Just off Explorer and Premium Drink Packages

Bluekat74

The premium Drink packages have a hell of alot to answer for.

I took my son on the Explorer recently and seeing drunk stumbling older ladies onboard was not a pleasant experience. Yes everyone is entitled to a happy holiday, but seeing that type of behaviour, watching ladies seriously not being able to walk, except up to a bar and being served yet another drink, after having just downed one five minutes ago was really horrible. Was half expecting to see one fall over and break their hips at some stages, and seeing people have to assist them back to their cabins was not exactly nice. But hats off to them, they slept, then started it all again the following day!

If you love getting drunk and everything you'll love the packages, because they dont slow down serving you drinks, and you can be a right pathetic drunk onboard early on in the evening making things uncomfortable for those with families.

I can't say I've seen a lot of out of control or even obvious drunks. But not surprised with what you experienced. I was actually surprised Royal Caribbean even started drink packages. To me it just was an invitation for a drunkfest. Heck, I pay for a buffet I'm darn well going to eat enough to make it worth the money. Same with a drink package. If I need to drink 6 drinks everyday, I will. Anyway, I've been surprised (pleasantly) that there hasn't been a lot of bad drunk behavior on the cruises I've been on.

But there are drunks. We have a friend who had a drink package. She sure made it worth her while. She wasn't obvious to others, but was to us. Honestly, I don't know how she did it. But I realize that she likely would have drunk that much anyway. Just would have paid per drink. So I'm not sure the package is really the cause, but it sure isn't the cure.

Edited by papaflamingo

The bartender should have cut them off. Nobody wants to see drunk people stumbling around, nor is it safe.

However, what does it have to do with a drink package? Really, with your logic, they should cut them off when on a drink package and keep it flowing when paying per drink. People who drink to that extent are likely to keep drinking regardless of how they pay for it.

There is always a chance this is going to happen on a cruise ship and you should know that. It's a floating buffet and bar. There are bars everywhere and people drinking at them. You won't be able to avoid it.

Personally, I don't recall seeing anyone that intoxicated on my cruises yet. So, the majority of people appear to control their drinking.

The bartender should have cut them off. Nobody wants to see drunk people stumbling around, nor is it safe.

However, what does it have to do with a drink package? Really, with your logic, they should cut them off when on a drink package and keep it flowing when paying per drink. People who drink to that extent are likely to keep drinking regardless of how they pay for it.

There is always a chance this is going to happen on a cruise ship and you should know that. It's a floating buffet and bar. There are bars everywhere and people drinking at them. You won't be able to avoid it.

Personally, I don't recall seeing anyone that intoxicated on my cruises yet. So, the majority of people appear to control their drinking.

I have seen the most drunk people on Royal before the packages were ever around. To the OP sorry you (and your son) had to experience that, but I truly do feel that it has nothing to do with the packages being available. People who act like that will do it regardless of the package or not.

Pre-drink packages on cruise lines, DH and I went on a short cruise on another line. People were drunk and stumbling all over the place before the ship even left the dock in NYC. I don't think drink packages are the reason why people drink in excess, nor do I think that the drink packages have helped or hurt the likelihood in seeing this kind of behavior. I do tend to think that these people would be in the same condition with or without a drink package. I have seen it occasionally on our RCCL cruises as well as on other lines, but also in Disney, and on other land vacations... I think it has more to do with people being on vacation than it does on them having a drink package.

The premium Drink packages have a hell of alot to answer for.

I took my son on the Explorer recently and seeing drunk stumbling older ladies onboard was not a pleasant experience. Yes everyone is entitled to a happy holiday, but seeing that type of behaviour, watching ladies seriously not being able to walk, except up to a bar and being served yet another drink, after having just downed one five minutes ago was really horrible. Was half expecting to see one fall over and break their hips at some stages, and seeing people have to assist them back to their cabins was not exactly nice. But hats off to them, they slept, then started it all again the following day!

If you love getting drunk and everything you'll love the packages, because they dont slow down serving you drinks, and you can be a right pathetic drunk onboard early on in the evening making things uncomfortable for those with families.

how do you know they had drink packages? Why were you following them around?

how do you know they had drink packages? Why were you following them around?

We were seated on the table next to them in the main dining room and would hear them calculate the amount they had been drinking each night. It wasn't a quiet conversation.

I guess I'm just a bit more sensitive to seeing elderly intoxicated people that need assistance walking due to working in the medical profession. Younger people, yep, a dime a dozen, and them falling wouldn't be fatal, its just disappointing that due to hanging out around some of the same areas you could easily tell they were utterly intoxicated but there was no stopping the bar tender from continuing to serve them.