LeGalion Beach

july72807

Just checking to see if this beach is still recommended for a family with small children? It had MIXED reviews on trip advisor some noting it was run down.

What is the current state?

Also, how much and how long is the cab ride from the port to here?

I would like to do the butterfly farm and the beach.

Someone also noted the riding farm - my girls are OBSESSED with horses - any activities for them there?

No idea but that's our plan with our 3 year old and 19 month old (followed by Maho to see the planes in the afternoon). Hopefully it will be great!

Oh, and I heard cabs to Orient are about $8 so I would think Galion would be about the same. We decided to rent a car. The prices are reasonable and we don't have to deal with installing/uninstalling and lugging car seats around.

Edited by alliecatn1

We were at LeGalion last week (11/10/15). This is a quiet beach. A few from the ships, but mostly locals. Many locals had there small children with them.

Not sure what would really be run down. There is only a restaurant and restrooms. We didn't use the restaurant but many people did. We did use the restrooms.

Nothing seemed run down to me but this was our only time to LeGalion.

The taxi ride was maybe 25 minutes. It was $10pp one way for two of us. Not sure if the price goes down with more people.

There were no taxis waiting for return to ship. We had to have the restaurant call one for us. The restaurant requires a deposit, (in the amount your fare would be, so $20) which you get back when the taxi arrives. The taxi arrives, blows horn, and the restaurant gives you your deposit back before you get in the taxi.

This is because if the taxi shows and the customer wanting the taxi left, the restaurant gets charged for calling. So we understand the deposit and have no problem with the deposit.

Now the people next to us, there taxi driver gave them his direct phone number. Our taxi to the beach didn't nor said they could come back at a set time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by l2f

Just checking to see if this beach is still recommended for a family with small children? It had MIXED reviews on trip advisor some noting it was run down.

What is the current state?

Also, how much and how long is the cab ride from the port to here?

I would like to do the butterfly farm and the beach.

Someone also noted the riding farm - my girls are OBSESSED with horses - any activities for them there?

If you are looking for an authentic Caribbean beach with locals and visitors of the island then this is your beach. There is nothing flashy or glitzy or mildly South Beach here. its one of my favorite beaches on the island for just those reasons.

There are riding stables just beside the butterfly farm. Never been though. The Butterfly Farm is very nice, we enjoyed our visit there.

Oh my, Run Down? You are on an island which does not have the wealth found in some other places of the world. Once had a friend who hated Paris, France because he complained it was "old." It is the same kind of thing. While it might not be up to the quality that some seek (no, its not a beach operated by the Ritz Carlton) the beach is fine, the water clean, etc.

Galion is the perfect beach to take young children...which is why the Aruba residents often take their families to that beach. And no, the beach loungers (for rent) are not shiny new.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Oh my, Run Down? You are on an island which does not have the wealth found in some other places of the world. Once had a friend who hated Paris, France because he complained it was "old." It is the same kind of thing. While it might not be up to the quality that some seek (no, its not a beach operated by the Ritz Carlton) the beach is fine, the water clean, etc.

Galion is the perfect beach to take young children...which is why the Aruba residents often take their families to that beach. And no, the beach loungers (for rent) are not shiny new.

Hank

Aruba? That's quite a trip for a beach day. :)

gRY