Here is some gossip

Gaznjo

Could p & o be inheriting another ship.... This is what I read in another thread

"We decided to sign up for this one sooner than later because there was a lot of "buzz" on the ship about 2017 being the last year for Prinsendam before HAL gives it to their sister company P & O Australia."

Could p & o be inheriting another ship.... This is what I read in another thread

"We decided to sign up for this one sooner than later because there was a lot of "buzz" on the ship about 2017 being the last year for Prinsendam before HAL gives it to their sister company P & O Australia."

The HAL faithfuls will go nuts if that happens. Though Prisendam would be perrrrrrrrrfect for little runs up to French Polynesia and those other Islands that Princess have pulled out of.

There have always been rumours about Prinsendam ever since she joined the HAL fleet. I dont think HAL really wanted her , but Carnival had other ideas. HAL ships have a distinct layout and Prinsendam is the odd one out. Many HAL regulars would not sail on her .To compensate for that they sent her on World Journeys and off to Exotic destinations.

Originally she was the Royal Viking Sun , a very luxurious and upmarket ship for its day. Its getting on a bit now ...I think Australia could do a lot better than accept another old ship.

Sorry to spoil your rumour but the "new" ship to be named pacific explorer and be joining in early 2017 is the old dawn princess.

While the Prisendam conforms with past practices, she is almost 30 yrs old, has sailed under three previous owners and names she is only 38000 tonnes. These small ships are no longer economical to run given passenger numbers age and fuel costs. The trend seems tobe towards 50000+ ships to maximise passenger numbers.

As to my statement regarding the old dawn princess that is taken direct from P&O own website.

destinations.

Originally she was the Royal Viking Sun , a very luxurious and upmarket ship for its day. Its getting on a bit now ...I think Australia could do a lot better than accept another old ship.

Hi Folks

Yes! we can do without another old girl down here , Built in 1988 makes her 27 years old , my thoughts are that the average life of a ship is about 30 years so she unfortunately does not have long to go.

And P &O are I believe trying to cast off their reputation of sailing "hand me downs"

It would be nice too see P&O with a brand new "Canberra" ..... but I'm sure that they would call her "Pacific Polly" instead

Regards

John

Hi Folks

The Australian cruise market , is growing, its an area that is "safe" and likely to be a destination of choice in the future.

Sending more "Old Ladies" down under is no longer an option the market demands ships with have most of the facilities than the US market expects as normal.

There is huge demand for nice ships to operate from Australia ALL THE YEAR ROUND

The lines that grasp this concept will do very well in the Australian / South Pacific marketplace , but flooding the area with old sub standard tonnage will not do you a bit of good..

Regards

John

Hi Folks

Yes! we can do without another old girl down here , Built in 1988 makes her 27 years old , my thoughts are that the average life of a ship is about 30 years so she unfortunately does not have long to go.

And P &O are I believe trying to cast off their reputation of sailing "hand me downs"

It would be nice too see P&O with a brand new "Canberra" ..... but I'm sure that they would call her "Pacific Polly" instead

Regards

John

John don't forget this ship isn't coming here till 2017 which will make it 29 yrs old. P&O have already confirmed that the Dawn Princess will be the next ship to join. She will be a young 20 yr old LOL so if Prisendam is slated to join after the dawn princess it will not be until 2018 or later making her over 30 yrs old. To me not an economically viable decision.

None of the new ships can get into the little ports.

I don't mind cruising on an older ship if it goes places that the bigger ships can't. I think there is a market for that does cost an arm and leg like sailing on those 6 star lines.

None of the new ships can get into the little ports.

I don't mind cruising on an older ship if it goes places that the bigger ships can't. I think there is a market for that does cost an arm and leg like sailing on those 6 star lines.

Hi Sarah

Yes I agree , but to a point , ships over say 25 years old start to become a problem .

There is a market for what I call "Bristro Class" nice comfortable ships servicing a niche market , ... Oh dear I remember too many "Liners"

I would give a lot to operate a fleet of about six 400 Pax ships in "Traditional" line voyages , well perhaps not exactly line voyages but regular routes to places a little off the beaten track .. Oh dear one can dream i suppose

Best regards

John

Hi Sarah

Yes I agree , but to a point , ships over say 25 years old start to become a problem .

There is a market for what I call "Bristro Class" nice comfortable ships servicing a niche market , ... Oh dear I remember too many "Liners"

I would give a lot to operate a fleet of about six 400 Pax ships in "Traditional" line voyages , well perhaps not exactly line voyages but regular routes to places a little off the beaten track .. Oh dear one can dream i suppose

Best regards

John

There no ships currently that can service that that are not named Silversea etc.

What ships out of the mass line would you suggest that could do the same that are younger than Prissy? Maybe Pacific Princess?

There no ships currently that can service that that are not named Silversea etc.

What ships out of the mass line would you suggest that could do the same that are younger than Prissy? Maybe Pacific Princess?

Yes ...Any of The R ships would be ideal for our waters.

Hi Sarah

Something akin to Peter Deilmann's Deutschland would have been ideal, but she is chartered somewhere in europe if I recall correctly

regards

John