turnpike with tolls south of Charleston, WVa. There will be three toll plazas, $2 each. cash only, or EZPass. It will be back to regular interstate before you go through the tunnel into VA. Two tunnels, if I remember correctly...EM

I'm not sure you have your travel time estimate right. I lived (and now live) in the Philadelphia, PA area. We lived outside Charlotte for 3 years and drove between Charlotte and the Philly area MANY times, and never made it in under 10 hours, even with stops limited to quick, go pee, grab a snack while I fill the gas tank. If you are planning on making it from Canada to Charlotte in 10 hours, you might want to re-think that.

That being said, there are plenty of hotels available near the airport. Look for Hotels on or off of South Tryon St. near Billy Graham Parkway. There is a Courtyard, an Embassy suites a Hyatt, a La Quinta among others. This will be right off of Exit 6A on I-77.

Thank you for your help however Canada is a very big country and I'm in a border city My brother played hockey there for years and we driven there several times I'm not factoring in the stops we will be making however they will all be quick as we are on a mission to get there. We are packing a cooler so basically our stops will be for gas only We may just drive all the way through to Charleston but haven't decided that yet If so do you have any hotel recommendations for there as well ?

I also recommend Rock Hill, or the Hampton Inn on Hwy 160 in Fort Mill. Just do NOT stay anywhere off the exit to Carowinds amusement park/exit 90 in SC. If you go all the way to Charleston there are countless options. We often stay in Mt. Pleasant near Patriots Point if we just need an inexpensive place to sleep. It's worth the splurge to stay in the historic district if you want to tour this absolutely lovely city though.

I'm unsure as to why Badger nixes the Carowinds exit on I-77 (exit 1 into SC). There are several national chain hotels there & a Cracker Barrel plus a couple of fast foods.

the Carowinds amusement park is closed until next May, so traffic isn't bad. Since you'll be going south, morning rush hour won't be an issue. Charleston is about 3 hrs, from that exit.

I live very near the exit; use it several times weekly. Also, SC gas prices there: currently $1.85/gal. There is a station at the Dave Lyle exit in Rock Hill that is usually a few cents cheaper.

Stopping north of the city means fighting morning rush hour unless you wait until about 9:30-10:00.

Have a safe trip!

Edited by DRS/NC

I'm unsure as to why Badger nixes the Carowinds exit on I-77 (exit 1 into SC). There are several national chain hotels there & a Cracker Barrel plus a couple of fast foods.

the Carowinds amusement park is closed until next May, so traffic isn't bad. Since you'll be going south, morning rush hour won't be an issue. Charleston is about 3 hrs, from that exit.

I live very near the exit; use it several times weekly. Also, SC gas prices there: currently $1.85/gal. There is a station at the Dave Lyle exit in Rock Hill that is usually a few cents cheaper.

Stopping north of the city means fighting morning rush hour unless you wait until about 9:30-10:00.

Have a safe trip!

So this Carowinds exit off the I77 is in Charlotte? I love Cracker Barrel! Lol

Edited by mrsrads

I live near that exit as well in SC. It is notorious for hookers at several of those national chains. It's not dangerous per se, but in the last few months prostitutes have been arrested at at least 3 of those hotels (Sleep Inn, Clarion and Comfort Inn) plus a drug bust at the Clarion. I go to the Cracker Barrel and send my young teens alone to Carowinds so I'm not arguing it's dangerous. But about I would never recommend someone stay someplace where guests have had hookers knocking on doors at night, even if it only happens a few times a year. I've never heard of any violent crime though.

I'd just rather go down 2 exits.

Btw ... Fort Mill (where Carowinds is located) is an affluent suburb with the best schools in the state. Crime us low and it is a lovely place to live. I don't mean to make it sound nasty. Lol. A quick Google search of "Fort Mill prostitutioom arrest " will show why I wouldn't recommend that exit as a first choice .... but thousands of people do stay without incident.

And do buy gas in Rock Hill as suggested .... it is even cheaper than Fort Mill!A few weeks ago it was the cheapest gas in the country!

As other have suggested, though not so clearly, wherever you stay (assuming you will be driving south on I77) make sure that you stay south of I85 in Charlotte. Other than that it really doesn't matter though driving 5 or 10 more minutes before stopping may save you an hour in traffic the next morning.