Best (most?) drink for non UBPers on a liquor:dollar ratio?

Jezo

Went to the liquor store last night to scope out the big wine bottle scene.

The cheapest large bottle of wine on sale was $10, thats for one of those magnum things. So that plus the $30 corkage is a $40 dollar bottle of wine.

That's ten glasses of wine for $40, or $4 a drink based off of a 5oz serving according to the Googles.

If a LIT really is only $10 for 5 shots then that still wins.

A dessert wine could be 25% alcohol, which in a 5 oz serviing is 1.25 oz of alcohol for $4.

LIT being 2.5 shots of 40% alcohol, would be 1 oz of alcohol for $10. If it is 5 shots, it would be 2 oz of alcohol for $10, which is still more.

I realize your question is specific to liquor, but it reminds me of NCL cruises pre-UBP when we'd try to get the most beer for the buck. Our solution? A bucket of Fosters.

Bucket of Foster Oil Cans

5 Cans @ 6.95 + 1 Free = $34.75 for 6 x 700ml oil cans.

4200ml, approximately 142 ounces.

$0.24 price per fluid ounce

Bucket of 12oz Bottles

5 Cans @ 5.25 + 1 Free = $26.25 for 6 x 12oz bottles

72 Ounces

$0.36 price per fluid ounce

VERDICT? FOSTERS IS 1/3 LESS EXPENSIVE!

Plus, walking around with a bucket of Fosters is a great workout.

I always get the UBP and you can not use this on a bucket of beer at all....can only get 2 bottles or cans of beer at one time....(unless you get buddy buddy with a bartender);)

A dessert wine could be 25% alcohol, which in a 5 oz serviing is 1.25 oz of alcohol for $4.

LIT being 2.5 shots of 40% alcohol, would be 1 oz of alcohol for $10. If it is 5 shots, it would be 2 oz of alcohol for $10, which is still more.

5 shots is only 2oz of liquor?

5 x 1 oz shots, each being 40% alcohol equates to 2 oz of alcohol. Unless they are using moonshine or bacardi 151

Ohh.. math and chemistry. I think. You are going off of pure alcohol. I got ya. But still that much for that price seems like a loophole in the ship pricing of liquor. Why isn't a LIT $20?

[attach]369099[/attach]

That might be the word's smallest picture..

Try posting here and a link .. img u r.c o m .. it's the biggest image sharing site on the net.

Edited by Jezo

Then you are making yours wrong. It is a full shot. Else it would not fill a glass.

6&8

I'm gonna go with you are not a bartender, because a bartender can make any amount "fit" in a glass.......with that said it's definitely 1/2oz each

It will be interesting to know what recipe NCL uses. My sister is F&B manager at a popular ski resort in Vermont. She is widely regarded as the best bartender ever. I have sent her an email requesting clarification on the commonly used proportions in the industry. At home recipes may differ as revenue is irrelevant. I will report back with her response.

In my pre UBP days I would buy the Viva Vino package and also get buckets of beer.

For the daily cost of the UBP (less than the cost now it's gone up) you can get a bottle of wine and a bucket of beer. When NCL stop offering the package with the cost of the cruise that's likely what I will go back to, rather than buying the UBP.

Then you are making yours wrong. It is a full shot. Else it would not fill a glass.

6&8

With that logic, how does a whisky sour fill up the glass since that is usually made with 1.5 oz and lemon juice.

A standard LIIT is .5 oz (half shot) each of rum, tequilla, triple sec, vodka and gin. The glass is topped off with sour mix and a splash of coke for color. Not to mention the ice that takes up more than half the volume of the glass.

With that logic, how does a whisky sour fill up the glass since that is usually made with 1.5 oz and lemon juice.

A standard LIIT is .5 oz (half shot) each of rum, tequilla, triple sec, vodka and gin. The glass is topped off with sour mix and a splash of coke for color. Not to mention the ice that takes up more than half the volume of the glass.

The standard is .5 oz each but I would love to try one of buckeyefrank's LIIT's! No one has mentioned a Hurricane yet. A traditional Hurricane has 4oz of rum and 4oz of mix.

It will be interesting to know what recipe NCL uses. My sister is F&B manager at a popular ski resort in Vermont. She is widely regarded as the best bartender ever. I have sent her an email requesting clarification on the commonly used proportions in the industry. At home recipes may differ as revenue is irrelevant. I will report back with her response.

Sister responded that .5 oz per variety in a Long Island Ice Tea is the industry standard. At parties, she'll make them closer to .75 for the more robust drinkers.

Edit: I realize that my citing my sister might mean nothing to you, but to me there is no higher authority on the topic. If she ever made you a drink you would understand.

Edited by Jane Don

• 3 weeks later...
Sister responded that .5 oz per variety in a Long Island Ice Tea is the industry standard. At parties, she'll make them closer to .75 for the more robust drinkers.

Edit: I realize that my citing my sister might mean nothing to you, but to me there is no higher authority on the topic. If she ever made you a drink you would understand.

So have we figured out yet how much booze is in an LIT on an NCL ship?

What about getting the bar setup? I could get myself two 1L bottles of stuff for $160 and that should last me (1 person) a 10 day cruise if I ration it correctly.

44 shots over 9 nights means I could have about 4.5 an evening and supplement with a drink or two when needed.

Another perspective to view this thread.

A fifth was designed for the game of golf - 1 shot per hole yielding 18 shots for the course.

The bottles sold on board are liters 1 fifth bigger 5 parts =s liter.

So you can plan on getting at least 18 shots out of a liter with a heavy pour.

You buy a drink on the ship for say a minimum of $7 forget the gratutity taxes etc. at this time.

So you get 18 shots or more out of a liter times the $7 bar drink =s $126.

The bar service bottle will cost you variable from $85 to $130+ I don't have the current menu.

See the picture here a savings of having the bottle in your cabin for consumption mixing at whatever your tastes.

Also compare this to the UBP (Ultimate Beverage Package) - advantage UBP in getting maybe a watered down drink

anywhere on the ship as opposed to having a bottle (or two or three) in your cabin for mixing at your preferred strength.

The UBP covers any and most all drinks - whereas the bottle in your cabin is a fixed item singular selection.

Damn decisions decisions - well I drink to that !

Factor in the gratuities and taxes by either purchase method and it pretty much evens out -

ONLY CAUTION is when and where you buy the UBC or bottle - some ports if you

buy the liquor tax the purchase extra - talk about gouging - research this further !

Miami has tax until the ship is at sea - Texas has antiquated liquor laws -

Hawaii also - No UBP in Hawaii -

and like the beer commercial "Know when to say (enough of this) When" !

Read the forum further for what is best for you - bear in mind that if you are

in a suite haven garden cabin the UBP is complimentary (except Hawaii) but the gratuities are not !

The standard is .5 oz each but I would love to try one of buckeyefrank's LIIT's! No one has mentioned a Hurricane yet. A traditional Hurricane has 4oz of rum and 4oz of mix.

I don't remember getting completely bombed in New Orleans on hurricanes made with Bacardi 151. If the ship carries 150 proof and up and you double or quad those up - you stand a good chance of walking straight should the ship list.